PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer question

JonE
12-02-2004, 12:33 PM
My '90 535i doesn't have a CD changer installed, but has the prewired cables (one is round and blue and the other is a small rectangular plug). I know this topic has been done to death, but, I am wondering if there is only very specific units that would "plug and play" for my car? I hate to have to cut wires/solder and all that stuff, if I don't have to. :(
Also, how does one control the changer when it is installed, is it done with the radio controls or ? I don't have the radio manual for my car.

Qsilver7
12-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Also, how does one control the changer when it is installed, is it done with the radio controls or ? I don't have the radio manual for my car.

Yes, you are limited to using only a few of the BMW CD changers or possibly the Pioneer CD MX30 if you want to use the pre-installed cables. If you want to go aftermarket...you'll have to run new cables/wires. Having a pre-1991 model also limits the BMW units available. (sorry) For more info, try searching the archives here or over on roadfly.org...this is about the breadth of my knowledge.

The BMW 6 disk trunk mounted changer is controlled by the BMW radio. You select the changer by pushing the BAND button...this will allow you to scroll thru AM/FM/CD. The PROG button allows you to choose RND (random) which will select tracks randomly from up to 6 CDs inserted in the CD magazine.

(this is the radio from my 95 525iT...pre-91 models may look slightly different)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_333_full.jpg

JonE
12-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the input Q, unfortunately my radio doesn't look like your pic, thus, no prog button, but there must be some other way that my particular radio controls a changer. Is that radio you pictured a Pioneer or an Alpine?
Anyone else out there with more information? Thanks in advance.
Jon

winfred
12-02-2004, 10:07 PM
a 89-90 e34 should look like this one
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/325%20radio.JPG
if so a cdx-m30 and cdx-m6 which are aftermarket pioneer changers will definatly plug into the radio (using the data cable that comes with the changer, i have two cars one using each changer and this head unit) i like the m30 best and it's the most common and easy to find, a couple years ago i found a place on the net selling new m30s for $280 should be able to do less then half that on a ebay'd unit

Thanks for the input Q, unfortunately my radio doesn't look like your pic, thus, no prog button, but there must be some other way that my particular radio controls a changer. Is that radio you pictured a Pioneer or an Alpine?
Anyone else out there with more information? Thanks in advance.
Jon

JonE
12-03-2004, 09:06 AM
thanks Winfred, that's the radio I've got. Anyone know which BMW CD changers will work? There's a guy selling one that has a model # TR1003 with part # 82 11 1 468 014 but don't want to buy it unless it plugs and plays. I guess I might call the dealer to see if it will work.