PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in instrument cluster... what gives?

Dave M
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Hello all,
I've been quiet for quite a while, busy with a move across the country, new job etc. I put the 525im to sleep for the winter @ 1 month ago and visited her to add fuel stabilizer, upper cylinder head lube and perform general rodent control. While sitting inside, enjoying the warmth emanating from a purring six, I noticed some condensation forming inside the plastic on the instrument panel. I’ve never seen this before and can only assume its from a lack of use. The car is inside a large building (unfinished agri-plex, probably parked in a future horse stall) on a recently poured concrete floor. The car is now parked on a plastic tarp with a window open an inch. Has anyone had this problem and what might I expect to go through to remedy?

Thanks all, I hope to become much more active with the car once I find my own garage again.

Dave M

632 Regal
11-29-2004, 07:03 PM
warm moist air touching cold dry surface = condensation

I'd guess all the water emmiting from the concrete made everything moist and as your car warmed up the cluster warmed quicker than the surface of the plastic. Sounds to be a really moist place to store a car, not a really good thing. I would leave the windows shut to help stop the quick temperature changes and hopefully leave the inside of the car more stable.

There are (dont remember what their called) bags that you can put in all 4 floorboards in a small bucket that attract and hold moisture from the inside of the car. No clue where to find something like this, maybe a boat facility?

Good Luck!

netmgr
11-29-2004, 07:08 PM
silica gel isnt it?

George Davis
11-29-2004, 07:43 PM
I think it is silica gel, one brand name is Dry-Z-Air or something like that (I think).

Dave M
11-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I may have left the impression that its a wet environment. The concrete has been down for many months, huge expanse of space and plenty of ventilation. We are also in sub-zero temps almost 24h a day, so I can't think of a better spot (except maybe new mexico).
Anyhow, I shall research the silica gel etc. Gives me something vehicle related to do.

Thanks again,

dave