PDA

View Full Version : coolant mixtures

liquidtiger720
12-02-2004, 01:18 AM
what kind of coolant mixtures are you guys using? im curious, as i will need to flush my coolant soon.

Tiger
12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
60% water/40% coolant

wengenstein
12-02-2004, 10:39 AM
I use 50/50 distilled water/coolant and a bottle of water wetter...

glen-sj
12-02-2004, 10:45 AM
what kind of coolant mixtures are you guys using? im curious, as i will need to flush my coolant soon.

I use a 50/50 mixture of BMW coolant and distill water.

glen-sj

632 Regal
12-02-2004, 01:21 PM
2 gallons of cool blue and distilled water for whatever would fit back in.

something about them damn driver side plugs.

CrimsonBrian
12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
OK, total noob question: We are supposed to dilute that coolant stuff? ARGH! I got the coolant message about six months ago and i just topped it off straight out of the BMW coolant bottle. Bad idea?

Tiger
12-02-2004, 11:43 PM
That's okay... you just upped the mixture... next time add water only.

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 01:53 AM
okay. is local autozone had 50/50 or coolant/antifreeze. is that what i want?

if not. then what kind of coolant to buy (brand) and where to get distilled water?
is water wetter a good idea too?

lesage
12-03-2004, 04:21 AM
I think Im right in saying that distilled water isnt the stuff to use. Its very aggressive, causing some elements in the metal to leech out over time.

It does the same in humans and is suspected of promoting osteoporosis amongst the health freaks that eschew normal 'mineral' water and drink distilled instead. A search around on the web a while back convinced me of this - as well as posts I made on this site which were confirmed

You should therefore use de-ionised water. To avoid your car breaking its little tibia or something...

Tiger
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
This is a hot topic. However, it really doesn't matter as long as you change the coolant every 3 years. Otherwise, people say use only BMW coolant... I'd rather use MB coolant instead.

In my BMW now? The green stuff... so buy whatever you want to... just remember to change the coolant every 3 years regardless of what you put in.

The premixed coolent is an interesting product... using the "right" water vs. using "distilled" which is detrimental to metals if poured directly in... if you premixed the distilled water with coolant, then it is safe.

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
okay, i think im going with any "green" coolant i can find and some distilled water.

Bill R.
12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
mechanical breakdown on US roads is cooling system failure for all cars...
Since i work on so many different makes I have noticed that the cars that stick to the manufacturers recomendations typically seem to last much longer and generally be in better shape as far as the cooling system goes.
Many years ago I fit into the one coolant for all school but now I keep volvo, mb, bmw toyota, gm.chrysler coolants around for each. Its a small price to pay to know that you're running the coolant that was designed for each car and bmw requires that you replace the coolant every 2 years which is about the longest i would stretch it anyway, even with the extended life coolant cars...

This is a hot topic. However, it really doesn't matter as long as you change the coolant every 3 years. Otherwise, people say use only BMW coolant... I'd rather use MB coolant instead.

In my BMW now? The green stuff... so buy whatever you want to... just remember to change the coolant every 3 years regardless of what you put in.

The premixed coolent is an interesting product... using the "right" water vs. using "distilled" which is detrimental to metals if poured directly in... if you premixed the distilled water with coolant, then it is safe.

callen
12-03-2004, 10:51 AM
After replacing two head gaskets on two diff. straight sixes I've switched to liquid gold....BMW antifreeze. Its just painfull to have a hose or waterpump go out....LOL

Callen

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 11:00 AM
As much as you do love your car it is not a living human being. Distilled water in a human has a positive molecular charge and promotes free radicals. This is why mineral water (neutral) is preferred in living things. Your car however likes the stuff over mineral water which will cause mineral buildup and is not designed with our antifreeze and aluminum parts.

NOTE: Distilled water will never boil in a microwave cause it doesnt have any contaminents...Tried it and it's true!

