PDA

View Full Version : ot? Bose suspension in popular science

casurfer911
11-19-2004, 05:22 AM
there is an incredible article in the december issue of popular science about bose(yes the speaker company) making a new suspension system that consists of electromagnets (thats how they tie speakers and suspension together) and the suspesion is supposed to be smoother than any luxury car yet handle as good as any race car. Very interesting read

Tiger
11-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Read that months ago... very interesting tech. Active suspension that predicts what will happen and prep before you hit the bump, pothole, irregularity... etc.

DaCan23
11-19-2004, 10:39 AM
He's spent 100's of millions of dollars on it, there gonna pick one luxury manufacturer to have exclusive rights to the system, it's pretty amazing, say goodbye to body roll... I was tellin GF about it cause her mom works at Bose in Framingham MA and she was skeptical I knew what I was talkin about till she asked her mom

there is an incredible article in the december issue of popular science about bose(yes the speaker company) making a new suspension system that consists of electromagnets (thats how they tie speakers and suspension together) and the suspesion is supposed to be smoother than any luxury car yet handle as good as any race car. Very interesting read

Gearhead
05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Bringing up an Oooooold topic here, but I came across this and thought most of you would be very interested. You've got to watch theses videos. Not much on applications/retrofits, but damned cool!

John

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/project_sound/suspension_results.jsp

632 Regal
05-18-2006, 03:05 PM
ahhh the ol quicktime lock up the browser routine...

Jay 535i
05-18-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but Cadillac has been playing for a while with shocks filled with a magnetic fluid. The viscosity of the fluid can be changed by running a current through it, so the computer can adjust the suspension depending on conditions.

The Bose demos on that Lexus are mighty impressive.

ThoreauHD
05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I thought that bump test was really impressive. Nice technology. Yay for magnetism.

Rustam
05-18-2006, 05:27 PM

I like the idea a lot...
Consequently the application assumes ability to control "reaction time" of electromagnets in dumping the imperfections, with a computer and ability to have smooth spectrum of settings from "comfort" to "sport"... The suspension can replace both springs and shock absorbers in one setup (and sway bars).

BillionPa
05-18-2006, 06:00 PM
the caddy thing is Delphi EDFC.

i would personally be more interested in having a new Koni multivalve shock with some sort of hydraulic attachment that controlled roll and dive based on cornering G forces in an almost totally mechanical system.

No rediculously expensive electronic shocks to replace if something goes wrong