PDA

View Full Version : Fan Clutch Removal Question

Mitch90535im
12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Anyone have any creative ideas for preventing the water pump pulley from spinning while attempting to remove the fan clutch?

Rigmaster
12-08-2004, 05:15 PM
A couple of methods I've used...one is to put the wrench on the fan clutch nut, then whack it with a hammer (Make sure you hit CLOCKWISE- the threads are reverse from "normal"). Try this 3-4 times and it might work.

If that doesn't work, you can try wedging a thin, long bladed screwdriver in between 2 of the bolt heads that hold the pulley to the water pump- the fan clutch wrench can actually be used to help keep the screwdriver blade from slipping off. You should be able to get enough leverage with one of these methods- though I've had some stuck SOOO tight I didn't think they were ever gonna come loose. If you get one of these, try soaking with PB Blaster or some other quality solvent overnight, then go at it again.

Bret.

632 Regal
12-08-2004, 05:24 PM
patented Bidoli Fan Removal Tools
http://www.bimmer.info/~632regal/Fan%20removal%20tool.jpg

I tried the old vice grip tricks and found out the pulley is made of plastic.

Tiger
12-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Mine is hole on the other side... easy to make with a piece of steel from Home Depot. This tool is a must have item... it makes a world of difference taking the fan clutch out.

Mitch90535im
12-08-2004, 05:33 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Ford fan clutch removal tool (which I think I can borrow from Autozone) would work. Do you happen to know if it will?

Mobius
12-08-2004, 06:48 PM
My main problem was finding a wrench narrow enough to get in there - I ended up using a pair of adjustable-joint pliers and a couple sharp taps from a hammer to break it loose.

Not exactly the prettiest way of getting it done, but it worked fine.

winfred
12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
i like mine better :D
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/fc%20tool%201

patented Bidoli Fan Removal Tools
http://www.bimmer.info/~632regal/Fan%20removal%20tool.jpg

I tried the old vice grip tricks and found out the pulley is made of plastic.

632 Regal
12-08-2004, 09:52 PM
I heard that one after I patented my special tool.

Winfreds special tool dont work cause its left handed.

Tiger
12-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I never got two holes to line up with the bolts... I thought it was a POS... so I made my own to hold one hole and brace it against the other bolt... I guess that is the way to do it.

Rory
12-09-2004, 09:32 AM
I second Rigmaster's solutions. I have used both and usually do the screw driver because I kinda like having my hands in one piece. I suppose that if I removed the fan clutch more than once per year then I would buy a BMW tool. But the screwdriver usually works within a couple whacks for me. Don't forget that the clutch is reverse threaded (righty loosey, lefty tighty). And this way is much cheaper :)

Best,
Rory

JonE
12-09-2004, 10:44 AM
On both of my BMW's I just used the thin open ended wrench from a bicycle shop, about $6 from an on-line source. On the 535 it took about 4 sharp wacks with a regular hammer while wearing gloves "righty loosey" and it loosened up. The 325iC was tighter to get at and I had to jam a tire iron under the belt on a lower pulley to keep it from spinning, got that one with about 8-10 sharp wacks with the hammer. Others seem to have more trouble getting them off. Haven't heard about the Ford tool, let us know if you try that. Sure hate to have to forge one of Jeff's Orc blades just to get that nut off!
Good luck

Mitch90535im
12-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Replaced the fan clutch ("borrowed" the tool from Autozone to hold the waterpump pulley)

Now the bad news - the fan clutch was not my problem.

Back to diagnostics.

1) I believe the thermostat is OK based on the fact that the top radiator hose is hot. Is that a valid assumption?

2) Is there any sure way to test the water-pump on while on the vehicle?
Bentley says to take the belt off and spin and check for play. I'm not sure that is a complete test. I'm looking for a way to tell if it is actually pumping coolant.

3) I'm going to test the aux. fan this evening. I'm really not sure if it is working or not. Question - With the air compressor on should the aux fan run regardless of whether the aux switch on the radiator is bad or not?

4) I'm looking for someone to do a coolant system pressure test (my luck it is a head gasket) but I'm having trouble finding a mechanic willing to diagnois problem unless I'm willing to let him do the work.)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

MB