PDA

View Full Version : Changing shocks on 1993 318i

Al Gray
12-03-2004, 09:33 PM
I wanted to help out a young friend of my son, Sean. He has a 1993 318i and recently failed NJ State inspection because of damper. We are assuming they mean shocks because his shocks are shot. I have printed out the maintenance instructions on BMWE34.net for the E34. Is the procedure for shock replacement any different on the 1993 318i or is it pretty much like the E34? Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

winfred
12-03-2004, 09:55 PM
the rears are easy, two 13mm nuts on each top mount and one 18mm i think on the bottom, it's harder to get the damn rear speakers out of the way (if he has the big ones) then to change the shocks, get new upper mounts (i preferr the ones for a e30 convertable as they are stronger, should be $25-30 bux each) they are crappy and break easyly and left unfixed will destroy the body that they are bolted through. the fronts are expensive and are assembys not cartrages, so all you gotta to is transfer the spring to the new strut and bolt on, theres no alignment to mess with just straight bolt on with two bolts and one nut/bolt

Al Gray
12-03-2004, 09:58 PM
the rears are easy, two 13mm nuts on each top mount and one 18mm i think on the bottom, it's harder to get the damn rear speakers out of the way (if he has the big ones) then to change the shocks, get new upper mounts (i preferr the ones for a e30 convertable as they are stronger, should be $25-30 bux each) they are crappy and break easyly and left unfixed will destroy the body that they are bolted through. the fronts are expensive and are assembys not cartrages, so all you gotta to is transfer the spring to the new strut and bolt on, theres no alignment to mess with just straight bolt on with two bolts and one nut/bolt

Thanks Winfred! I knew you would come through with something here. Just tryin' to help a young BMW enthusiast out.

winfred
12-03-2004, 10:00 PM
i forgot to say you get to the rears top's through the trunk

Thanks Winfred! I knew you would come through with something here. Just tryin' to help a young BMW enthusiast out.