I think Im right in saying that distilled water isnt the stuff to use. Its very aggressive, causing some elements in the metal to leech out over time.

It does the same in humans and is suspected of promoting osteoporosis amongst the health freaks that eschew normal 'mineral' water and drink distilled instead. A search around on the web a while back convinced me of this - as well as posts I made on this site which were confirmed

You should therefore use de-ionised water. To avoid your car breaking its little tibia or something...

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Its almost as special as the Nikasil option.

If you premix you better make sure the system is dry or you will end up with too weak of an antifreeze solution.

:D

wengenstein
12-03-2004, 11:45 AM
werd.

And if you leave distilled water in the microwave long enough, take it out, and then quickly drop in something , like a spoon. You get a pretty nifty result. Just make sure your using an oven mit. :)

As much as you do love your car it is not a living human being. Distilled water in a human has a positive molecular charge and promotes free radicals. This is why mineral water (neutral) is preferred in living things. Your car however likes the stuff over mineral water which will cause mineral buildup and is not designed with our antifreeze and aluminum parts.

NOTE: Distilled water will never boil in a microwave cause it doesnt have any contaminents...Tried it and it's true!

chamilun
12-03-2004, 12:08 PM
save your trip to the dealer and use either zerex g-05 or peak (blue jug). ive spoken to mechanics and the guy who did my radiator last month. aluminum is aluminum is aluminum.

but use what YOU feel comfortable with, and never use dexcool!

Bill R.
12-03-2004, 12:42 PM
mechanic right now and i do lotsa radiators on cars that don't have the cooling systems maintained.... And aluminum is not all the same regardless of whatever your mechanic tells you. Each manufacturer has their own alloys ( Alloy: a homogenous blend of 2 or more metals) that they use for various reasons, some alloy magnesium with aluminum for more rigidity of the engine block, needless to say your engine block is not the exact same aluminum alloy as the chrysler minivan running down the street and the manufacturers spend a lot of time and trouble determing which coolant will have the least amount of reactions electrolyticallly and chemically to the engine components. Thats the main reason i would stick to the original manufacturers coolant unless there is evidence to indicate not to use it such as dexcool...

save your trip to the dealer and use either zerex g-05 or peak (blue jug). ive spoken to mechanics and the guy who did my radiator last month. aluminum is aluminum is aluminum.

but use what YOU feel comfortable with, and never use dexcool!

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 02:08 PM
so the consus is bmw "blue" colored colant and distiled water. mixed 50/50.

would adding some water wetter be bad?

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 02:14 PM
everything you need is in the antifreeze.

water wetter is generally used when people are running straight tap water. kinda like where little bubbles appear when you fill a glass bottle and let it sit, in an engine the water doesnt really want to hug the metal and water wetter allows it to.

so the consus is bmw "blue" colored colant and distiled water. mixed 50/50.

would adding some water wetter be bad?

shragon
12-03-2004, 02:25 PM
I use a 50/50 mixture of BMW coolant and distill water.

glen-sj
same here.

go to the dealer and get the bmw stuff.

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 02:46 PM
how many gallons do i need of coolant?

wengenstein
12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Last time I bought some it was from bavauto... its was about $18/gal. Don't know what a dealer sells it for though.. maybe I should have checked :)

go to the dealer and get the bmw stuff.

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
and then pour in that amount of antifreeze straight and the balance in distilled water. dealer price was under 20 bux a gal, i think it was like 13 a gal...not sure, cant find my receipt.

Last time I bought some it was from bavauto... its was about $18/gal. Don't know what a dealer sells it for though.. maybe I should have checked :)

lesage
12-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Re distilled water. Here in UK, when you ask for 'distilled' water at an auto parts type supplier, they actually give you de-ionised water.

It was this that prompted me to pose the question on the boards a while back, to check whether de ionnised was OK. Which is where the leeching point came up in one of the replies. This was in the context of the alloy used in the rad. That it happenned to tie in with stuff on osteoporosis thata I lookedd t separaately is, as they say, 'purely accidental' :-)

I must also stress that no one said at that time that distilled water was 'bad'; but rather that de ionised may have certain avantages.

