PDA

View Full Version : 19"x 8.5", 20mm ET with 235's on e34-525i wil they fit?

juan525i
12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
About to buy some rims after saving $ for them for long time but want to be sure they fit help me put before making a mistake and regreting it after.!!!!

1992 bmw 525i
want to buy---- 19"X8.5" 20mm offset with 235" all around

WILL THEY FIT PLEASE HELP ME OUT BEFORE BUYING THEM TOMMOROW OR ARE THEY TOO BIG FOR MY CAR???

Kalevera
12-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Juan - not that I know much more about this, but it's important to note that Tirerack won't recommend a 19 for the e34...not sure why...but it seems you can only get aftermarket 16's, 17's, and 18's that they'll guarantee to fit the car.

Is the thing at stock height?

juan525i
12-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Juan - not that I know much more about this, but it's important to note that Tirerack won't recommend a 19 for the e34...not sure why...but it seems you can only get aftermarket 16's, 17's, and 18's that they'll guarantee to fit the car.

Is the thing at stock height?

I determined the sizes with the formula and the overall height of the stock is well this is what i found==

Stock tire=205-65-15...
8.070"wide
overall height=25.3307"
235-35-19 tires=..
9.2519"wide
overall height=25.476"

525SEI BRIT
12-10-2004, 11:28 AM
they will probable fit but you will regret it! If you use the car every day everyone in the UK sticks to 17"

I’ve been told the suspension geometry is quite different to the M5 and the standard car is very sensitive to oversized wheels. I eventually opted for 235/40/ZR18" front and 265/40/ZR18" rear which I feel are a great compromise between styling and handling and they work fine on smooth roads and motorways but coupled with the 40mm drop and stiffer shocks create quite a harsh ride over the bumps! (I also had to roll the arch’s considerably to minimise rubbing at the rear)

Also worth mentioning before the suspension upgrade I hand 225/50/16” all-round and still experienced rubbing at the rear! (I have no idea what the offset was though) just be prepared for extra work!

Good luck with the wheel choice, let us know how it pans out.

Ps pic not to good but you can just make out were it still rubs slightly when fully loaded only on drivers side! Worth it though

About to buy some rims after saving $ for them for long time but want to be sure they fit help me put before making a mistake and regreting it after.!!!!

1992 bmw 525i

WILL THEY FIT PLEASE HELP ME OUT BEFORE BUYING THEM TOMMOROW OR ARE THEY TOO BIG FOR MY CAR???

drum2430
12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
I have 18" x 8.5" M replicas on my 90 535. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's all the way around ( 235/40 ). I chose to not go larger in the rear because you cannot rotate your tires when you do that. You said you saved $ for a while to do this so you should consider going this route because proper rotation will save you money in the long run. I have stock springs with Bilstein sport shocks. There is no rubbing taking place and the ride is real firm without being bone jarring. Everything that I have read on the subject led me to believe that going larger than 18" is a mistake and a lot of people say 17" is the max. My 18's work fine at stock ride height. Good luck with your choices.

jjw
12-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, the tire size will work. But the important thing, I think, is the offset of the wheels. It may rub the inside, the from strut to be exact. You may want something like ET13 for offset.

MantecaBMW
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
in the rear? I'm looking at the M-Parallels 18x8 235/40/18 for the front and 18x9.5 265/35/18 for the rear and I'm worried about rubbing as well. How bad is yours? I've got the Sachs kit in the garage and want to order my wheels as well so I can do the whole upgrade at once. I do load the back seat every now and then and don't want to get these if I will have problems. The arch's are already rolled in the front and rear....apparently a previous owner had something a bit wider on the car.

Do you have any other pics of your car?

Mark

525SEI BRIT
12-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Not bad enough to be concerned anymore!

There was a sort of lip on the top of the tire-wall u can see in the pic. Its not there any more! But I do live up in the hills at the mo so it only really rubs on the big dips at speed, during every day driving its fine.

However I have virtually no more inner lip left on the arch cos I had to grind it back even more after they were rolled. Passenger side is fine. Id considered machining the mating surface but if it’s the tiniest bit out it will ruined the wheel.

If I was to do it again id probably opt for 255's to save the trouble as I’ve ended up with a hair line crack in the paint work as a result (something to do with all the thick undercoat!!!!!) but its hardly noticeable and its been touched over with lacquer so no risk of rust!

God knows how people get away with 275’s must have a very different offset to the M’s. something ive still not got my head round yet!

ps saving before and after pics till the new year and will want lots of feedback! (Good/ bad.)

MantecaBMW
12-10-2004, 04:07 PM
I'll probably go down to the 255's just to avoid any headaches. I looked closer at the wheel arch's and they look like they were done at the factory....very clean and even on all four corners.....either that or someone really knew what they were doing.

What tires are you running? I've looked at quite a few and I'm torn between the Nitto NT555's and the Yoko AVS DB S2. I drive about 150 miles a day, 5 days a week, all freeway, so I'm looking for something that will get me about 40k or so, handle well and be relatively quiet.

Any recommendations?

Also, I'll get some before and after pics to post early next year. Looking forward to yours.

Mobius
12-11-2004, 11:50 AM

1992 bmw 525i

WILL THEY FIT PLEASE HELP ME OUT BEFORE BUYING THEM TOMMOROW OR ARE THEY TOO BIG FOR MY CAR???Considering that my 18x8.5 ET10 wheels just BARELY clear my hard-rolled fender lip in the front, I'm going to say no.

If you're not lowered - maybe. If you are - forget it. In my opinion, 18s are as big as you should go on an E34 if you intend on driving the thing.

For the record - my car is lowered, and all fenders are rolled as flat as possible.

18x8.5 ET10 w/ 235/40 clears the front
18x9.5 ET16 w/ 265/35 clears the rear

I have some rubbing in the front when I approach uneven surfaces at an angle, but it's tolerable. On my car, I don't think I could go even the slightest bit bigger in any direction. I don't know how people manage to cram 19s on this car (hell, I can't figure out how they fit anything bigger than 265 in the rear - I can't even begin to fit my finger between the shock tube or the fender lip and the tire).