PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! 1st gear pop out

Jeff
11-20-2004, 08:05 PM
I have a 1990 535i 5 speed

Intermitenly first gear pops out when releasing clutch.
Seems to happen more when car warms up.
I replaced all the shifter bushings and that didn't work.

Also, stiff clutch pedal, don't know if it is related or not.
Hope that it's not a syncro problem.

Also heard of people trying Redline MTL fluid in the trany for pop out condition and having good results.

Does anyone know where to get redline fluid in Canada (Toronto area)

Any sugestions would be great.

talltorontoguy
11-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Jeff...

I had EXACTLY the same problem for over a year... getting worse and worse. I replaced the clutch (was stiff... turned out to be the throw out bearing collar or some such thing), I replaced all linkages... to no avail.

I was about to buy a new used tranny and figured I would try the redline fluid. The fluid that came out was basically brown crap.

Needless to say nobody was happier than I was to find the problem was immediately fixed! (except for Bruno who would have had to put the tranny in)

It's been in for over a month now and hasn't recurred.

You can get Redline in only one place that I could find, it is called JRP Johnston Research and Performance, Mississauga, 905-564-8805. www.jrponline.com

You'll need two bottles @ about $20 CDN each. It's worth it.

Good luck!

Rod

Jeff
11-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Jeff...

I had EXACTLY the same problem for over a year... getting worse and worse. I replaced the clutch (was stiff... turned out to be the throw out bearing collar or some such thing), I replaced all linkages... to no avail.

I was about to buy a new used tranny and figured I would try the redline fluid. The fluid that came out was basically brown crap.

Needless to say nobody was happier than I was to find the problem was immediately fixed! (except for Bruno who would have had to put the tranny in)

It's been in for over a month now and hasn't recurred.

You can get Redline in only one place that I could find, it is called JRP Johnston Research and Performance, Mississauga, 905-564-8805. www.jrponline.com

You'll need two bottles @ about $20 CDN each. It's worth it.

Good luck!

Rod

Thanks Rod

I put the Redline MTL in and haven't had any pop put since.
Who would have thought that fluid could correct the condition.
Also I'll try the throw out bearing for the stiff pedal.

Thanx

talltorontoguy
11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey man, I'm glad for you!

I know exactly the pain you were feeling... and the overwhelming joy when the problem was fixed for only $40 in fluid.

I also had a noisy / groaning rear differential in which I used Redline fluid and added a friction additive from ford. No noise at all now!

Redline does rock. (No I'm not a sponsor, but I am a BELIEVER)

Congrats and enjoy!

Rod

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 11:16 PM
sounds great guys! I'm glad it all worked out so simple!
Happy bird day!