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 04:27 PM
we have bottled water at food stores and convenience stores & stuff and they have filtered water, purified and distilled. Do they have bottled water like that over there?

doogie
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
We have had filtered water with added minerals briefly in the past (Coca-Cola's failed Dasani product!) but generally you get bottled drinking water as either spring water or mineral water, and I've seen de-ionised water in auto parts stores, but I haven't seen distilled.... maybe I haven't looked hard enough or maybe we just don't have distilled.

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Lesage, here n the USA we have bottled water at food stores and convenience stores & stuff and they have filtered water, purified and distilled. Do they have bottled water like that over there?

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 05:30 PM
hmm where do i find some distilled water? hehe.

i bought 2 gallons of bmw crap just in case. i paid 35 total after taxes at the stealership =). the guy next to me was like, why dont you just go to autozone. lol.

lesage
12-03-2004, 06:00 PM
yes certainly. You can get 1001 different types , bottled. Generally, for human consumption you'll find mineral (i e spring) water; tap water is purified, filtered, (and has zero health problems here) nd being on tap, its not bottled commercially. And certainly you can also get distilled, but this is supplied generally from pharmacists, the aim I think is that its for medical use. And if you go to an auto parts place and ask for 'distiilled' water as like as not you'll be pointed to De- Ionised water--which is frequently referred to casually as 'distilled ' water, just to confuse matters.

Its not that its not available, therefore. Its horses for courses...

chamilun
12-03-2004, 06:04 PM
when you were getting robbed for $36, you should have asked the guy at the counter who sold it to you his opinion concerning the antifreeze. or ask the mechanics in the back. ask them why the water pumps continuously fail, even though the owner had used the blue gold. ask them why these forums are loaded with owners who had head gaskets blow, even though they were using the blue gold.

Tiger
12-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Hehehe... told you... Hot topic.

Tiger
12-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Hehehe... I think the most important thing is WHEN it failed... not WHY it fails. Let's say, it failed at 105,000 miles... wouldn't you say, that's fine? If it fails at 10,000 miles, then it would be up to debate... brand, quality, etc.

wengenstein
12-03-2004, 06:57 PM
You should be able to find it at any grocery store. Maybe even conveinence store if your lucky. And $35 for 2 gallons is as good a price as I've seen...just don't let any of these autozone people get to you :)

hmm where do i find some distilled water? hehe.

i bought 2 gallons of bmw crap just in case. i paid 35 total after taxes at the stealership =). the guy next to me was like, why dont you just go to autozone. lol.

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 07:03 PM
it seems to me that you are against the recommended products, maintenance and parts that make the bmw a bmw. Perhaps you would be better suited to another car, another place maybe another world, perhaps a used K car with as many miles as we have on our BMW's.

We (well me at least) are here to try to help people and also to help THEM (not you) make intelligent decisions regarding their cars. If they were all like you they would be pissing in their radiators, transmissions and engines. That in it self is great if they were all you however they aren't and at times your comments arent amusing or helpful let alone useful.

Asking a parts counter guy what he thinks about the products he is selling is soo far off topic its plain stupid and reflects your intelligence. Is he the one that did the research to find out what works best with the componants in these cars? How about the wrench in the back that just got hired in from a Lexas service department...sure they will know exactly why you use what is recommended...NOT, they do work, dont give a **** just like you and do it to get a paycheck. The rare individuals that are seriously interested in making these cars last as long as possible come to boards like these to help others not to pour sand down others intake manifolds.

