PDA

View Full Version : Ah hell, I think my car is conspiring against me! :(

doogie
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Ugh,

In the middle of replacing my water pump I manage to snap the top water pump bolt while tightening it up :(

I've taken the pump back off etc but now I have a little stumpy bit hanging out of the bolt location.

I can obviously get new bolts (I'll replace all 3!) easily enough, but what's the best way to get the stumpy remnant out? I've tried hanging on to it with pliers and twisting and stuff but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Anyone got any tips? Am I looking at getting a tap and die and trying to hollow out the middle of the bolt and grip it from the inside, or is there an easier option?

I think I'm destined to never get my baby back on the road :'(

PhilipJCaputo
11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
you could file the threads down enough to give you a smaller flat surface to grip with pliers.

Sweetwater
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Ugh,

In the middle of replacing my water pump I manage to snap the top water pump bolt while tightening it up :(

I've taken the pump back off etc but now I have a little stumpy bit hanging out of the bolt location.

I can obviously get new bolts (I'll replace all 3!) easily enough, but what's the best way to get the stumpy remnant out? I've tried hanging on to it with pliers and twisting and stuff but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Anyone got any tips? Am I looking at getting a tap and die and trying to hollow out the middle of the bolt and grip it from the inside, or is there an easier option?

I think I'm destined to never get my baby back on the road :'(

Locking Vice Grips with a little filing if needed.

And if you think there's a conspiracy, there probably is...... ;)

Robin-535im
11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Many a bolt has fallen prey to my dear Vice Grips. Soak in PB Blaster for a bit and try working both in and out (CW and CCW) with the stud to break the bond.

western99
11-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Make sure you get a smaller bit and go down straight in the center. I guarantee you it will work. I have done this in the past with no problems. Just be steady and it should come out.

Jon K
11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Make sure you get a smaller bit and go down straight in the center. I guarantee you it will work. I have done this in the past with no problems. Just be steady and it should come out.

he'd have to remove the radiator on some of the front clip to get a drill to angle at that position...

Jos
11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
What about using a reverse thread extractor? They are normally used for screws rather than bolts, but it might work. Of course it depends if you can get a hole drilled in the top of the stud. A proper stud extractor might also work provided there is enough of the bolt sticking out to get a hold of.

Failing that I would go for the file/grinder and vice grips method:) You could also file it off square and use a small open ended spanner (wrench?) instead of vice grips.

Good luck!

netmgr
11-18-2004, 07:22 PM
why go to all that hastle

just get another engine... :p