PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the E34

jjg43
12-08-2004, 09:59 AM
I bought a Volvo for the winter and now it's time to put the E34 in the garage. The garage isn't heated and temps will probably getting in the low teens (maybe even single digits) at night sometimes. I will be taking the car out once in a while just to keep it going but was wondering what I should do to it before storing it. I was thinking a battery charger, fuel stabilizer, etc. How much gas should I leave in the tank? This is the first winter I will be storing it and I was just wondering what should be done.

Thanks,

Phil

Tiger
12-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Full tank of gas with Stabil. Full tank prevent condensation and rust. Stabil prevents settling of fuel.

Battery disconnected or put automatic trickle charger on it. Otherwise, car will drain the battery within one month.

Change oil before storage too. Who wants that sludge in there?

Tires off the ground... not really... just pump all of them to 35PSI to prevent the flatspot or buy one of those gizmo.

Too much work? Then slap on snow tires and just drive em!

JonE
12-08-2004, 02:05 PM
If you will be starting it once a month or so remember to run the AC for a few minutes, this will keep the seals conditioned (R12 is getting expensive). On my E30 I have a battery tender that I got from Northern Hydraulics that safely keeps the battery charged, it just plugs into the wall socket and attaches to the posts on the battery with clips. Cost about $15, I think. If you have a cover for your car, this is the time to use it.

dternst
12-08-2004, 02:35 PM
I bought a Volvo for the winter and now it's time to put the E34 in the garage. The garage isn't heated and temps will probably getting in the low teens (maybe even single digits) at night sometimes. I will be taking the car out once in a while just to keep it going but was wondering what I should do to it before storing it. I was thinking a battery charger, fuel stabilizer, etc. How much gas should I leave in the tank? This is the first winter I will be storing it and I was just wondering what should be done.

Thanks,

Phil

Place moth balls, in a cheesecloth bag, in the engine compartment, in the trunk, and the cabin. It keeps insects and little varments from nesting in those areas.

I'd get a trickle charger or disconnect the battery all together. Two things zap power from the battery: extreme heat and extreme cold.

Don't set the emergency brake or leave the car in gear. Place blocks under the tires.

A good detailing.

Don't start it just for short time. The most harmful things to do is start and run an engine briefly on a cold day. Allow the the car to warm up to normal operating temperatures.

I'll think of more later.

jjg43
12-08-2004, 02:41 PM
If you will be starting it once a month or so remember to run the AC for a few minutes, this will keep the seals conditioned (R12 is getting expensive). On my E30 I have a battery tender that I got from Northern Hydraulics that safely keeps the battery charged, it just plugs into the wall socket and attaches to the posts on the battery with clips. Cost about $15, I think. If you have a cover for your car, this is the time to use it.

Stupid question - On the 535 the battery is under the back seat. It's OK to use the charger on the jumper post under the hood and just ground it to something under there right? I don't have to clip it right to the battery do I? Also, I do have an original BMW E34 cover that came with the car when I bought it and it fits real nice. Anyone know what BMW currently charges for these new?

Thanks,

Phil

George M
12-08-2004, 02:58 PM
All the above with a couple of comments....I just put my E-32 into storage...
- Let the hood and trunk popped slightly to take pressure off the seals.
- Pump the tires up to 55 psi to prevent flat spotting.
- Disconnect the battery...no need to use a trickle charger. The battery should go 3 months in a cold garage without need for charge when disconnected.
- You can loosen your belts to take load off of everything but I generally don't as I will start my car and drive it a bit in late winter to wet all the seals...yeah make sure it gets good an hot before putting it away again.
- I plug the exhaust with a couple of rags...not a bad idea to do the air box too...but don't forget :-)
All the usual other stuff...change the oil...wash it thoroughly...a wax job if you are particular....condition all the leather etc. As far as covers go...find a good quality breathable aftermarket cover...will be less expensive than a BMW cover and do a fine job...don't put a cheap cover on the car. I bought a fitted cover for my iL car.

- Open the windows slightly...I leave my sunroof closed...no need to resync then after reconnecting the battery.
- Opened baking soda box in the interior is optional but not a bad idea.

Those are some more tips.
HTH,
George

Sweetwater
12-08-2004, 03:08 PM
I've got a couple of battery tenders I've used on the motorcycles, can they be plugged into the cigarette lighter to provide a charge?

632 Regal
12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
get the other ends to attach to the post and ground. I think the cycle charger is strong enough for an auto battery...not sure though.

GS535i
12-08-2004, 03:33 PM
The Moth Balls, as Martha would say from her cell, " are a good thing!" I need a few pounds of them myself - sprinkle some on the floor beneath as well.
Three #@%$ times, I've pulled the front firewall gear off to clean dead mice, acorns, nesting material, etc. out of the dual squirrel cage fan: That is no fun - go heavy on the moth balls!

jjg43
12-08-2004, 03:42 PM

...On the 535 the battery is under the back seat. It's OK to use the charger on the jumper post under the hood and just ground it to something under there right? I don't have to clip it right to the battery do I? Also, I do have an original BMW E34 cover that came with the car when I bought it and it fits real nice. Anyone know what BMW currently charges for these new?

Thanks,

Phil

Elekta
12-08-2004, 04:11 PM
you can always buy a cheap trouble light and a heavy duty bulb and a cheap timer...have it run during the night hours if you are gone and there will be prolonged periods of -0 temps. poor man's block heater.