Before YOU came to this board where were you? Just curious because you remind me soo much of Butters on South Park.

chamilun
12-03-2004, 07:03 PM
I am with BMW North America LLC and your correspondence has been
forwarded to me for response. Regrettably, I cannot provide you with
the information you are requesting from this location. However the
following information may be useful:

The cooling system of BMW cars must only be filled with reputable
brand name ethylene glycol long-term antifreeze having corrosion
inhibitors that are compatible with aluminum radiators.
Coolants must fulfill four basic requirements.
? Guarantee sufficient cooling.
? Protect various metals (gray cast iron, steel, aluminum alloys,
brass, copper and solder) against corrosion.
? Prevent excessive silicate gel precipitation, which may cause
clogging of the cooling system.
? Guarantee operation of cooling system in winter (prevent freezing
of coolant) and in summer by boosting the boiling point.
The quality or grade of a long-term antifreeze and corrosion
inhibitor is very important to be able to protect metal (gray cast
iron, steel, aluminum alloys, brass, copper and solder) in the cooling
system against corrosion. It guarantees full operation of the cooling
system in winter and also increases the boiling point at high outside
temperatures and under heavy loads.

Initial Filling in Factory
The factory fills the cooling system for protection against freezing,
for the U.S. and Canada, down to -34°F (-37°C).
This means an antifreeze ratio of 50% antifreeze and 50% water. In
severely cold areas, the antifreeze can be increased to 60% which
provides freezing protection down to -62°F (-52°C). Do not exceed a
60% ratio of antifreeze.
The specified antifreeze ratio is important, since an insufficient
amount would impair antifreezing and corrosion inhibiting protection.
An excessive amount would not improve freezing protection, but instead
reduce freezing protection.

BMW Anti-Freeze/Coolant contains no nitrites or phosphates and has
been formulated to prevent excessive silicate drop-out. Order the
1gallon container under BMW Part No. 82 14 1 467 704.

Because BMW cannot test every product on the market, BMW recommends
using the approved BMW coolant.

Please contact the Service Manager at your authorized BMW center who
is best equipped to address this matter.

Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized
centers, categorized by name, state or zip code, on our website at
www.bmwusa.com. You are also always welcome to call us at
1-800-831-1117.

Thank you for taking the time to contact BMW.

Sincerely,
Karen Labatzky
BMW Customer Relations Representative
800-831-1117

chamilun
12-03-2004, 07:13 PM
um, kid who seems to have excessive time to post a 1000 times a day,

i follow service intervals to a T, use synthetics as needed, etc etc. and have spoken to 2 owners of radiator 'shops' concerning the blue fluid, and also did my own research a few months ago when i needed coolant. dont be a smart ****, realize who has a chemistry degree and who doesnt (not that ive ever used it), and realize the richest people youll never know are also the cheapest bastards on the planet. be an intelligent kid and realize theres no research that shows why bmw coolant (or VW, MB, etc) is better. (come on now, admit youve spent time looking and came up empty). it just happens to be nitrite and phosphate free.

to those of you who dont enjoy wasting money, and have probably heard of dave ramsey, buy the zerex g-05 and sleep well. itll cost you half the dough.

again, as i posted above, use what YOU feel comfortable with. im not trying to step on anyones toes (well, maybe the regal guy, because 99% of his posts have no SOLUTIONS)

also realize that one of the better bmw shops in st louis uses PEAK in all of the vehicles they work on. ALL OF THEM

infinity5
12-03-2004, 07:33 PM
actaully 9.13, i believe, accoring to his user profile.. but then again thats an average, so he COULD ahve posted 1000times one day, and spread the otehr 2000 over several months... *shrug* :)

If you have scientific evidence that the chemical compounds present in BMW coolant are identical, and in the same percentages, as the coolant you're advocating, please post them. you'd save us all money, and you'd win your argument.

