PDA

View Full Version : OT - oil smoke from my 'winter wheels'

MicahO
11-27-2004, 06:50 AM
So I've got two sets of winter wheels - the Dunlops on the 330, and the F250 4x4. This problem concerns the F250, a 1990 5.0 with a five speed.

Driving along yesterday, I felt a slight (I stress slight!) hitch in power, check the rearview, and I've got TONS, absolute billowing clouds, of white smoke POURING out the tailpipe. I immediately pull over and check things out.

It's nasty acrid stuff, not anti-freeze, which I'm only sort of happy about. I turn around and try to idle home without tripping any DHS Air Quality sensors. At home (about 2 miles of driving) I note a few things:

1) I've got oil dribbling out the TAILPIPE. That's how much oil is going into the compression chambers.
2) The truck really didn't experience much loss of power, and only pinged once on the drive home - not bad considering how much fouling must be going on?
3) Coolant looks okay, not low, not brackish
4) Didn't check the oil for water or level yet
5) Changed the oil and filter last weekend
6) When I shut the motor down, I listened to oil draining back down into the pan for a good 60 seconds or so - MUCH more than usual, and loud.

Restarting about 30 minutes later, the truck again started right up and seemed pretty normal, but for the James-Bondian smokescreen out the butt end. I let it run for about 25 seconds thinking it might subside before my ecologically minded better half made me shut it down.

My diagnosis is a blockage in the oil drainback from one head that caused oil to pool up top and finally went into the cylinders. It could be far worse? Maybe destroyed a bunch of valve guides on the way? I'm guessing this will be more expensive than the two 90-cent diodes I needed to fix the 22HP motor on my tractor..... :(

Email or PM's prolly best to avoid cluttering the board with FoundOnRoadDead traffic, but some of the most broadly experienced mechanics I know are usually around here.... Thanks all!

Robin-535im
11-29-2004, 12:12 PM
I admit I don't have an educated idea what it is... but I'll bet it's not cheap!

tim
11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I would say that it is valve related,
either one or more have carbon deposits that are relatively severe, not allowing them to close fully, or possibly even stuck due to a worn spring, or perhaps just jammed with something.

Quick and dirty possible solves (no wrenching required- but at your own risk)

If memory serves correctly- this is the ford 5.0 that has a hose that runs from the passenger side valve cover on the oil fill side to the throttle body hose? Disconnect it at the valve cover side. Use carb cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and spray alot in there. You think you got smoke now?, wait until you see what it does after you fire this up. After the smoke clears, if you freed up whatever is causing you stuck valve, it should stop smoking. That may work.

Another quick and dirty is to run ATF as motor oil for a few minutes. Its detergent properties can help with valves. Drain oil, but not filter. Fill with Dexron or the like, the cheaper the better cause its only going to be in there for a coupla minutes. Turn it over and run for a minute or two, then drain it (and let it sit so its really drained), then replace filter and refill with oil. Now go out an give it it an italian tune up.
(i'm sure some purists will scream when they read this, but I can assure you that it will not destroy anything too expensive- the only thing that might hate it would be your o2 sensor)

If these don't work, I think the valve covers are going to have to come off. With that much smoke it should be pretty easy to find the offender.

Good luck.