PDA

View Full Version : What's a good interior vinyl/rubber/plastic cleaner?

chapmanw
11-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Just wondering what's the preferred cleaner by the detailing fanatics? I'm trying to avoid that greasy glossy look that comes with Armor All.

Thanks for the input.

PhilipJCaputo
11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
for my black plastic parts... I've been spraying some foamy armor-all make your tires shiney stuff onto a rag, then, wipe the plastic with that....

I think it does a good job at making the black look black again.... I do the same with the black plastic impact strip that goes around the car

dternst
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Einszett Products work really well and provide a choice of product for different looks: Gloss or Matte. Checkout www.detailersparadise.com

Tiger
11-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Leatherique's Pristine Kleen

Renman
11-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Leatherique's Pristine Kleen
If you want top shelf quality detailing products, here's a good place to check out: http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Tiger
11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
They are too pricy... I never used them yet.

JonE
11-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Ditto on the Leatherique Pristine Clean.

Mobius
11-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Just wondering what's the preferred cleaner by the detailing fanatics? I'm trying to avoid that greasy glossy look that comes with Armor All.

Thanks for the input.
Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner is pretty good. For more cleaning and less shiny, their Vinyl cleaner is very good, too.

ArmorAll is not a cleaner at all. It's a silicone spray. It's also an AWFUL product that should not come within 20' of your BMW. If you ever have the misfortune of developing a crack in your dash; you can thank ArmorAll for it. Silicone has this nasty habit of sucking plasticizers out of vinyl and rubber; making them harden and shrink prematurely.

chapmanw
11-24-2004, 11:05 AM
I think I will give the Meguiar's a try. Not much selection in terms of detailing products around here.

I thought silicone was good for rubber, so it keeps soft. That's why I thought it was applied to rubber trim around doors.

Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner is pretty good. For more cleaning and less shiny, their Vinyl cleaner is very good, too.

ArmorAll is not a cleaner at all. It's a silicone spray. It's also an AWFUL product that should not come within 20' of your BMW. If you ever have the misfortune of developing a crack in your dash; you can thank ArmorAll for it. Silicone has this nasty habit of sucking plasticizers out of vinyl and rubber; making them harden and shrink prematurely.

Ted K
11-25-2004, 01:52 AM
If you want top shelf quality detailing products, here's a good place to check out: http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp
I second Griots

Mobius
11-25-2004, 09:38 PM
I thought silicone was good for rubber, so it keeps soft. That's why I thought it was applied to rubber trim around doors.Makes it look 'good' (If you like the shiny greased look) - but it does absolutely nothing beneficial for rubber or plastic at all; whatsoever. It can, and does help in the winter to keep the weatherstripping from freezing to the door frame, but any rubber dressing will help that.

Feel free to test it. Find any nice supple rubber and see how supple it remains after it's been slathered with that trash.

Alan_525i
11-25-2004, 10:27 PM
I use Vinylex on the interior, stoner's trim shine on the black plastic lower bumpers, mother's back to black on the moldings and door handles.

califblue
11-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Griots...that is if you really care about your car...
if is to expensive maybe you should be driving something else. my .02 :p

George M
11-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Many good ones mentioned in this thread. My favorite is 303 Aerospace Protectant...right gloss (low) and good UV protection.
George

walt
11-28-2004, 09:00 AM
I also like 303. Locally, can find it only at a boat shop.