PDA

View Full Version : Fog light's out again... help...

RobPatt
12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
...left front fog, no voltage to the terminal where it connects to the bulb. Right side is fine, as is the dash lamp. Bentley's EWD page 161 shows that those wires (w/no voltage) go straight to "16" on the LKM. Is there anything I can do? Where is the LKM? Can it be opened? THanks.. -Rob '93 525ia.

netmgr
12-04-2004, 05:47 PM
before you rip out the lkm, check the connecting plug under the bonnet near to the front bumper, multi connection thing sometimes gets corroded.

RobPatt
12-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm not totally sure what you mean, but I took the bulb assembly out, then disconnected the wiring terminal from it... turned on the lights, right fog came on, but there was no voltage to the wiring terminal's contacts on the left side. (right side said 11.84vdc) Is there another connector between the one I checked and the LKM (I hope so 'cause I'm no good at soldering!)
Thanks!

before you rip out the lkm, check the connecting plug under the bonnet near to the front bumper, multi connection thing sometimes gets corroded.

netmgr
12-04-2004, 06:47 PM
according to the etk the front fogs are controlled by relay K47 and the output of this is one line, ie both lamps are illuminated from the 1 source, which has to work ok as the other fog works ok

so if one works and one doesnt its a loose wire connection between that relay and the lamp. as far as a i know there is a plug near the bumper before the lamp, but i cant be positive - either way its a loose/damaged weire/connection on the loom

RobPatt
12-04-2004, 08:13 PM
now I understand... I'll go track down K47 and start the trace... thanks again. -Rob.

according to the etk the front fogs are controlled by relay K47 and the output of this is one line, ie both lamps are illuminated from the 1 source, which has to work ok as the other fog works ok

so if one works and one doesnt its a loose wire connection between that relay and the lamp. as far as a i know there is a plug near the bumper before the lamp, but i cant be positive - either way its a loose/damaged weire/connection on the loom

Bill R.
12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
seperately. You'll probably have to pull the lkm and resolder as needed...

QUOTE=RobPatt]now I understand... I'll go track down K47 and start the trace... thanks again. -Rob.[/QUOTE]

netmgr
12-05-2004, 10:12 AM
not according to my ETK

have a look at this diagram..it shows the 2 front fogs are controlled by one relay...perhaps there were alterations?

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/bmw_e34/6312.0/04.png

Bill R.
12-05-2004, 10:40 AM
ETM, electrical troubleshooting manual.. the etk is the parts manual that bmw dealers use. Next that page of the etm that your showing is from the russian carsoft site and that doesn't apply to US models which have an lkm.
I suspect that thats from a 518,520 or some of the turbodiesels models in europe that don't use an lkm like the US models do.

Here's the schematic from his 93 US model and you can see it goes through the lkm to the foglights

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/1993lkm.jpg

netmgr
12-05-2004, 02:27 PM
as i said perhaps there were alterations, and yes i am well aware of what is an etk and what is an etm, i simply put a k instead of an m..
and yes that is a russian site, however i use it because i can post links to it without having to do a screen dump of my sysadmin program, as it is as far as i am aware the same as mine, it certainly is regard the fog lights and if you pay a visit to the site you would notice it is for 5 Series - E34 (518i, 520i, 525i, 530i, incl. touring) Schematics Model year 1993
Index
- which i believe is the model and year the poster was concerned with

As i stated there may be differences, but for my car a european UK model this is the situation

Bill R.
12-05-2004, 03:39 PM
94 model 518,520. 525td and 525tds, none of which have the lkm that the 525 gas, 530,535 and 540 have.

as i said perhaps there were alterations, and yes i am well aware of what is an etk and what is an etm, i simply put a k instead of an m..
and yes that is a russian site, however i use it because i can post links to it without having to do a screen dump of my sysadmin program, as it is as far as i am aware the same as mine, it certainly is regard the fog lights and if you pay a visit to the site you would notice it is for 5 Series - E34 (518i, 520i, 525i, 530i, incl. touring) Schematics Model year 1993
Index
- which i believe is the model and year the poster was concerned with

As i stated there may be differences, but for my car a european UK model this is the situation

RobPatt
12-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes Bill R, my Bentley's agrees w/your info. Left fog + goes directly to port/pin 16 on the LKM. I wound up pulling the LKM and checking for continuity from that port (on the car, w/LKM out) to the + fog wire. Got the reassuring "BEEP". Wondered if it must be the LKM. Got under the car, traced the ground wire (having never soldered and not wanting to learn on my LKM).... well, the wire was chafed/worn through. It's zip tied about 8 inches above the fog to a hole, and it'd simply wore through I guess from minor vibrations, etc. Splice/crimp, good to go.
And new Sylvania 9006 SilverStars too which look real white and nice.
Easy fix. Thanks. -Rob.

seperately. You'll probably have to pull the lkm and resolder as needed...

QUOTE=RobPatt]now I understand... I'll go track down K47 and start the trace... thanks again. -Rob.[/QUOTE]