PDA

View Full Version : EDCIII question...

MTechnik540i
12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Well, getting the car in to replace front strut mounts, and figured I might as well replace the front shocks while i'm in the area, only I don't want to replace the front ones with EDC shocks. Is it possible to run only the EDC shocks out back, and do something like Bilstein Sports up front?

Not sure how realistic it is, just figured since the rear was the only area with self-leveling, that I could simply replace the front's with something other than the obviously ridiculous EDC shocks.

Any help would be awesome.

Regards,

Trevor

MTechnik540i
12-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Well, getting the car in to replace front strut mounts, and figured I might as well replace the front shocks while i'm in the area, only I don't want to replace the front ones with EDC shocks. Is it possible to run only the EDC shocks out back, and do something like Bilstein Sports up front?

Not sure how realistic it is, just figured since the rear was the only area with self-leveling, that I could simply replace the front's with something other than the obviously ridiculous EDC shocks.

Any help would be awesome.

Regards,

Trevor

Somebody has to know!

Qsilver7
12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
EDC & Rear self-leveling are two different features . It's kinda like ABS and ASC+T...they feed off each other (eehhh kinda) but they perform two different functions. Rear self-leveling deals with keeping the rear of the car at a predetermined height under load and while driving ...EDC deals with the damping dynamics at all four corners as you are driving and responds in 3 driving curves/dynamics (soft/med/hard).

And besides...if your Front EDC shocks aren't leaking or haven't failed...why would you replace them? They have a tendency to last a lot longer than standard shocks anyway (under normal circumstances). The EDC shocks (all 4) are receiving electronic data from sensors around the car and are responding and adjusting automatically to 3 driving parameters/dynamics (soft, med,hard) accordingly. The EDC shocks have 2 solonoids ... one has a larger orifice than the other...and they open and close electronically allowing the oil within the shock to flow to the upper or lower chamber which creates the appropriate damping property.

Someone with an e39 just asked about removing his and replacing them with Bilsteins...and like what I wrote in that post...I'm almost speechless when it comes to a reply because understanding what EDC is...I find it difficult to believe when someone wants to remove a more superior and automotive marvel to put conventional shocks on. Yes, they are expensive...but if they are not broken...I wouldn't replace the system. If you do replace them...you will need to find a way to deal with the electronic data that would normally go to the front shocks...because not doing so will probably register some type of fault in the system and it will go into default mode...which I believe is either the "soft" setting or the "hard" setting.

MTechnik540i
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
EDC & Rear self-leveling are two different features . It's kinda like ABS and ASC+T...they feed off each other (eehhh kinda) but they perform two different functions. Rear self-leveling deals with keeping the rear of the car at a predetermined height under load and while driving ...EDC deals with the damping dynamics at all four corners as you are driving and responds in 3 driving curves/dynamics (soft/med/hard).

And besides...if your Front EDC shocks aren't leaking or haven't failed...why would you replace them? They have a tendency to last a lot longer than standard shocks anyway (under normal circumstances). The EDC shocks (all 4) are receiving electronic data from sensors around the car and are responding and adjusting automatically to 3 driving parameters/dynamics (soft, med,hard) accordingly. The EDC shocks have 2 solonoids ... one has a larger orifice than the other...and they open and close electronically allowing the oil within the shock to flow to the upper or lower chamber which creates the appropriate damping property.

Someone with an e39 just asked about removing his and replacing them with Bilsteins...and like what I wrote in that post...I'm almost speechless when it comes to a reply because understanding what EDC is...I find it difficult to believe when someone wants to remove a more superior and automotive marvel to put conventional shocks on. Yes, they are expensive...but if they are not broken...I wouldn't replace the system. If you do replace them...you will need to find a way to deal with the electronic data that would normally go to the front shocks...because not doing so will probably register some type of fault in the system and it will go into default mode...which I believe is either the "soft" setting or the "hard" setting.

Yeah, I see what you're saying...thought the leveling also did something with EDC. Anyway, only reason I was thinking about changing just the fronts because I was under the impression that only the rears were the one stiffening in "S" Mode.

Anyway, looks like i'll just hold onto the EDC shocks until they go.