PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy BMW keyless entry/security system?

Bill'93Touring
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM
BavAuto - and my local stealer - have it for $400. Anyone know of a dealer or other source selling it for less? Looking for PN 82 11 1 468 755 for my '93 wagon.

Would also take a used one if someone has one lying around collecting dust.

Thanks all,
Bill in Oakland, CA

PhilipJCaputo
11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
you might try ebay..... I've seen the box that goes under the back seat going for maybe like 40 bucks...... Granted you'll need the prewired hook ups for the box....

PhilipJCaputo
11-17-2004, 03:40 PM
how about them apples!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935366420&category=33721&sspagename=WDVW

Tiger
11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
They are junk... do yourself a favor and get a good aftermarket one... Clifford, DEI etc.

Don McAdams
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
I've had good luck with my AutoLoc from BMP. FWIR it was around $200. It was very easy to install, pluggged right into the factory pre-wired harness under the r/s rear seat. It came w/ everything needed. It also has a nice feature that automatically locks all the doors after 5 seconds w/ key on (a must have while it's my wife's car- for the added protection)-

HTH~

Bill'93Touring
11-18-2004, 01:15 PM
What makes them "junk" as you say. I have an Alpine alarm in two other of my cars and it has been just fine. I have heard from Z3 owner that OEM alarm lacks sensors that would protect his top-down convertible, but I have a wagon.

I welcome all thoughts?

They are junk... do yourself a favor and get a good aftermarket one... Clifford, DEI etc.

Bill'93Touring
11-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks for checking Philip. I saw this one (I think it's the same one) and the ebay ad is designed deceptively to make it look like a factory alarm. Look closer and you can see the seller never actually claims it's OEM.

So, the search continues.....

Thanks for the replies,
Bill

how about them apples!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935366420&category=33721&sspagename=WDVW

Bill'93Touring
11-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I've had good luck with my AutoLoc from BMP. FWIR it was around $200. It was very easy to install, pluggged right into the factory pre-wired harness under the r/s rear seat. It came w/ everything needed. It also has a nice feature that automatically locks all the doors after 5 seconds w/ key on (a must have while it's my wife's car- for the added protection)-

HTH~

Tiger
11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
It is at least 10 years old technology... outdated. I have BMW factory alarm on my car and they will work maybe 50% of the time... All E34 have major issue with the antennae where you sometime will find it impossible to unarm the car... they don't prevent the starter from cranking either...

All in all? I only use it to lock and unlock my car... forget the alarm... I don't want to be stranded. So you say "only the antennae?" Well it will cost you probably around $150+ just for the antennae.

gamjohn2
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
I have only had a Viper alarm on my old e30 and that did me just fine. What are some reputable aftermarket alarm brands that you guys might recommend??

Qsilver7
11-18-2004, 05:28 PM
... they don't prevent the starter from cranking either...

If you have the TIS CD..you can verify this...but some e34s do have "driveway protection" installed as standard equipment. I forget if it was 1993 or 1994...but one way to tell is if your door lock only once. If you have the single lock/double lock feature (see diagram below)...then you don't have it. But if you have "driveway protection"...when you lock your doors...it automatically "double locks" the car and sets an anti-theft feature that is totally independent of the OBC's CODE feature whereby the fuel system is shut down and I believe the ignition system is also shut down. Again, I read this info on the TIS CD that was info about changes by model year for the e34. This feature was included across all E34 models for the year that it was implemented.

So with the "outdated" Alpine keyless entry system...he will get more than just locking and unlocking the doors. He will also get fuel/ignition shut down...I if memory serves me correct...this started in the 1993 e34 model. sorry I can't be of more help with the model year...I'm at home and I'm a MAC user...my TIS is on my work PC so I can't look it up to verify it.

FYI ;)

If your door lock has two locking positions like in the diagram below (single & double lock)...then you dont have the "driveway protection" system. But if your car automatically double locks with one turn of the key (began in 1993 or 1994 or check your owners manual) then your car does more than just double-locks the doors when you turn the key...you get the added protection of fuel & ignition shut down. (which BMW left out of the manual)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_150_full.jpg

Garlic Breath
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Any opinions about these guys ?

BMWSTX - PLUG IN BMW ALARM W/ 2X SHOCK SENSOR (http://stellaralarms.com/detail.lasso?itemid=BMWSTX)

Don McAdams
11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Any opinions about these guys ?

BMWSTX - PLUG IN BMW ALARM W/ 2X SHOCK SENSOR (http://stellaralarms.com/detail.lasso?itemid=BMWSTX)

Tiger
11-19-2004, 12:16 AM
I got all that... My alarm tripped many time and I have tested the functions... It definitely will not let you start the car... but allows cranking... (fuel cut-off). It will siren chirping funtion... and yes, you need to press lock twice to arm the system. However, it will NOT double-lock... yes I have tested this.

It is still outdated and cranky. Plus, key-fob is $120 a pop. I'd rather get aftermarket system and tie it to factory alarm wires.

charlie
11-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I agree with tiger. too cranky and does not work from that far away. I have a '95 540 and it has the fuel shut off, and has never given me problems, but I've had good luck with a viper alarm I put on my Ford Explorer. I'd be more than happy to give you my alarm. my Viper ALWAYS works from inside the house, the BMW works from inside the house when it feels like it.

What makes them "junk" as you say. I have an Alpine alarm in two other of my cars and it has been just fine. I have heard from Z3 owner that OEM alarm lacks sensors that would protect his top-down convertible, but I have a wagon.

I welcome all thoughts?

Tiger
11-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Today, my car won't even unlock... Good thing I didn't even both arming it. Then it worked when I came home... It is just too cranky as you said... unreliable.

Bill'93Touring
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
I have a question or two. Pardon me if they are so simplistic as to be insulting. Any chance the remote's batteries are old/weak, causing the erratic arming/disarming? Or has it always been this way?

Any about that under-seat antenna: has anyone tried to strengthen the antenna (by making it bigger/longer, or something - I can't even think of suggestion being an electrical lame *ss).

Anyway, thanks for your input. Any idea whether an aftermarket alarm can be used with some wiring harness/interface that minimizes splicing and maximizes use of the car's pre-wiring?

Bottom line: can't have the wife, with 3 year old twins in tow, struggling to get into the wagon.

Bill in Oakland, CA
'93 Touring
'81 745i (x2)
'87 535is
'71 Ranchero GT
'95 Montero

Today, my car won't even unlock... Good thing I didn't even both arming it. Then it worked when I came home... It is just too cranky as you said... unreliable.