PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i high mileage Q's

motuman
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
I am considering the purchase of a '95 540i with approx. 250,000 miles. I would not normally consider a vehicle with this many miles, but it is a rare factory M-sport with 6-sp (only 135 built) and the can be sooo hard to find.

The engine was completely new approx. 75,000 miles ago, so that should not be a problem, but the transmision is original as far as I know.

Anyone have experience with high mileage 6-sp maunual transmissions? How long can they go?

Asise from replaceable suspension components (ball joints, thrust arm bushings, etc.) and other moving parts, are there any non-easily-replaceable components will start to wear out at this point?

I am comfortable buying an e28/e34 with 150,000 mile or less, and generally know what to look for, but I really don't know what to expect on the higher mileage vehicles. How long can they go? I would greatly appreciate hearing your feedback & experiences.

Thanks to all.

632 Regal
11-30-2004, 08:25 PM
As you know an inspection is mandatory along with good maintenance history.

If there is no rust hiding on the chassis and a good body with no "major" collision damage you have a good start. Do a car fax, mine was in a reported 2 collisions which said "front" damage which I specificly did extra inspection into (frame, bracketry etc).

As for mileage the engines well maintained will go for 300k+...your safe there. The trans, who knows, if its good now its a luck of the draw. Could last 1 week or could outlast the car, in either case you have to plan and prepare for it.

The car, everything that wears is a replaceable item as you probably know including engine, trans, bushings, brackets, rear end, suspension, steering, etc etc which means the actual car can go forever.

The only thing that I personally worry about is electrical issues which I dont want to understand much. As long as everything works or you get a good enough deal to not worry about it go for it.

Just my 2¢

I am considering the purchase of a '95 540i with approx. 250,000 miles. I would not normally consider a vehicle with this many miles, but it is a rare factory M-sport with 6-sp (only 135 built) and the can be sooo hard to find.

The engine was completely new approx. 75,000 miles ago, so that should not be a problem, but the transmision is original as far as I know.

Anyone have experience with high mileage 6-sp maunual transmissions? How long can they go?

Asise from replaceable suspension components (ball joints, thrust arm bushings, etc.) and other moving parts, are there any non-easily-replaceable components will start to wear out at this point?

I am comfortable buying an e28/e34 with 150,000 mile or less, and generally know what to look for, but I really don't know what to expect on the higher mileage vehicles. How long can they go? I would greatly appreciate hearing your feedback & experiences.

Thanks to all.

chamilun
11-30-2004, 10:03 PM
theres a really big number of posts that are both here and at roadfly.

DueyT
11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Sorry, Motuman, I just broke 100,000mi. You said M-sport...is it a real M-sport WBS car (i.e. VIN starts with WBS... vice WBA...) I haven't seen him post here in a while but David Chen is one of the more knowledgable guys about 540i M-sport (or the Canadian M540i variant).

Cheers,
Duey

MBXB
11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Here's a site that covers the 1995 540i Sport:

http://www.kindel.com/bmw/

632 Regal
11-30-2004, 11:34 PM
a crack of your ass dont help anyone but greenpiece, more specifics please.

theres a really big number of posts that are both here and at roadfly.

motuman
12-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Duey,

Yep, it's a real m-sport. Hence my interest. Normally something with 250,000 would be a little outside of my comfort zone, but it does have a new long block 75,000 ago.

Normally, I would think these M-sports are a reasonable long term investment (if you don't drive it too much, or have to dump too much money into it) but I wonder if most enthusiasts/collectors would be interestedin something with 250,000+ miles?

632 Regal
12-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Here's a site that covers the 1995 540i Sport:

http://www.kindel.com/bmw/

DueyT
12-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Duey,

Yep, it's a real m-sport. Hence my interest. Normally something with 250,000 would be a little outside of my comfort zone, but it does have a new long block 75,000 ago.

Normally, I would think these M-sports are a reasonable long term investment (if you don't drive it too much, or have to dump too much money into it) but I wonder if most enthusiasts/collectors would be interestedin something with 250,000+ miles?
Motuman, M-sport 540's are nice. It sounds like you can think if the car as a 75k car with suspension parts that may need replacing...(and clutch perhaps...)

Cheers,
Duey