I'd be curious as to the material the head gasket in BMWs are made of, compared to other cars..... seems to me that'd be a big reason to use one coolant over another.

um, kid who seems to have excessive time to post a 1000 times a day,

i follow service intervals to a T, use synthetics as needed, etc etc. and have spoken to 2 owners of radiator 'shops' concerning the blue fluid, and also did my own research a few months ago when i needed coolant. dont be a smart ****, realize who has a chemistry degree and who doesnt (not that ive ever used it), and realize the richest people youll never know are also the cheapest bastards on the planet. be an intelligent kid and realize theres no research that shows why bmw coolant (or VW, MB, etc) is better. (come on now, admit youve spent time looking and came up empty). it just happens to be nitrite and phosphate free.

to those of you who dont enjoy wasting money, and have probably heard of dave ramsey, buy the zerex g-05 and sleep well. itll cost you half the dough.

again, as i posted above, use what YOU feel comfortable with. im not trying to step on anyones toes (well, maybe the regal guy, because 99% of his posts have no SOLUTIONS)

also realize that one of the better bmw shops in st louis uses PEAK in all of the vehicles they work on. ALL OF THEM

wengenstein
12-03-2004, 07:37 PM
it just happens to be nitrite and phosphate free

As one who holds a chemistry degree, do you not understand that this is important? Phosphate is present in most US green coolants. Phosphate is what would be considered a "dangerous" inhibitor.

In a well formulated US green coolant, phosphate does provide some benefits. However, if the silicate is not well stabilized and the silicate protection is lost for an aluminum head, a phenomenon know as either "hot surface corrosion" or "aluminum transport deposition", depending on what car company you are talking to, can occur.

In this form of corrosion, the aluminum is corroded from the hot spots in the head, usually near the exhaust ports, and then reacts with the phosphate in solution to form aluminum phosphate. The aluminum phosphate is then deposited on a cool surface in a heat exchanger leading to over heat problems.

It has been reported as either a gelatinous precipitate that blocks the tubes or as a thin ceramic deposit on the radiator in the shape of the fan. If you write the chemical reactions that occur when the aluminum phosphate is precipitated, you will find that caustic is generated. The corrosion process then increases exponentially.

On the other hand, in the absence of phosphate, dissolved aluminum will precipitate as aluminum hydroxide. This reaction is pH neutral and the corrosion rate therefore does not increase rapidly.

This can be demonstrated in the lab very simply by electrochemically forcing corrosion of an aluminum specimen in plain 50% glycol solution with and with out phosphate present. In the system with only glycol, the pH will not increase. In the system containing the phosphate, the pH will rise.

This according to John Conville, manager of Antifreeze R&D for BASF (The chemical company)

Thats unfortunate...I hope they at least tell you before they dump it in your car.

My .02,
Dennis

632 Regal
12-03-2004, 07:46 PM
It's also the fact that an aluminum head on an iron block expands more which means it will actually "slide" on the gasket as it heats and cools which adds mayhem to the sealing properties.

In an M60 which is aluminum on aluminum the expansion rates are closer so the sliding effect is minimal and you rarely see one going out vs the straight 6 engines.

I would guess as the heads expand and contract they would probably in some sence introduce the antifreeze onto the gasket surface eventually and this is why the special (ripoff) antifreeze is used to help them last to 100k or so.

Who knows, im not the chemical engineer that the chameleon claims to be and couldnt even try to debate him on those kinds of subjects. But in an everyday kind of debate a chameleon takes many different aspects of its environment and evasivly "hides" from the real world so a debate wouldnt even be possible.

infinity5
12-03-2004, 07:47 PM
excellent information! i was waiting for someone to chime in with something like this. thank you

wengenstein
12-03-2004, 08:49 PM
You should have seen the load of gelatinous precipitate (read snot :) ) I had to snake out of my radiator the first time I replaced my coolant.. :) The previous owner used some brand of green stuff.

Dennis

excellent information! i was waiting for someone to chime in with something like this. thank you

winfred
12-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Before YOU came to this board where were you? Just curious because you remind me soo much of Butters on South Park.

