PDA

View Full Version : This just ain't my year...code 1222 on the 318iS tonight...

billb
12-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I went up to a local indy's shop after work, to try to get my SRS light reset (long story). His tool didn't connect with my system, so we tried plan B. I disconnected both battery cables, touched them together for 10 seconds, then reconnected everything. Got it all back together, drove 10 minutes from there to the in-laws' house, then went out to dinner with them, wifey, and young son, taking wifey's 525i. Returned to their house, watched Rudolph, then hopped in the 318iS and headed home. About 30 minute drive, mostly above 65. Pulled in the driveway, sat at idle for about 30 seconds while getting the garage door opener out of the other car, came back and CEL lit on the dash of the 318iS. Revved slightly, and it went away. Pulled in the garage, stomp test, 1222. Ugh. Cursory glance shows nothing.

1222 was the MAF on the 525. Dunno what it could be on this. It does have an aftermarket chip (bought for $20, so you get what you pay for.)

Curious...

Jr ///M5
12-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Aw hell, now I got to drive to the Carolina's in the 318iS so we can swap parts around....=)

But before I do, disconnect the battery, short the two leads together for at least a minute. Pull the "new" chip out of the DME and install the old one. Re-connect the battery, drive around for 10 minutes to let the computer re-learn the stock chip. Once she seems to run right again, take her out for an old fashioned Italian tune up. Then, pull up to your driveway again and leave it idle for a couple of minutes. Chances are the performance chip was screwing up the mix enough for the O2 sensor to throw a code. It being one that doesn't make the light stay on indefinately, makes me think oxygenated fuel plus a questionable performance chip.

Anyway, Italian tune ups are fun!

Jr
(I can still come if you need me to! =)

billb
12-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Aw hell, now I got to drive to the Carolina's in the 318iS so we can swap parts around....=)

Jr

You think Jr would notice if we swapped 318iS's? Heh heh...

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/fgump/yakimaleft.jpg
mine

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/fgump/jre30.jpg
his

It did fine this morning. I still think I'll follow your advice and take out that suspect chip. Never have been real comfortable with it. It's just interesting that this happened after a battery disconnect earlier in the evening.