PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install an aftermarket alarm?

Hallmark
12-01-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking of updating the alarm/keyless entry for my bimmer. What brand is good and what features? Can you add remote start or window/top close if they aren't on the original car? How hard was it to wire into the BMW wiring?

Thanks,

callen
12-01-2004, 02:06 PM
unless you have a killer stereo, big dollar rims or live in a really bad place I wouldn't add one......just double lock it and you'll be fine.....ripped the aftermarket alarm out of both my 535 and 735 as soon as I got them....hate having wires spliced into factory electrical system.

DallasBill
12-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I had a Clifford IntelliGuard 700IQ installed back in '98 and I love it. Clifford dealers are extremely well trained and it integrated nicely -- no stray wires anywhere.

Although I did not get those options, there were auto-close add-ons for the sunroof and windows available. I do not know about remote start.

See http://www.clifford.com/main.asp
I got mine done at Earmark here in Dallas -- see ads in Observer every week. Car Toys is also a dealer and they have a location in Duncanville on W. Wheatland, which is a lot closer to you.

Hallmark
12-01-2004, 05:35 PM
I had a Clifford IntelliGuard 700IQ installed back in '98 and I love it. Clifford dealers are extremely well trained and it integrated nicely -- no stray wires anywhere.

Although I did not get those options, there were auto-close add-ons for the sunroof and windows available. I do not know about remote start.

See http://www.clifford.com/main.asp
I got mine done at Earmark here in Dallas -- see ads in Observer every week. Car Toys is also a dealer and they have a location in Duncanville on W. Wheatland, which is a lot closer to you.

Nick.Hay
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
I just bought this:

http://www.rhinosecurity.com/content/product-info/rsa/rsa-brochure.pdf

I really wanted it for the remote-start option (purely for gimmick-factor), but keyless entry will be handy too.

I am also going wire-in a system that runs the headlights (yet-to-arrive DEPO angeleyes), or atleast the park-lights whenever the engine is running/when the car is dis-armed. So the light switch will stay on "park-lights" (ie position 1) on the dash, but the parks will go off once the car is armed.

Has anyone had issues with aftermarket alarm systems, and integration with the E34s own anti-theft systems (ie CODE immobilisation, central/double locking, etc)??

I alway use the CODE button on the OBC, but I doubt I'll use it anymore once the new system is in (although if I still can, I'd like to... Last thing I want is my baby going missing!!), but I'm wondering if I'll still be able to 'double-lock' the thing once the aftermarket alarm is installed??

Thoughts, experience, advice??

gmannino
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I installed a remote start pager alarm on my e34. Its got a shock sensor mounted in the center console so my sensitivity is nearly equal all the way around the car.

I've also got my windows to roll up whenever I arm the car, the sunroof too.

This is an easy and cheap mod to do to your alarm.

I connected my aux output on my alarm to have a timed output of 30 seconds to cover the amount of time required for all 4 windows to roll up and the sunroof to close.

When you connect your lock wire up, connect either the timed aux output or just install a timer relay on your lock output on your alarm. This will provide a 30 second latched output on the lock circuit.

I would suggest using a relay if you plan on using the aux output.

Ive also got pin switches on the hood and trunk.

Nick.Hay
12-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Nice one Greg...

Thanks for the advice.

I'd love to add the auto-window-up feature to mine too (I don't have a sunroof).

doogie
12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi there,

I had an aftermarket system in my E34 and now my E32, although I didn't fit either, they were there when I got the cars. At some point I will take the system out and replace it with one with remote start, paging etc, but I think I can answer your questions :)

Will the OBC code immobilizer still work - yes, it should - the aftermarket alarm will probably just involve putting a relay onto the ignition switch and therefore will be in addition to the OBC stuff.

Central locking - yes, will still work and will be keyless - just one wire to connect from your alarm box to unlock wire and one wire from there to lock wire.

Double locking - yes, if you just install standard keyless you will find that you can blip to lock the car (single only) and then put the key in and turn it to double lock, then blip again to unlock........ the best thing to do though if you're going to the trouble, is to put in remote double - you need to do a mod to your alarm box to lock/unlock connections with a couple of diodes - full details at Johan's site (http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/remote_locking/remote_locking.html) - you can also do a mod to activate courtesy lights when you blip it unlocked, which I did too from those instructions :)

Tiger
12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Double locking is easily defeated by a pro... it happened to me already.

doogie
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Double locking is easily defeated by a pro... it happened to me already.

Do you have any details of this or just experience from the sharp end? I've ended up double locked out with my keys inside while messing with keyless stuff and ended up having to smash a quarter pane :(

what is double locking? When you lock and then turn the key further to get a second clunk - it means the door pins are disabled - if you lock someone in the car, pulling on the pins doesn't unlock the doors at all

Nick.Hay
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the link Doogie. :D

I feel this site will be very hand on the install!!

atlfokus
12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
unless you have a killer stereo, big dollar rims or live in a really bad place I wouldn't add one......just double lock it and you'll be fine.....ripped the aftermarket alarm out of both my 535 and 735 as soon as I got them....hate having wires spliced into factory electrical system.

what is double locking?

gmannino
12-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Double locking is a feature, which I believe is on all e34's, which enable a electronic pin to fire inside each door and trunk to prevent break in's. Once a car is double locked, by twisting your key in the door cylinder 2 notches or 90 degrees, all 4 doors and trunk will have a deadbolt initiated.

I also connect my alarm so that my lock feature uses double lock.

Double locking is automatically disabled when the ignition is on, so you can still safely have ignition controlled door locks without having to worry about locking people in the car.

But if people are in the car while the alarm is armed, they cannot get out, pulling the door unlock pins will have no effect.