PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket ? 90 535

Tder
11-18-2004, 11:43 AM
It looks like my head gasket on my 120K 90 535i is starting to seep and will need to be replaced. It was replaced by the original owner probably 7 years ago somewhere around 60-70K.

Questions are: Is this about right in terms of failure rate? It's been a while since I've lurked around the E34 forums but I seem to recall that there were people who had done at least 2 head gaskets through the life of their cars.

Also should I have the valves looked at by a machine shop while the heads out? Any thing else that I should deal with while everythings apart? (Other than water pump, T-stat, new bolts etc...).

Thanks in advance,

Tom Der
North Hampton, NH
90 535
91 M3
05 Cooper S Works

Springfield1952
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
If I pulled the head for a gasket replacement I'd have the valve guides and stem seals replaced.

Curt.

Hector
11-18-2004, 12:25 PM
"535i head gasket." There is alot of info related to this maybe more than you ever wanted to know from cleaning piston tops to disassembling/assembling head.

It looks like my head gasket on my 120K 90 535i is starting to seep and will need to be replaced. It was replaced by the original owner probably 7 years ago somewhere around 60-70K.

Questions are: Is this about right in terms of failure rate? It's been a while since I've lurked around the E34 forums but I seem to recall that there were people who had done at least 2 head gaskets through the life of their cars.

Also should I have the valves looked at by a machine shop while the heads out? Any thing else that I should deal with while everythings apart? (Other than water pump, T-stat, new bolts etc...).

Thanks in advance,

Tom Der
North Hampton, NH
90 535
91 M3
05 Cooper S Works