PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering fluid

InfernoM3
11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
My check control is saying low Power steering fluid and I check what I believe is the PS tank in my 92 535i and it seems low. How do you go about adding more and what kind do I buy? Do i have to drain it or I can just add to the existing oil. Also where can I get it and how much does it cost. Thanks.

Qsilver7
11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
look at the top of the lid (it should say something like "ATF Oil")...go pick up some (Dexron III ATF) at our local AutoZone, PepBoy, Wal-Mart, etc...and fill the reservoir up to the line (you can see it if you look down in the reservoir) ... you can also tell by the dipstick (which should be integrated into the lid).

If you have an owners manual...you should check their too for any other pertinent info.

Power Steering Reservoir Lid:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/433594_164_full.jpg

power steering reservoir: (should be a black plastic canister that looks like the diagram below)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/c/149.png

If for some reason your power steering reservoir is made of metal and doesnt have an integrated dipstick made into the lid...plus it has "Oil CHF 11 S" engraved into the lid...DO NOT put ATF in this type of reservoir. You will need to use Pentosin CHF 11 S which is a hydraulic fluid.

Dick Schneiders
11-24-2004, 07:41 AM
what the current fluid is. Even though the lid might state something, that doesn't always mean that is what is in the system. Check the color of the fluid by dipping a white paper towel or tissue into it. If the fluid is reddish then it is ATF. It could have turned quite dark if it is old. If the fluid is greenish it is probably the CHF stuff. If it is clear or yellowish (it shouldn't be) then somebody has put in the typical stuff that is called Power Steering Fluid and that is not recommended for these cars. These fluids should not be mixed and matched, and can actually cause problems in the system if they are.

If not certain, then the best recourse is to drain the system and refill with the proper fluid, probably ATF but perhaps CHF.

My 1991 525i's had the plastic lid with the dipstick but said CHF 7.1 on it. However, one of them had ATF in it and that car still has ATF in it after 5 years of my ownership with no problems. From my research and experience, you only need to use the costly CHF stuff if you have a self-levelling suspension on your car, no matter what the lid says. However, again, if the fluid is green than you will need to top off with the same fluid.

look at the top of the lid (it should say something like "ATF Oil")...go pick up some (Dexron III ATF) at our local AutoZone, PepBoy, Wal-Mart, etc...and fill the reservoir up to the line (you can see it if you look down in the reservoir) ... you can also tell by the dipstick (which should be integrated into the lid).

If you have an owners manual...you should check their too for any other pertinent info.

Power Steering Reservoir Lid:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/433594_164_full.jpg

power steering reservoir: (should be a black plastic canister that looks like the diagram below)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/c/149.png

If for some reason your power steering reservoir is made of metal and doesnt have an integrated dipstick made into the lid...plus it has "Oil CHF 11 S" engraved into the lid...DO NOT put ATF in this type of reservoir. You will need to use Pentosin CHF 11 S which is a hydraulic fluid.

InfernoM3
11-24-2004, 02:19 PM
I did some preemptive thinking prior to reading this post. I checked out black lid and white ring label around the cap and it doesn't say anything. So I did dip a piece of white newspaper and it came out brown. so it looks like I need ATF. Any recommendations on what brand and how much to buy from my local autoparts store.

infinity5
11-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I have the same plastic res with the CHF sticker on the cap. i'd say about 2 years ago the res started leaking and the previous owners, once a week for two years, topped it off with the clear 'power steering fluid' stuff. the steering seems extremely heavy. not to mention its gotten to the point that it leaks form nearly every connection in the entire P/S system. i'll end up replacing the hoses sometime, but is there an easy way to drain the system? since i don't have LAD i'll probably use ATF.... but i don't want to invest the huge hassle and money in all new hoses this moment. would using the plain power steering fluid really hurt the system? and would swtiching the fluid be enough or has permante damage most likely been done?

what the current fluid is. Even though the lid might state something, that doesn't always mean that is what is in the system. Check the color of the fluid by dipping a white paper towel or tissue into it. If the fluid is reddish then it is ATF. It could have turned quite dark if it is old. If the fluid is greenish it is probably the CHF stuff. If it is clear or yellowish (it shouldn't be) then somebody has put in the typical stuff that is called Power Steering Fluid and that is not recommended for these cars. These fluids should not be mixed and matched, and can actually cause problems in the system if they are.

If not certain, then the best recourse is to drain the system and refill with the proper fluid, probably ATF but perhaps CHF.

