PDA

View Full Version : M60 oil leak

kentish
11-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi to everyone

My engine developed a quite nasty oil leak during the last three months. Its only now that i am geting oil in my driveway each time car is parked

It seems to be coming from the timing case.

I would like to know if the timing case gaskets are easy to change. I need to clean the oil which has spread all over the place to know for sure where the oil is coming from.

Any other place I should be looking for. all the pipes seems to be okie(power steering-no leak

Valve cover gasket are all clear of oil leak. the leak is on the right hand side of the car,ie, near oil filter case and alternator.

Kentish
540iA 1994

632 Regal
11-20-2004, 02:43 PM
might be the oil filter housing gasket too, clean it up and find out for sure.

tim
11-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Who last changed your oil? I like the leaky oil canister theory. Shragon recently had a problem with the o-ring, and he's really experienced. Get under the car, take off the protectors and really inspect to see where its coming from. Pretty rare for the timing chain covers to just start leaking without something helping it.

If you end up removing the timing chain covers (which may or may not be the problem here) might as well take off the pan and check on those oil pump bolts for the heck of it.

632 Regal
11-20-2004, 05:20 PM
definetly check the o-ring deal first! i havent had my inspection covers off yet because im afraid if i do ill get into way too much stuff at once.

Who last changed your oil? I like the leaky oil canister theory. Shragon recently had a problem with the o-ring, and he's really experienced. Get under the car, take off the protectors and really inspect to see where its coming from. Pretty rare for the timing chain covers to just start leaking without something helping it.

If you end up removing the timing chain covers (which may or may not be the problem here) might as well take off the pan and check on those oil pump bolts for the heck of it.

kentish
11-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Oil was changed eight month back and the canister appears to be clean. now I need to check whether its the oil canister case attached to the engine which is leaking.

I check Tis and there is something about timing chanin cover not properly being torqued but I had a Alusil replacement. I think they would have torqued everything well when the block was replaced.

the oil leak was not that serious till I drive the car quite hard during the week, supposely taking out some bad old carbon fron the cylinders, now I got a nasty oil leak.

Kentish

Messerschmitt
11-21-2004, 02:19 PM
The paper gaskets on the upper timing chain covers will start to leak over time. They seem to go all at once and it really makes a mess.

The gaskets are cheap (US$8.00) but they will take most of a day to install, and a good set of tools.

The passenger side is easy, and you'll be lucky if it is the only one that leaks. The drivers side involves removing the water pump and alternator if you want to do it right. Not impossible just time consuming.

I'd try retorquing as per the TIS and see if it works, before taking on the job of replacing the gaskets. If you have to do the gaskets, and choose to do them yourself, there are several other things that I would replace while I have everything apart: Valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets (6 total), water pipe gaskets, oil return pipe gasket, and rear manifold cover (PCV system).

Good Luck

Messerschmitt

DueyT
11-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Oil was changed eight month back and the canister appears to be clean. now I need to check whether its the oil canister case attached to the engine which is leaking.

I check Tis and there is something about timing chanin cover not properly being torqued but I had a Alusil replacement. I think they would have torqued everything well when the block was replaced.

the oil leak was not that serious till I drive the car quite hard during the week, supposely taking out some bad old carbon fron the cylinders, now I got a nasty oil leak.

Kentish
Kentish, sorry to hear about your Alusil replacement... :( I knew they were trouble! :p Seriously though, like ME says, try retorquing first, then take it from there...

Cheers,
Duey

kentish
11-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the replies

I will try cleaning everything first and see from where the oil is leaking. Unfortunately, Its the driver side which is leaking the most.

oil canister is clean but need to check the pipe. Starting to hear some weird noise on cold start for the sump. Might be the oil pump. will remove pan and retorque everything.

The engine is quite messy from beneath and its a real pain to trace the oil leak

Kentish
540ia 1994