PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT regarding slotted brake rotors

DanDombrowski
12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
So I'm picking out new brake rotors and pads for Daddy's Eclipse. I've been reading a few of the eclipse forums, but then I came here to talk to people that knew something about cars.

I've been told that a ceramic pad tends to wear harder on a slotted or cross drilled rotor. Oddly, the reason for buying a slotted rotor in the first place isnt for performance, its that its cheaper than the dealer's rotor, and all AutoZone has is their 'ValuCraft' garbage, which I'm not putting on.

Does anyone know if this is true? I would think that if I bought the EBC Slotted rotors with EBC GreenStuff Pads that they would work well together, but I don't want to put something on my father's car thats going to wear out in a few months.

Supposedly his wife that drives the car really DRIVES the car, so I dont think that performance brake pads will go unused.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Craig
12-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Slotted rotors are only slightly less unnecessary than cross drilled ones. Save your money and get the plain ones, they will last longer.

Slotted rotors will wear your pads faster since they tend to cut into the pads a little bit.

DanDombrowski
12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Well, that WAS the problem- that the slotted rotors were CHEAPER than the regulars, until I just found some Brembo replacement rotors for $67 each, so I might go with those. For pads, I think I'm going to put on some Axxis Metal Master pads and be done with it.

DueyT
12-05-2004, 06:34 PM
In the pure (non-fashionable) sense, slotted rotors are designed to exhaust gases developed from the pad material during extreme braking. We're talking pretty extreme and repretative, like tracking...the gases would otherwise interfere with full contact of the pad onto the rotor. On standard brakes, a lot of the heat is absorbed into the hub (greatest mass), this is why the M5 ducts direct cool air into the brake hub area...not onto the rotor, per se.

Cheers,
Duey

RobPatt
12-05-2004, 07:01 PM
front disks w/PBR Metal Masters and love them. Pretty low dust, great stopping. (I'm guessing PBR is the same as Axxis?).

Well, that WAS the problem- that the slotted rotors were CHEAPER than the regulars, until I just found some Brembo replacement rotors for $67 each, so I might go with those. For pads, I think I'm going to put on some Axxis Metal Master pads and be done with it.

DanDombrowski
12-05-2004, 09:34 PM
PBR is Axxis which used to be REPCO, I think. I'm just concerned with the opinions I've heard that kevlar or ceramic pads chew up the rotors more, especially more with slotted rotors, but who knows if they have any truth to them. I suppose it really doesn't matter considering that my dad isn't even going to keep the car long enough to wear out the brakes anyway.

Craig
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
In the pure (non-fashionable) sense, slotted rotors are designed to exhaust gases developed from the pad material during extreme braking. We're talking pretty extreme and repretative, like tracking...the gases would otherwise interfere with full contact of the pad onto the rotor.

That's true, but modern pads don't outgas like pads in the past.

winfred
12-05-2004, 10:23 PM
i've got a good 50k miles on the pbr organics and the ate power discs that were installed together on my 90 325ism and it gets DRIVEN, it stops better then any other non m3 e30 i've driven, with the wrong pads (ie el-cheepo) a e30s brakes suck. i have seen a decent improvment in performance and feel with the installation of ate power discs on many different cars, several of them mine 90 325ism, 90 535ia, 84 240 volvo turbo, 88 760 volvo turbo and i would of installed them on my 83 rx7 gsl and 75 240d mercedes if i knew about them, and i just didn't give a **** about my 87 300sdl mercedes i wanted to sell it before something expensive and diffacult to replace broke and only drove it about 15k in 5 years

Slotted rotors are only slightly less unnecessary than cross drilled ones. Save your money and get the plain ones, they will last longer.

Slotted rotors will wear your pads faster since they tend to cut into the pads a little bit.