PDA

View Full Version : EML light is ALWAYS staying on...

Kalevera
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone -

My '90 535iA seems to be running just fine (minus the transmission issues), but the EML light on the dash always stays on....even after the car's turned off, doors are closed. There aren't any engine error codes, so I have no idea where to look. I haven't run the dash test yet, per Bentley's.

It's draining the battery and I need to get it fixed. Any ideas?

whit LOWELL

Kalevera
12-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Bump! Anyone know anything about this?!

uk525
12-09-2004, 12:58 PM
faulty dash circuit board?

i wouldnt have thought if there was a genuine eml fault the light would never turn off

Kalevera
12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Dunno - I'll run diagnostics on the dash, and I'm thinking it is some kind of electrical quirk. I do know that the battery is pretty bad, and that the service indicators do need to be reset...but I'd still think that the eml would turn off with the doors shut, etc... Thanks for your help!

Bill R.
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
ground through the eml control unit. IF the control unit is bad it could go to ground and stay on all the time.

Dunno - I'll run diagnostics on the dash, and I'm thinking it is some kind of electrical quirk. I do know that the battery is pretty bad, and that the service indicators do need to be reset...but I'd still think that the eml would turn off with the doors shut, etc... Thanks for your help!

Kalevera
12-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Bill - thanks for the info. I looked in my trusty trust bentley's and noted that the EML control unit is in the P93 e-box, which I take to mean the one with the DME, abs, and main relays.

Where is the control unit in here, or is it implied that the EML is controlled by the DME? I wish I could get this gremlin out of the system...it's quite frustrating.

Thanks! Lowell

Bill R.
12-10-2004, 12:16 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/emlcontrol.jpg

Bill - thanks for the info. I looked in my trusty trust bentley's and noted that the EML control unit is in the P93 e-box, which I take to mean the one with the DME, abs, and main relays.

Where is the control unit in here, or is it implied that the EML is controlled by the DME? I wish I could get this gremlin out of the system...it's quite frustrating.

Thanks! Lowell

Kalevera
12-10-2004, 01:35 AM
a ha...I'll be yanking that out tomorrow!

Thanks!

rnor5928
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
if Bill you would be so kind to repost that link as to how to disengage the eml light i would be very appreciative, as i have no engine/throttle problems, the only problem is this light that drains the battery every two days which is unbelievably annoying...

shogun
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
From my experience with the E32 750 : get a new cluster and it will solve the problem. Most probably a crack in the cluster circuit board.

On the E32 750 we discuss that very often,
either EML light does not come on at all = the 750 goes into limp home mode and drives like a snail in emergency mode, then we have this solution
EML bulbs (http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/eml_bulb/eml_bulb.html)
or it always stays on =usually a defectice/cracked cluster board

unfortunately you did not mention any model or built year, so here are wiring diagrams for all
BMW Wiring Diagrams (http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/)

you can find more on that on my website.

rnor5928
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
cheers shogun,

yeh sorry i have a e34 530i first registered 1995 but i think it was produced in 94, beautiful car! handles like a dream and has the smoothest engine and gear change action from the 5 speed...so will check this out and let you know how i go!

thanks for the quick reply!

rnor5928
04-07-2011, 03:41 PM
OK looking at those schematics i think ive found the one im looking for on page 327.

X502 Pin 3 Type E (Engine Check light) assuming this is the EML light

next question where should i look for this pin i believe its part of other pins that are white...sorry im confused are these fuses or connections? i just want to get at it and disconnect that light. if that means pulling a fuse located in the engine bay i would much prefer that to taking apart my instrument cluster (dont feel confident with this).

thanks in advance :)

shogun
04-08-2011, 08:57 AM
understanding European wiring
http://www.e38.org/understanding%20euro%20wiring%20diagrams.pdf
you HAVE to learn it!