PDA

View Full Version : SOT: opinions on a '94 Grand Cherokee V8

Kamil
12-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Hey,
someone I know is selling a mint '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited - Orvis edition w/ 128k miles.
The truck needs an exhoust, otherwise seems really great, I looked it up and down. Torquey as $hit.

Anyone know what kind of problems these things might have, how long they last, etc? general opinions are welcome too. :)

Craig
12-01-2004, 12:00 PM
The wife owned a '96 (same body, updated dash and interior). Great for what they are, but there are probaby going to be reliability issues so plan accordingly. Most of the problems on hers were minor though. The engine is pretty tough, the most expensive thing to look for is probably the transfer case slipping/not functioning. Second to that is the transmission, ours shifted a little funky at times when it was cold but never really got any worse so we ignored it. :)

How much?

Kamil
12-01-2004, 12:07 PM
$3700 or a trade for the 535i + $1000; opinions on the price/deal?

Craig
12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
That's not a bad deal for cash, considering you know the guy selling it (and presumably trust him).

I would definitely not trade the 535i, you should be able to get ~$6000 for that easy. Weren't you going to put a turbo on it?

charlie
12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Not bad cars, good engine. transmission and tranfer case are complete $hit on the V8. many leak problems with the tranny and the transfer case is a NP 249. they are $hit- don't last. You can get a good rebuilt one for $800 or so. But as is with any vehicle (ie. nikasil) there are some known pieces of $hit that don't break...

That's not a bad deal for cash, considering you know the guy selling it (and presumably trust him).

I would definitely not trade the 535i, you should be able to get ~$6000 for that easy. Weren't you going to put a turbo on it?

Kamil
12-01-2004, 08:21 PM

I did more research, I've passed on the Jeep. They all seem to be POSes.

My 535i for $6000? Heh, no way, 240k miles and a not such great paint job. There are a few local people trying to sell their 535's w/o too much luck.

Turbo it, heh... One day maybe. :)