PDA

View Full Version : wannabe e34 owner

zygoteer
12-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Hello, I'm a very new member of this forum, so my very first question is inevitably about values.

What should I expect to pay for a 1990 (G-reg) 535 auto with no apparent rust and 92k miles ?

netmgr
12-03-2004, 04:48 PM
depends what country ur in...

Paul in NZ
12-03-2004, 05:33 PM
scan the for sales,in newspapers,specialty magazines ,flyers etc,look on the web,look at used car lots,become familiar with the options and specs,you will soon get a feel for the value,course then you have got to assess the value of the car you are looking at with regard to service history,specific condition tyres ...etc etc.DO NOT buy an e34 without getting it looked at by someone who knows WHAT they are looking at and drive a few before committing your self.Look here (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm) for some insight of common problems but do not be overwhelmed by what might happen.These are not cars for the faint of heart!At some time they will either cost a fair ammount of money and or effort,on the other hand they are really a little bit special too!

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 07:22 PM
One of the main factors are maintenance records, very important so that you know if the car was taken care of and what was replaced in relation to what will need to be replaced in the future. The maintenance on these require that you replace virtually everything from time to time.

So to answer your question I would say $10,000 us dollars. This would equate like this... 1000 for the car 9000 for maintenance & repairs or 9000 for the car and 1000 for maintenance and repairs. I hope this kinda makes sence in some sort of way to you. Do not just go and buy one to buy it, make sure you have it inspected well so that you know what you are getting into or you might be a very unhappy BMW owner.

These cars can easily make it to 300k miles before you need to replace the engines.

zygoteer
12-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok that all sounds like good advice thanks all
... I will check history

I do know its a one-owner from new and main dealer serviced ..I will ask to see the records.

This is in England, and he is asking £600 as his doctor has now stopped him driving and he needs to move it cos its annoying him just sat in the garage.

netmgr
12-03-2004, 07:51 PM
im in england too, and a 1990 i would be very wary of.

mines a 1989 but then its been in the family its whole life - i would be very wary of buying a 1989 car in england without absolute proof of some money being spent on it in the past couple of years,

our roads just destroy them with the winters and salt we have and just uk people in general to look after old cars

too be honest, i know u think its a good deal but i wouldnt have it given if all he values it at is £600 - ull spend that triple in weeks - id run away very quickly, to coin a phrase 'its cheap for a reason'

to make a point a 1990 car thats been loved, and i say loved because if its not, its likely to be scrap, lets not forget its now 14 years old, in autotrader a good one would still fetch 3 grand, they would go for more except people in the uk have blinkers on for old cars, they see one at £600 and buy that instead of the more expensive one, and end up regretting it - but honestly as people here know all too well these cars cost a fortune to look after and you really want to look for one thats belonged to a guy who has maintained it regardless of cost, they are just golddust.

i cant stress how bad an idea it is to but a 5 series in the UK thats 14 years old for £600

on the other hand if all u want is something that looks decent but just scrap it when anything happens, i say anything because most things will cost u the purchase price again on this model, then yep go ahead - but not as a long term plan

better spending the money on something thats been loved.

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 07:59 PM
old man...cant drive any more...i'll bet he took pride in that car and kept it clean and followed the maintenanence schedules from the dash indicators. I would say to have the body inspected good for salt damage/rust/oxidation and if the maintenance looks good it might be a good deal. The chance of this guy beating the bloody piss out of it is not as great as if you bought one off a lot in hopes of lucking out. You might really be onto something here!

How many miles?

Whats the value in US?

