PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rising idle in park or neutral...heeelllpppp

ryan roopnarine
11-20-2004, 01:57 PM
i guess this started after i did a fuel injector cleaning. if i drive the car, put it into park with the engine running one or two times, the idle is semi normal. it seems though that if i drive, park, drive, park, drive, park.......the idle seems to go up with each "park" or neutral. yesterday it got as high as 1300 rpm. to shift between, i'd put the air conditioner on so that the idle dropped by 150-200 so that i am not harder on the transmission than i need be. does this sound like a dying oxygen sensor, or maybe an ICV issue? i took the dme out of the car yesterday to reset itself, it seems like the problem is getting a wee bit better, but it could just be my imagination. if it persists, i might take the O2 sensor out and clean the carbon off of it and its air intake hole. thanks.

shogun
11-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Could be various things:
idle control valve
MAF
temperature sensor for air
temperature sensor for coolant
oxy sensor

Do you have any possibility to read engine faults with a diagnosis tester?
That would be the easiest. If not, you have to check step by step. Would first start with cleaning the idle valve.

chamilun
11-20-2004, 04:00 PM
why would O2 sensor affect idle?

could be sticking throttle cable.

winfred
11-20-2004, 10:33 PM
id get the basics outta the way first like air leaks can do weird things, check out the finger diameter hose and it's smaller twin comming out of the front of the valve cover, the big one goes to the air boot and the small one goes to the plastic block that the icv is hooked to. if that aint is check out the throttle/cruise cables are not hanging up/popped out

winfred
11-20-2004, 10:35 PM
or my personal favorite the floor mat holding the gas pedel down, seen it enough times that i don't laugh nearly as much as i use to

jj7
11-20-2004, 11:10 PM
i guess this started after i did a fuel injector cleaning. if i drive the car, put it into park with the engine running one or two times, the idle is semi normal. it seems though that if i drive, park, drive, park, drive, park.......the idle seems to go up with each "park" or neutral. yesterday it got as high as 1300 rpm. to shift between, i'd put the air conditioner on so that the idle dropped by 150-200 so that i am not harder on the transmission than i need be. does this sound like a dying oxygen sensor, or maybe an ICV issue? i took the dme out of the car yesterday to reset itself, it seems like the problem is getting a wee bit better, but it could just be my imagination. if it persists, i might take the O2 sensor out and clean the carbon off of it and its air intake hole. thanks.
Ryan, as you mentioned that this idle issue developped after injector cleaning. last night i was doing some searching on the net regarding injector cleaning, i think i came cross many articles that after cleaning the injectors the idle will rise slightly,but will stay some time like that till ecu adapts again.I think may be its wise to wait a while before jumping to conclusions....

wengenstein
11-20-2004, 11:11 PM
I had that happen to me once..I nearly shat myself. :)

Then I remembered that I needed some new floormat anchors.

or my personal favorite the floor mat holding the gas pedel down, seen it enough times that i don't laugh nearly as much as i use to

jj7
11-22-2004, 03:18 AM
Ryan, i hope you managed to smoooothen the idle isuue with the car...but it crossed my mind to ask you about the type of cleaning you did on the injectors, were they taken out of the car?got them cleaned with pressure or ultrasonic?or just applying any cleaner while they are in place...what symptoms before the cleaning let you do the service...i am just going to the garage to disassemble the intake of my 525i,94 to check it thouroughly,all the hoses,and also go for injector cleaning using the pressure method. Please throw in some lines here and it will be greatly appreciated

Kakaire
11-22-2004, 08:13 AM
New here, but a couple of incidents were to do with floor mat.