PDA

View Full Version : Idle Question

Ted K
11-26-2004, 01:01 AM
I now have had my 90 535 5 speed for a couple of months. Today I noticed when I start it and its cold it idles at 750. When it warms up it idles at 1000. It is smooth at both settings.

Is this normal? If not what would be the first thing to check and how. Bentley talks a little about checking to see if the throttle position sensor and switch are working properly. So please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

bahnstormer
11-26-2004, 01:03 PM
idle according to haynes should be 850 +/- 50

winfred
11-26-2004, 01:23 PM
it kinda moves around a little 1000 is a bit much, id clean the throttle body and icv and see what that does

I now have had my 90 535 5 speed for a couple of months. Today I noticed when I start it and its cold it idles at 750. When it warms up it idles at 1000. It is smooth at both settings.

Is this normal? If not what would be the first thing to check and how. Bentley talks a little about checking to see if the throttle position sensor and switch are working properly. So please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Ted K
11-27-2004, 01:22 AM
I did check this, this morning. It seems to be adjusted right for the idle. Bentley (130-8) says to check for continuity for idle between pins 2 & 18. This checked out Ok When checked between pins 3 & 18 Full throttle I did not get anything. So this looks like a possible bad part.

I also checked the idle speed control valve Bentley 130-12. I did not notice it buzzing during idle. When checking the coil resistance I did not get the values listed in the table. I only have an old meter that I do not trust. Going to pickup a new one tomorrow. I hope I do not have two bad parts. Is it common for both these to go out at the same time?

My fuel mileage has been around 19 for all around driving by the computer. The car seems to be running good. No codes