PDA

View Full Version : 92 525i - new suspension

Ahheck01
11-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the fiver scene. I just picked up a 1992 525i manual gold on tan.

The suspension is pretty well shot, and I'd like better handling. I don't want to sacrafice too much of the comfort, but for huge gains in handling I can give a little. Also, I'm not sure what effects tire-wear, but obviously the less there is, the better.

I've heard good thing about the Sachs kit, which is supposedly stock comfort with much improved handling. Should I go this route?

If you like to suggest a setup, make sure you include how much it'll set me back, preferrably with a link to the product page.

Thanks a million!

-Evan

talltorontoguy
11-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey there,

Different strokes for different folks... but I used the Sachs kit and I love it. It is a little stiffer than stock, but not bone jarring with stock tires. Its a little harder with my 17" rims, but I also get a lot better handling.

I used 3mm upper spring pads (instead of 10mm) from a 540 on the front to drop the front a little bit more.

The kit was roughly $650 (can't remember exactly) from BMA, www.bmaparts.com. It includes 4 springs and 4 shocks. The rears are adjustable (2 positions). I put mine to the higher position and is about stock height in the back.

There are some other things you should replace at the same time, like shock mounts on the rear in particular. You won't be able to find the kit on the BMA website, you have to call. Shop around to be sure you get the best price.

Best of luck!

Rod

bahnstormer
11-26-2004, 12:59 PM
i have a 91 535im with 17's and sachs
i have a 90 535ia with bilstiens, oem springs, and 16's

the 535im will outhandle and feels better than the 535ia
but the 535ia will still beat out A LOT of cars around the
on/off ramps =] and it feels much smoother...

but that's an effect of the 16's - super soft sidewall
my kmuho 712's have a stiff sidewall

Incantation
11-27-2004, 02:24 PM
I have SACHS on 18's.. and it rides great. you will feel stiffness on more pronounced bumps but the general ride quality is amazing. my shocks were shot.. springs too.. getting this kit was like breathing new life into the car. :)

there is a link to the sachs suspension at the bottom of bruno's http://www.bmwe34.net website.. 640 bucks SHIPPED to anywhere in the US. DEAL!

once you get the suspension buy an EAT chip :)

Ted K
11-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I have SACHS on 18's.. and it rides great. you will feel stiffness on more pronounced bumps but the general ride quality is amazing. my shocks were shot.. springs too.. getting this kit was like breathing new life into the car. :)

there is a link to the sachs suspension at the bottom of bruno's http://www.bmwe34.net website.. 640 bucks SHIPPED to anywhere in the US. DEAL!

once you get the suspension buy an EAT chip :)
The link to Bruno’s site and BMA says it lowers 1.8” in the front and 1” in the back. What did this do for the front-end alignment? Do you need camber plates now? Did it settle more then what is listed?

Ted K
11-28-2004, 03:35 PM
i have a 91 535im with 17's and sachs
i have a 90 535ia with bilstiens, oem springs, and 16's

the 535im will outhandle and feels better than the 535ia
but the 535ia will still beat out A LOT of cars around the
on/off ramps =] and it feels much smoother...

but that's an effect of the 16's - super soft sidewall
my kmuho 712's have a stiff sidewall

Would you use the sach's kit again on your 90 535 5 speed, or something different if you would do it again.

Ted K
11-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Any of you have before and after pictures. I am looking into this kit for my car.

Ahheck01
11-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Any of you have before and after pictures. I am looking into this kit for my car.

I second that!