Brian C.
12-03-2004, 09:52 PM
:d

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 10:06 PM
if i had to replace the water pump in the near future. would i have to reflush the coolant again? or could i just top it off and bleed it?

yea, im quite off topic here =)

....on a side note. the extra 10 or 15 bucks to get the oem stuff isnt bad. considering coolant changes only happen every 2 years. you chemistry people can go back at it!

winfred
12-03-2004, 10:11 PM
pulling the water pump dumps most of the coolent so unless you catch it and save it to reinstall you are just about at square one, i like every 2 years to change

if i had to replace the water pump in the near future. would i have to reflush the coolant again? or could i just top it off and bleed it?

yea, im quite off topic here =)

....on a side note. the extra 10 or 15 bucks to get the oem stuff isnt bad. considering coolant changes only happen every 2 years. you chemistry people can go back at it!

liquidtiger720
12-03-2004, 10:44 PM
we'll, ill just hope the thing lasts me a good year - 2 more. im not sure if its original or not. I do know the rad. is only 2 years old =p.

shragon
12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
my water pump failed due to bmw's old poor plastic impeller (m50/s50). the new bmw water pumps use a composite material for the impeller, so you will not have problems. if you are not sure if your water pump has ever been replaced, do it. if it's the old plastic impeller, your car is a ticking time bomb. mine blew up when i was on i-280.

anyway, for distilled water, just go to safeway or albersons and look in the water section. i think the store brand stuff is under a dollar for a gallon.

btw... when i bought the bmw coolant, i poured half of it into another gallon container. i then took the distilled water and filled up both the coolant containers. now you have two premixed gallons of 50/50 coolant and distilled water.

Reuben Lim
12-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Gosh, I drink distilled every chance I get as I thought it was the purest form of water, ergo, good for you. Thanks for the tip. Use 50 BMW coolant, 50 distilled btw.

lesage
12-04-2004, 06:36 AM
unlesss your body is leakinng, I wouldnt be too worried. mind you I have a finance, not a medical background and study French so Im no expert. Google over to something like 'distilled water osteoporosis' and see what comes up. I havent looked for a while. Or 'distilled de-ionised water'.

What does get me confused, however, is the mix of 50 50 for the coolant. On the BMW bottle, such a mix is good for temperatures down to -40 C. This is colder than most days in winter on the top of the alps. Do you lot suffer from these temperatures? If not, whats wrong with following BMW directions for gentler climes?

chamilun
12-04-2004, 12:09 PM
infinity5,
see, there you have it, the first REAL discussion about the topic.

wengentstien,
youre making my point for me. the fact that makes the bmw coolant different is that it is nitrite and phosphate free. and, according to bmw themselves, there are MANY coolants that are compatible, they just cant check them all to see.

to continue the scientific discussion:

point 1: aluminum expands at 3 times the rate of cast iron (more pressure on head)

Electrolysis. What is this? Well, coolant will actually accumulate an electrical charge over time. The engine block is used as a ground for the electrical system, so there is a small current flowing through the metal. When antifreeze is electrically charged, it is corrosive to some engine components. Mostly, it will start eating away at aluminum parts (ever wonder why timing covers and old style thermostat housing were pitted?) but it will eat away at the head gaskets too. I’ll bet you always wondered why your owners manual said to change antifreeze every two years. Bingo, there it is. This electrically charged antifreeze will eat at the gasket until it fails. Sections of the fire ring that are very close to coolant passages are very susceptible to this. Electrolysis affects plain water too, so don’t think that running 100% water will eliminate this. Water does behave differently though since it has a different chemical composition than Ethylene Glycol antifreeze. Plus, 100% water will boil at about 227 degrees in your cooling system. Right about where the fan kicks on. Not a very good idea.

Deionization
Deionization is often referred to as a demineralization or ion exchange. Ions are removed from the water through a series of chemical reactions that take place as the water passes through an ion exchange resin bed.
Deionization systems typically provide water free of dissolved inorganics.

