PDA

View Full Version : OT: Toyota 4WD Sequoia

Elekta
11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Are they full time 4WD, or can they run in 2WD for the street?

May have to trade the wife's 92 535ia for a security mom rig (baby#2 due May 16), and saw some decent values on 2001-2003's for the 4WD LTD with the drop down dvd.

I want the 4WD, but want her to save on gas around town in 2WD. I know the landcruisers are full time, and wondering if the Sequoia is more adaptable.

TIA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/cc9dcb52.jpg

Robin-535im
11-23-2004, 02:05 PM
but how many miles on the 535? What are you going to ask for it?

Not that I need another one... but 92-93's are not too common.

cary
11-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Sequia is a part time 4wd system. I would highly recommend that you drive both a Sequoia and Landcruiser before you settle on the Sequoia. The Lancruiser is a much more solid feeling vehicle with much better visability. Also, its slightly shorter making it easier to park, etc.. Usd Sequoia's are demanding such a premium they are priced nearly the same as the LC anyways (but the LC cost $55,000 new rather than $40,000). Finally, the Sequoia is built in the US, while the LC is still built by Aaraco in Japan with Japanese built motors.

Cary, a very happy Landcruiser owner.

Elekta
11-23-2004, 02:21 PM
but how many miles on the 535? What are you going to ask for it?

Not that I need another one... but 92-93's are not too common.

Haven't thought about it.

It's a 2 owner 535i Black on Gray, 107k, full maintenance dossier. Very very well maintained. That said, previous owner was a Houston housewife who drove the first 65k, and she did not use touchless carwashes, so the car suffers from severe swirl-idge. It has 5 or 6 door dings on driver's side, and the seats could use a re-dye here and there. There aint no rust tho. Basically it's a sleeper waiting to be lowered and debadged maybe even converted to 5speed. I won't be selling it to a teeny-bopper and I won't be giving it away.

Not a single vibration in steering, brakes are absolutley perfect, dead solid, no hand on the wheel 60-0 braking. New pilot XGT's, bilsteins, basic oil leak repaired, tranny flush...new headliner...many simple cares never ignored. This car is really just broken in as the previous owner was a 4 bmw owner and knew to replace bushings and guibos and motor mounts in a houston San Felipe road pot hole eater (inc a 72 3.0cs). I offered her a brand new $3k paint job (I was thinking that killer silver-blue metallic from the 2002 era) but she wants a new car, and doesn't want my touring (good). She will have buyers remorse immediately, because even the 2.7T quattro isn't as sporty as this 535ia in S-3.

So, I'm thinkin Sequoia and getting $9500 off with trade in.

All way way preliminary; the board will get first crack at it. I will probably steal the mint baskets for my car...the spare anyway. ;)

Elekta
11-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Sequia is a part time 4wd system. I would highly recommend that you drive both a Sequoia and Landcruiser before you settle on the Sequoia. The Lancruiser is a much more solid feeling vehicle with much better visability. Also, its slightly shorter making it easier to park, etc.. Usd Sequoia's are demanding such a premium they are priced nearly the same as the LC anyways (but the LC cost $55,000 new rather than $40,000). Finally, the Sequoia is built in the US, while the LC is still built by Aaraco in Japan with Japanese built motors.

Cary, a very happy Landcruiser owner.

I need the mileage improvement for getting to the South TX lease in 2WD, and then the 4WD getting off it if it rains. I know these beasts get 10-14 either way in the city, but I need some highway help. I like the rear window sliding down for the dog, and the longer wheel base is more smooth over the road. This is for a 5'4" security mom, who will be loading two kids in the near future. She might actually be better off with the 4 runner actually. Right now she wants the Allroad or the Saab4WD wagon, but that aint gonna be happnin. ;) You have to drive the first half of those cars, and we are not a new car buying family...not ever!.

The LC is just too much $$$. There are a glut of Sequoia's here in TX, and you can a fully loaded 2001-2003 for way under $30k with under 40k miles. Dealers will deal on these more than they will on the LC's.

So...to confirm, you can drive these around town in 2WD?

cary
11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Sequia can be driven around in in 2wd, but they get the same mileage as the LC. Bottom line is both will get 12-13 around town and 15-17 on the highway. BTW, I think you are seriously overestimating the price of a Used LC as there are many 2000s now in the 22,000-25,000 range. I would highly encourage you to drive both before making your decision. Also, the rear windows on the LC open a couple of inches for dog air. Still not as good as the 1991-1997 with the sliding windows where the dog can hang his head out and smile!!!

Elekta
11-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Sequia can be driven around in in 2wd, but they get the same mileage as the LC. Bottom line is both will get 12-13 around town and 15-17 on the highway. BTW, I think you are seriously overestimating the price of a Used LC as there are many 2000s now in the 22,000-25,000 range. I would highly encourage you to drive both before making your decision. Also, the rear windows on the LC open a couple of inches for dog air. Still not as good as the 1991-1997 with the sliding windows where the dog can hang his head out and smile!!!

I know too many friends with 97-2000 4WD's and they are mostly beat up suspension wise. The ones with really low mileage are proud, and I'd rather have the newer car.

I thought the highway mileage would be better on the Seq. We may just look at 4 runners instead. My dog really deserves that back window, which remains in the Seq and the 4R, which other than it being a toyota are my current decision points

thanks cary

out

geoff

cary
11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
When you say 97-2000 4wd, are you talking about LCs or Tahoes and Expeditions? There is a big difference. FYI, my wife drives my 1996 Landcruiser with 130k more than her 525i now. She says is it the most solid car she has ever owned, no rattles, squeeks or any other issues.

FYI, 4 runner is much smaller, but does get much better mileage, up to 20-22mpg on the highway. They are very well built, very reliable, the only issue being they feel a little narrow. The build quality of the 4 runner feels better to me than the Sequoia.