My 1991 525i's had the plastic lid with the dipstick but said CHF 7.1 on it. However, one of them had ATF in it and that car still has ATF in it after 5 years of my ownership with no problems. From my research and experience, you only need to use the costly CHF stuff if you have a self-levelling suspension on your car, no matter what the lid says. However, again, if the fluid is green than you will need to top off with the same fluid.

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 06:35 PM
use the right stuff for your particular vehicle, dont mix em. There is a reason for that particular fluid and mix/match could result in swollen hoses, seals, pump failures, who knows.

Dick Schneiders
11-24-2004, 07:26 PM
with the clear stuff, as that could cause all sorts of problems like leaky seals and pump failure, and not just leaky hoses and connections.

At best this would cause the steering to work less efficiently. The only way I know of to drain the system is to take off a clip from the hose and let it drain out. I would do this and try and try to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. You can also suck it out of the reservoir, but that will still leave some down lower in the system. Then make certain all of the clips are on tight and refill the system with ATF. Use ordinary Dexron III and I would probably drive the car for awhile and do another drain and refill at least one more time - ATF is very inexpensive. After that, if the steering seems to be working ok and if there are no major leaks, you might be ok without any major expensive repairs. Any leaks need to be traced out to see if they are coming from hoses/clips, or somewhere else.

I have the same plastic res with the CHF sticker on the cap. i'd say about 2 years ago the res started leaking and the previous owners, once a week for two years, topped it off with the clear 'power steering fluid' stuff. the steering seems extremely heavy. not to mention its gotten to the point that it leaks form nearly every connection in the entire P/S system. i'll end up replacing the hoses sometime, but is there an easy way to drain the system? since i don't have LAD i'll probably use ATF.... but i don't want to invest the huge hassle and money in all new hoses this moment. would using the plain power steering fluid really hurt the system? and would swtiching the fluid be enough or has permante damage most likely been done?

InfernoM3
11-24-2004, 07:45 PM
I did some preemptive thinking prior to reading this post. I checked out black lid and white ring label around the cap and it doesn't say anything. So I did dip a piece of white newspaper and it came out brown. so it looks like I need ATF. Any recommendations on what brand and how much to buy from my local autoparts store.
Anyways I want to make sure before I go and buy something and start adding?

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Anyways I want to make sure before I go and buy something and start adding?

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 08:01 PM
first things first here, make sure your addressing the right container!!! make sure its the steering and not the brake fluid or something...not to be a smartass but seriously.

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a drain plug on the bottom of the pump. I drained mine, then started it, turned the wheels max both ways and when i was done the fresh fluid was perfectly clean. You dont have a drain plug on yours?

InfernoM3
11-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I know its the right cap and reservoir. has a ZF engraved on cap but doesn't say ATF only or anything. I dipped a paper in it and came out brown/red. So i' thinking I need ATF. jsut wanted confirmation and recommendation on what brand and how much I need to buy. Is one bottle enough?

Dick Schneiders
11-24-2004, 09:35 PM
model I have done this on.

I have a drain plug on the bottom of the pump. I drained mine, then started it, turned the wheels max both ways and when i was done the fresh fluid was perfectly clean. You dont have a drain plug on yours?

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 11:32 PM
I guess you could piss in there and it'd be OK.

infinity5
11-25-2004, 01:21 AM
i'd quadriple the volume of your reservoir just to be safe and have an extra car around if that doens't fill it up. like regal said, 'dextron III' is probably when you need, especailly since you checked the color and it wasn't green, correct? yep, you need ATF fluid, and dextron's what lots of the trannys use... i dunno how expensive it is, you might as well buy a good deal, i'm sure you'll have to top it off as time goes by

-and Dick, (thanks by the way) yeah i'm sure it wasn't drained first.. i havne't checked hard, but i'm positive its a goody mess of CHF and valvoline p/s fluid. or else ATF/ps. heh. my motor mounts look bad though too.. soooo i have a newproject.. two-birds-with-the one-stone and all it looks like.

i have an M60... so.. :( there was a post not all that long about about P/S hoses and motor mounts that scared me a little. remving the passanger side valve cover was hard enough.. i think at least a handful of paint chippings and dirt must have fallen in the enginetrying to get that old cover around the AC hoses.

I know its the right cap and reservoir. has a ZF engraved on cap but doesn't say ATF only or anything. I dipped a paper in it and came out brown/red. So i' thinking I need ATF. jsut wanted confirmation and recommendation on what brand and how much I need to buy. Is one bottle enough?

ve39
11-25-2004, 01:32 AM
my power streering shuts off when i go into dip water with my tires it shuts off for like 10sec and i guess dries up and come back to live