Distillation
Distillation is the most common water purification technique. Water undergoes phase changes during the process, changing from liquid to vapor and back to liquid. The change from liquid to vapor prompts a separation of water from its impurities. It effectively removes most inorganic solids, all organics with a boiling point greater than water and virtually all bacteria.

wengenstein
12-04-2004, 02:54 PM
wengentstien,
youre making my point for me. the fact that makes the bmw coolant different is that it is nitrite and phosphate free. and, according to bmw themselves, there are MANY coolants that are compatible, they just cant check them all to see.

First, it was never my contention that if you stray from the BMW blue, your doomed. However, I also don't think you can go into walmart or autozone, grab some green stuff, and be on your way. I have'nt been to walmart in a while but I'd be surprised if the average jug of green stuff is actually nitrite and phosphate free. Even ignoring nitrite and phosphate, I'd be surprised if there were'nt some other benefit(s) to the BMW brand...

It's my opinion that the average person (meaning anyone looking for advice on this board) is much better off taking the manufacturer's advice rather than wasting their time researching coolants just to save ~15 bucks every 2-3 years. It just doesn't make sense.

That said, this stuff is pretty facinating to me..until a few days ago I never would have thought coolant additives could be so interesting. My degree is in CS :)

chamilun
12-04-2004, 05:52 PM
there are lots of people (such as me) who dont live near a bmw dealership, so it helps to know what ruins these cars and what is just as good as using OE parts. many have used aftermarket rotors, pads, radiators, etc etc. this is totally against the manufacturers advice (look at the little sticker on the upper left part of the windshield). oh wait, your windshield was replaced by your insurance company, and the windshield is aftermarket! better go to dealer and have replaced... of course bmw uses special glass, that reduces the wind coefficient by 0.003, so...

the new prestone af i saw today at autozone claims compatibility with any coolant, any color

wengenstein
12-05-2004, 03:50 AM
Who's talking about anything but coolant in this thread? Did I say you can't get the blue stuff if you don't live near a dealer, or even that you have to get it from a dealer at all?? And I don't know about you but my auto insurance will pay for factory glass if that's what I want...but I spose I must be getting ripped off there too. This is insanity. If someone wants to go with OE ANYTHING why do you assume they mus'nt be informed, or that they're just making a bad decision?

Do you regret your purchase that much? I'm beginning to agree with Jeff's previous assesment, you do seem to be an angry and somewhat bitter BMW owner.

there are lots of people (such as me) who dont live near a bmw dealership, so it helps to know what ruins these cars and what is just as good as using OE parts. many have used aftermarket rotors, pads, radiators, etc etc. this is totally against the manufacturers advice (look at the little sticker on the upper left part of the windshield). oh wait, your windshield was replaced by your insurance company, and the windshield is aftermarket! better go to dealer and have replaced... of course bmw uses special glass, that reduces the wind coefficient by 0.003, so...

the new prestone af i saw today at autozone claims compatibility with any coolant, any color

chamilun
12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
man, you all really read too much in to these things. im not agreeing or disagreeing with you personally, just posting an opinion. isnt that what is this place is for???

my real opinion about a BMW? excellent ride, sophisticated electronics, good oil design. however, my buick regal has a stronger motor, better cooling design, and better tranny. im not "BITTER" about anything, but do want to represent maybe a different opinion than some of the frequent posters here (roadfly seems to have more dissenting opinions which is BETTER!)

Who's talking about anything but coolant in this thread? Did I say you can't get the blue stuff if you don't live near a dealer, or even that you have to get it from a dealer at all?? And I don't know about you but my auto insurance will pay for factory glass if that's what I want...but I spose I must be getting ripped off there too. This is insanity. If someone wants to go with OE ANYTHING why do you assume they mus'nt be informed, or that they're just making a bad decision?

Do you regret your purchase that much? I'm beginning to agree with Jeff's previous assesment, you do seem to be an angry and somewhat bitter BMW owner.

632 Regal
12-05-2004, 11:42 AM
(roadfly seems to have more dissenting opinions which is BETTER!)