PDA

View Full Version : 540 Nickasil question

Mr. BILL
11-18-2004, 11:39 PM
I know this has been asked a million times, and I'm fairly well versed on the subject, but I thought I'd run this by ya'll. I saw a '94 540 today. The car is in fairly nice condition and the are asking $4900 for it.

I got to start it while stone cold and it idled pretty darn rough, but it did start right up. The check engine light is on as well as the SRS. It even ran rough while reving it up a little. I didn't wait until the temp came all the way upbefore I shut it off and left.

From what I have learned, rough idle is a sign of a bad block. However, I'm also aware of the inlet tube leaking as well as leaking valve covers letting oil onto the spark plugscausing similar symptoms. There was a fair amount of oil that had leaked onto the engine, particularly the front, making me suspect the valve cover seals.

So, befor I completely pass this one up, I was wondering if it sounds like it could be the inlet tube or leaking valve covers? I know a compression/leak down test would tell for sure, but I don't want to throw away $100 if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

winfred
11-18-2004, 11:47 PM
unplug the computer for a minute or so reconnect then start it, it should run better for a little while unless it has a huge vacuum leak or seriously fowled plugs

Tiger
11-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Oil up the spark plug hole and coil does the same thing too.

Bob in San Jose
11-19-2004, 02:55 AM
Bill,
If you are concerned it is Nikasil you can confirm from the casting number on the block. Koalamotorsport.com has all the info you need.

If it is an Alusil block it probably needs new valve cover, Intake and PCV gaskets.

Bob

632 Regal
11-19-2004, 02:30 PM
with the check engine light on and SRS light on somethings going on there. Could be MAF, vacumme leak like winfred said, bad plugs and coils etc. Theres a lot of simple stupid things it could be before the actual engine being bad.

Mr. BILL
11-19-2004, 06:10 PM
That's what I was thinking, something other than a bad block. They obviously think the motor is bad, hence the price. It'd be worth buing if it's the "stupid" things, maybe $300 I'd guess.