PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

AREITO
11-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi all, in my 525i 1989 the light check engine pop up sometime . Can anyone help me and can tell me what sensor do i have to change or what do i have to do!~ HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL :)

DueyT
11-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Get the codes using the "stomp test" described here:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

...then decode the number here:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/motronic.html

Cheers,
Duey

shogun
11-26-2004, 12:48 AM
He comes from Portugal and a stomp test is only possible on U.S. specification cars.

Areito: if the warning comes on the CC control that lights are not working or brake lights, you have to resolder the LKM = light control module and the mustard relay.
It's also mentioned in the link before, but here is another one with an additional LKM fix. It's for an E32, but that does not matter, same applies for E34.

click here (http://www.e32fixes.com/results.asp?page=normal&startat=0)

DueyT
11-26-2004, 01:06 AM
Hmmmm...thought the stomp test was universal -- it also works on Canadian-spec vehicles (which are not US DOT-approved.)

Cheers,
Duey

shogun
11-26-2004, 02:43 AM
Duey,
that stomp test was a requirement based on -let me guess- the regulations in California first.
Maybe it's on Canadian cars too, at least on some. (I actually do not know)

There are a lot of discussions on the European boards how to get the stomp test done/installed, but so far I have not heard of any big success.
I have asked on roadfly mid of last year already, but did not get a definitive answer.

There are a lot of differences depending on the regulations in some countries.
For example some of the elder E32 and E34 in Great Britain even do not have a catalyzer installed.
Usually the European specs have more HP compared to US versions, the US spec's bigger bumpers, diff's have different ratios for various countries such as Australia/US/Japan compared to Europe, and so on.

My E32 in Japan spec. also does not have it. I would be happy to have such a system. That's why I bought a PEAKE from USA, also not available in Europe or Japan.
Works pretty good.
But there is one advantage for all of us: combine the best of the various country specs in your car such as different diff's etc.

netmgr
11-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I hate to babble on about this bad advice thing...but heres one

i quote 'if the warning comes on the CC control that lights are not working or brake lights, you have to resolder the LKM = light control module and the mustard relay.'

erm ok but is that only explanation...what about a bulb is blown...or not seated correctly...or the wires corroded...

and who said stomp test is only available on us spec...no its not where did u get that from?? sometimes with updated firmware done by the dealers it stops the stomp working...but on the whole if it has a working check engine light u can do the test...even the early cars worked if you put a bulb in the dash..all be it leaving the light on constantly

also what has the check engine light got to do with the lcd...if a brake light is out i wasnt aware it illuminated the check engine light...

shogun
11-26-2004, 10:36 AM
better, no problem for me.
But it is common knowledge that EU specification cars do not have a stomp test possibility.
If you do not believe it, ask for example the experts in the U.K. register.

I want to help as much as possible, not argue.

Thanks for your understanding.

netmgr
11-26-2004, 10:40 AM
erm i am in the UK...and i do know better as mines got it...and its UK spec

red-Star
11-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Complete twaddle. You may be able to do a stomp test on yours as it may well have US firmware, HOWEVER The Stomp test is not and never has been a feature of the UK spec firmware.

Regards
J

netmgr
11-26-2004, 12:49 PM
well what can you say...works on mine and my car is no different than any other car in the respect that it was built for the uk, shipped to the uk and has always been in the uk.

shogun
11-26-2004, 01:38 PM
also in other parts of the world and people would appreciate your help.

Here is a statement from Gale, a very respected person in the world of E34 and E32 fans.
click here (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/e34/messages/archive/msgsy2001w28/6890.html)

Do you know the details on your car how it is connected?
Is it just a wire from DME to dashboard?

If I'm correct PIN 15 of the motronic ECU gives out the "check engine" light.

What month/year was your car produced? Or which colour has the dash back plate, then I can find out the date of production by myself. Or let us know the last 7 digits of your VIN.

Up to production 02/89 is the old one with grey back plate color and the coding plug in the cable loom.

From 02/89 till 09/90 was the redesign with a white back plate with the code plug in the unit.

And from 09/90 it was with a blue back plate with code plug in the unit.

Code plug type
start ->02/89 Grey HML 075 2048 bytes No self test or diagnosis via Modic. Stops at 299960. code plug is non-standard

02/89 -> 09/90 White PIC 93C46 1024 bytes Self test + diagnosis via Modic. Code plug is standard EPROM

09/90 -> end Blue PIC 93C56 2048 bytes Self test + diagnosis via Modic. Code plug is standard EPROM

There is a socket in the unit for the bulb for the stomp test light, but no bulb inside. But even if I install a bulb, stomp test does not work.
So the question is, how is the wiring for this?

Would be great if you could shed some light on this.

Thanks a lot.

Note: This is how it is on the E32. This also applies to E34 models with a "high" version of the cluster. If your E34 has a check control display it's the "high" version.

netmgr
11-26-2004, 02:03 PM
hang on a minute i didnt say i wired my car up to work...it did this from the factory

but it is the early version with white back plate manuf 1989

HOWEVER the coding plug is not plugged in, no idea where that is

netmgr
11-26-2004, 02:32 PM
also on cars with no check control bulb the stomp test persay doesnt work, however if you put a bulb in the socket for it the fault codes are displayed all the time, so 'stomping' isnt required

webmasterz
11-26-2004, 06:11 PM
erm i am in the UK...and i do know better as mines got it...and its UK spec

Then yours must be the Chosen one!

Having owned several and being affiliated with many many more in the U.K, none of which have the "Stomp Facility" in any way shape or form.

I would be interested in seeing how/why yours has this very useful option, saves hooking up the scanner.

Tony

shogun
11-27-2004, 12:16 AM
what you are refering to.
also on cars with no check control bulb the stomp test persay doesnt work, however if you put a bulb in the socket for it the fault codes are displayed all the time, so 'stomping' isnt required
unquote

That are the usual system faults indicated in the check control such as "ASC, Brake Pressure, Low Brake Fluid, Coolant Temp., Handbrake on, Brake light, trans program, dip beam" and so on. See owners manual for details, and there are 3 priorities. All provided that you have a check control in your car and the warnings are depending on wether you have LKM or LKM-L installed.

A stomp test does not indicate such things and it does not show any words or letters/numbers. And for sure it it does not work like you say
"the fault codes are displayed all the time, so 'stomping' isnt required "
Just the light is blinking in certain intervals and you have to check in a list what the fault code is. And the stomp test only indicates for the most part the codes only info on US EPA specific components which are malfunctioning to the extent they cause increased emissions, they really aren't that useful a tool for non-emission related driveability issues.

I hope that I could explain to you the differences between normal system fault indications in the cc and stomp test codes, so that there is no misunderstanding anymore.

AREITO
11-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks to all for the INFO.

632 Regal
11-27-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm full.

DueyT
11-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Wow...too much turkey! I'm full.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/cheesy.gif

lesage
11-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Ah...that explains why I wasnt able to get the codes on my U 525iXT a to come up...Iss it not possible to get them to show on UK cars except by visiting dealer?

lesage
11-28-2004, 06:30 PM
I have never been ble to get codes from my UK 92 525 ixT a...no mtter how I banged in the gaas pedal...