(too lazy to do the conversion)

netmgr
12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
i know where ur coming from regal, but the value in the US is $1,160..

perhaps thats tells you what its worth..

im not suggesting that its had the arse reved off it...its just that in the UK are roads are different from the US, we coat the roads in salt, we have bad roads and very often street parking

if its £600 its just ****! bottom line

there is always the chance the guy is a lunatic and indeed spent thousands on it but forgotten, but bit unlikely

and i agree he may well of took pride in it and he was a doctor so possibly had a bit of cash...so as im not too heartless id say have a look at it but bear in mind what we say...and ask yourself then why is he selling it soo cheaply?

chamilun
12-04-2004, 11:52 AM
to use the un-used kelly blue book value, it is $5300 here in TN.

that converts to around 2,760 pounds in england.

one upside is youve got a couple thousand pounds to put in it if it turns out to be 'rubbish'.

have mechanic check, and dive on in

Elekta
12-04-2004, 05:15 PM
to use the un-used kelly blue book value, it is $5300 here in TN.

that converts to around 2,760 pounds in england.

one upside is youve got a couple thousand pounds to put in it if it turns out to be 'rubbish'.

have mechanic check, and dive on in

That's what I'm thinking. If it's been maintained at the same dealer it's whole life, you could find out it's entire maintenance history with one print out. Post it here, and we could tell you what's left to replace. Might be able to get the car stabilized in terms of money pit, and end up with a pretty reliable car for under 3,000 pounds.

One owner with a garage
One mechanic
Old geezer never driving it (92k over 14 yrs)

As long as it's not rusted to ****, and the geezer didn't have a great dane in the back seat, I'd say the car (without seeing it or driving it) has good bones.

His mechanic will probably buy it for 600, put in 200 and sell it for 2700 in a month.

host some pics and let us have a crack at it.
good luck

netmgr
12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
a 535 e34, 14 years old at £600 will have no service history other than, oil changed bla bla new tires etc - otherwise the guy would sell it for what its worth.

if it hasnt been lavished it whole life then after 14 years of english roads it will be just a money pit and im afraid gentlemen, as 1 guy put it, if it turns out to be rubbish u still have a few grand left to bring it up to book price - if you honestly think that a few grand spent on a neglected e34 in england will give you a car of the same quality as one purchased for the actual book price then, my friend you are living in a dream world..

spend the money on a quality car in the first place not a neglected one and spend forever catching up with yourself - same goes for any car.

Elekta
12-04-2004, 05:43 PM
I'd dig a little further before I banked on it that's all.

My grandfather's 300D mercedes had 250k on it when he died at 94. It was like a 82 or something, been serviced at the same benz dealership its whole life. My older brother bought it from the estate for like $1200 bucks. He goes to the dealer to get a printout. Turns out my grandfather dropped a completely new engine in the car 5 years ago. All new, wiring harness, everything.

Basically my brother bought a babied garaged creampuff with a motor with 21k on it. They salt the roads on long island too. But if the car practically lives inside, and drives 3-5k a year in 5mile trips on the same road...

As they say in New York, ya nevah know

JonE
12-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Bottom line is, he should be wary as stated above, however, this could be one of those rare opportunities. It is just a matter of assessing the situation as best as one can and it sounds like he's asking for some help in doing that. It sounds to me as if he is making the correct steps to do just that. Keep us posted on this one!

zygoteer
12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice and opinion everyone

I have looked at all the documentation now
... it has a full main dealer history from zero upto and including the 24k service, then a gap which resumes at 38k then all the way up to the present with all the MOT's and bills.
(only done 2340 in last 3 years)
It "seems" to have been maintained regardless ... it is very good condition, paint/body superb and all the toys appear to work.
drives smoooothly too .... was told it wouldnt be as smooth as say a Scorpio Ultima ... but it is, but the kick-down is wonderfully savage on the 535 !

I found out that his wife is selling it on his behalf with power of attorney, as he is far too ill now, and its presence upsets him greatly, so she desperately wants rid of it and is too elderly to cope with advertising and dealing with people ... I was told about the car by one of their close friends

... impressed enough to buy it and benefit from a great deal .. done the deal now and Im very pleased.
Insurance & tax wont be complete until Wednesday 8th ... can't wait !!!!!!

Kalevera
12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Fantastic deal, brother, fantastic deal.

Wish they were as stupidly cheap over here, as well.

LOWELL

632 Regal
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
remember to "study" the car manual there is a LOT of small extras you wont ever know about without reading on it.