PDA

View Full Version : oh oh, I think I've killed a wheel bearing

Kamil
11-23-2004, 12:46 PM
oh oh, made a booboo... I usally very easy on the car, but I do have some mild fun in the rain, like an occasional wheel spin or a mild drift.

Yesterday, a mostly dry day, I was making a U-turn on a 4-lane road, from the left lane (instead of turning left, I made a [legal] u-turn). About a 1/3 thru the turn, I cut the wheel and floored it, bringing the end out and then back in a very nice fashion. :)

Fast forward to later that night. During take offs and slow downs I get a howling noise coming from the rear.
The noise is going away (or I cant hear it) at above 20MPH or so.
I think it's coming from the rear of the car, probably a wheel bearing, what else could it be?

Jon K
11-23-2004, 01:32 PM
could also be differential

Tiger
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Correct way to say is "Ut oh..." not "oh oh" which sounds like backward Santa.

Robin-535im
11-23-2004, 03:12 PM

Or Horshack from Welcome Back Cotter. That's three "oh's" IIRC.

Kamil
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM

Well, I am Polish and it is almost christmas, so :p

Thanks for your suggestion Tiger, how are the wheels/tires working out?

-K

Tiger
11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
The tires are great! The wheels I still got... no one wants them... maybe I can put them to good use too later... How in the world did you get those three dents? Is it all in NYC?

Kamil
11-23-2004, 07:29 PM
The tires are great! The wheels I still got... no one wants them... maybe I can put them to good use too later... How in the world did you get those three dents? Is it all in NYC?

I got the car like that. :(

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Kamil,

Since there are a few things that could hum as it fails in the rear end. Here's a few tips on determining what is failing.

Wheel Bearing- A crunching sound can be heard when rolling slowly in a quite place. Humming through out all speeds and conditions, sometime louder during a high speed turn.

Rear End Bearings- No hum or crunching until a certain speed in reached, sometimes only during acceleration or hill climbing. check rear end oil for tell tale "metal flake oil"

Ring and Pinion Gear- Hum though all speeds. Gets louder and higher with speed and acceleration. Quites down when coasting. check rear end oil for tell tale "metal flake oil" and sometimes a few teeth.

Spyder gear-(this blows out when pounding a gear in a turn) grunting or chiping during turns. check rear end oil for tell tale "metal flake oil" and sometimes a few teeth. Jack rear end up and turn one wheel, the other should turn as well smoothly.

CV and U joints- Hum with speed and crunching can be heard, but with a clunk as you go from park to in gear, or from acceleration to coast and accelrate again. Check the half and drive shafts for play.

Hopes it's the cheaper of the bunch

Tiger
11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
I C... then that means low pressure and potholes.

Kamil
11-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Kamil,

Since there are a few things that could hum as it fails in the rear end. Here's a few tips on determining what is failing.

Wheel Bearing- A crunching sound can be heard when rolling slowly in a quite place. Humming through out all speeds and conditions, sometime louder during a high speed turn.

Rear End Bearings- No hum or crunching until a certain speed in reached, sometimes only during acceleration or hill climbing. check rear end oil for tell tale "metal flake oil"

Ring and Pinion Gear- Hum though all speeds. Gets louder and higher with speed and acceleration. Quites down when coasting. check rear end oil for tell tale "metal flake oil" and sometimes a few teeth.

Spyder gear-(this blows out when pounding a gear in a turn) grunting or chiping during turns. check rear end oil for tell tale "metal flake oil" and sometimes a few teeth. Jack rear end up and turn one wheel, the other should turn as well smoothly.

CV and U joints- Hum with speed and crunching can be heard, but with a clunk as you go from park to in gear, or from acceleration to coast and accelrate again. Check the half and drive shafts for play.

Thanks Bob, very informative. :)

Kakaire
11-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Kamil,

Good info Bob. thx.