PDA

View Full Version : What to do with no stomp test...

wengenstein
11-16-2004, 02:50 PM
The stomp test doesn't work on my '95 540i (12/94 prod).. Is there any other way short of a code reader to get fault codes?

Two or three times now I've seen the check engine light pop on while the car is at idle (like at a stop light or something). It goes away as soon as I shift to 1st and start moving again. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis

632 Regal
11-16-2004, 03:26 PM
once you figure it out you will catch on. First time I did it I swore it wasnt an option. sit in car, close door, attach seatbelt to eliminate any distractions including radio. Turn key to the on position and stop FAST 5 times and watch the engine light...dont work? do i again...persistance pays. Wait at least 10 seconds between attempts if you dont get it the first time.

wengenstein
11-16-2004, 07:29 PM
I'll go try again right now...I've tried quite a few times in the past but never got it to work. Hopefully persistance will pay :)

once you figure it out you will catch on. First time I did it I swore it wasnt an option. sit in car, close door, attach seatbelt to eliminate any distractions including radio. Turn key to the on position and stop FAST 5 times and watch the engine light...dont work? do i again...persistance pays. Wait at least 10 seconds between attempts if you dont get it the first time.

DueyT
11-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Dennis, maybe it's the Nikasil! *LOL* Welcome to the club. Like Jeff says, it can be a PITA but persistence pays off!

"Have it you indeed, warrior young. But purpose and conviction to stomp with you must!" Yoda :D

wengenstein
11-16-2004, 07:50 PM
So you can do it on your 540? I was just in the garage again and I still can't get it to work.

I wanna make sure I'm doing it right... I turn the key to the position juat before ignition. Then, almost immediatly, (I think I tried waiting a couple seconds too) I hit the accelorator to the floor five times as quickly as I can. On Bruno's site it says 5 times within 5 seconds, should that maybe read 5 times over 5 seconds, i.e., once a second? :)

When you first turn the key to the appropriate position there's some blinking and dinging, should I wait till thats all done with or just get right to it?

Dennis, maybe it's the Nikasil! *LOL* Welcome to the club. Like Jeff says, it can be a PITA but persistence pays off!

"Have it you indeed, warrior young. But purpose and conviction to stomp with you must!" Yoda :D

netmgr
11-16-2004, 08:09 PM
blinking and dinging of what?

not the blinking of a check engine light by any chance?

Bill R.
11-16-2004, 08:19 PM
stomp test no longer works and you need a scan tool or code reader to read the codes.

So you can do it on your 540? I was just in the garage again and I still can't get it to work.

I wanna make sure I'm doing it right... I turn the key to the position juat before ignition. Then, almost immediatly, (I think I tried waiting a couple seconds too) I hit the accelorator to the floor five times as quickly as I can. On Bruno's site it says 5 times within 5 seconds, should that maybe read 5 times over 5 seconds, i.e., once a second? :)

When you first turn the key to the appropriate position there's some blinking and dinging, should I wait till thats all done with or just get right to it?

wengenstein
11-16-2004, 08:22 PM
no :)

blinking and dinging of what?

not the blinking of a check engine light by any chance?

632 Regal
11-16-2004, 08:24 PM
stomp test no longer works and you need a scan tool or code reader to read the codes.

wengenstein
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Thats gotta be it...I've tried everything. I'm going to go get dinner and order a code reader.. :)

Thanks for the info Bill!

Dennis

632 Regal
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
some cars dont do this anymore???

Bill R.
11-16-2004, 08:35 PM
some flash updates the stomp test no longer works and you have to have the codes read with a scan tool or reader.

some cars dont do this anymore???

winfred
11-16-2004, 09:55 PM
i've gotten a few cars that stomp but don't read, had a real shitty 95 318 last week that both my new snapon scanner and chuck our other wrench's older snapon scanner wouldn't read but the stomp worked, it's not the first time we've had one like this, when nothing works that's usually a problem with the car

some flash updates the stomp test no longer works and you have to have the codes read with a scan tool or reader.

DueyT
11-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Hmmm...mine was flashed and still stomps. How many different versions of the flashware were there, Bill?

p.s. Dennis, for the stomp, I do thi following:

- turn the key to accesories (position 1)
- pause for a bit (kind of a preparation for the daring deed)
- turn the ignition on (position 2)
- pause for a brief moment, like "one-thou..."
- quickly and evenly step down-up five times within about 2 seconds

It is definitely an even, methodical "down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up", and not a "down-pause-up-pause..." or "down-up-pause..." etc...

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
11-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Anderson had written. I figure if anybody would know it would be him.

Hmmm...mine was flashed and still stomps. How many different versions of the flashware were there, Bill?

p.s. Dennis, for the stomp, I do thi following:

- turn the key to accesories (position 1)
- pause for a bit (kind of a preparation for the daring deed)
- turn the ignition on (position 2)
- pause for a brief moment, like "one-thou..."
- quickly and evenly step down-up five times within about 2 seconds

It is definitely an even, methodical "down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up", and not a "down-pause-up-pause..." or "down-up-pause..." etc...

Cheers,
Duey

doogie
11-17-2004, 05:36 AM
I need to dig out the web page that tells me where to wire a bulb in since I have an '89 e34 which doesn't have a check engine light at all so I can't do any sort of stomp test.