PDA

View Full Version : Replacing M50tu timing chain tensioner spring

Russell
11-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I plan on replacing my 95 M50tu timing chain tensioner spring with new spring and piston, gasket etc. with parts I just recieved from BMA. Per Bentley, it seems I just unscrew the cap, insert new parts and tighten cap to 37 ft-lbs.

Is there anything I should look out for? I did notice there is no notch in the piston end like the etk diagram and as stated in Bentley. It is smooth with a small hole in the end-no notch??

TIA

winfred
11-19-2004, 09:44 PM
if it has no notch then theres nothing to line up, pour some oil on it and shove it in, i think they got rid of the notch to dummy proof it

Russell
11-19-2004, 10:47 PM
if it has no notch then theres nothing to line up, pour some oil on it and shove it in, i think they got rid of the notch to dummy proof it

Russell
11-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Just remove and replace. Oil parts first as Winfred stated. Found some wear on end of old clylinder. However the old spring appears to be about 1/8 inch shorter. Assume it compressed over time and reduced tension. Very liitle, if any sludge etc was found on the parts. I have used Mobil 1 0w40 for the last 16,000 miles.

End result - the first start of the day with a cold engine had no valve train noise. When reved no rattle seemed present. Perhaps this is one fix for what has been attributed to "vanos rattle" Cost me about $25 for parts and shipping through BMA.

Hope this helps someone

I plan on replacing my 95 M50tu timing chain tensioner spring with new spring and piston, gasket etc. with parts I just recieved from BMA. Per Bentley, it seems I just unscrew the cap, insert new parts and tighten cap to 37 ft-lbs.

Is there anything I should look out for? I did notice there is no notch in the piston end like the etk diagram and as stated in Bentley. It is smooth with a small hole in the end-no notch??

TIA

Russell
11-25-2004, 10:37 AM
The engine seems much quieter after replacing the tensioner parts especially at idle and when accelerating. Highly recommend this repalcement especially on engines with 100,000 miles on it. As I have said, this may be what some have thought was the "vanos rattle". IMO, this makes the engine sound more like it did when new. :)

Next is my exhaust. It is getting louder. I think the internal baffles are almost gone. :(

Just remove and replace. Oil parts first as Winfred stated. Found some wear on end of old clylinder. However the old spring appears to be about 1/8 inch shorter. Assume it compressed over time and reduced tension. Very liitle, if any sludge etc was found on the parts. I have used Mobil 1 0w40 for the last 16,000 miles.

End result - the first start of the day with a cold engine had no valve train noise. When reved no rattle seemed present. Perhaps this is one fix for what has been attributed to "vanos rattle" Cost me about $25 for parts and shipping through BMA.

Hope this helps someone