PDA

View Full Version : Free maintenance on new Bimmers??

CrimsonBrian
11-15-2004, 06:44 PM
I saw the commercial on the tube the other day about the free maintenance for the first four years or 50k, including stuff like brakes (which are expensive!) It might be time to upgrade to that new 530i I have been eyeing... Any ideas why they would do this? I would imagine its because they figure that the new models are so well made, they will not lose any money. Sounds like a decent deal to me...

Brian

Free brakes!! (http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templates/Common/Generic6Panel.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fvehicles%2f5%2f530iSedan%2fdiffer ence%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b92F25E46-4A67-400B-B4FD-F7A97D659CF4%7d&NRCACHEHINT=Guest)

winfred
11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
yea but now all fluids but engine oil are now "lifetime', hmmmm didn't they come out about the same time?! free mantenance and lifetime fluid and insult to injury the oil change interville went up to around 15k, so that's only like 3-4 oil changes

I saw the commercial on the tube the other day about the free maintenance for the first four years or 50k, including stuff like brakes (which are expensive!) It might be time to upgrade to that new 530i I have been eyeing... Any ideas why they would do this? I would imagine its because they figure that the new models are so well made, they will not lose any money. Sounds like a decent deal to me...

Brian

Free brakes!! (http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templates/Common/Generic6Panel.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fvehicles%2f5%2f530iSedan%2fdiffer ence%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b92F25E46-4A67-400B-B4FD-F7A97D659CF4%7d&NRCACHEHINT=Guest)

Martin in Bellevue
11-15-2004, 11:25 PM
They didn't think the pulling, squealing, & huge lip on the rotors meant the brakes were shot. This was at about 20,000 miles & well within warranty.

I am happier with the x5, now that it is off warranty; at least as long as the gearbox holds up. I don't enjoy working on it much, but wrenching it is much better than eating **** from the local dealer.

emw525E34
11-16-2004, 03:17 AM
I have a feeling, due to competitive pressure, BMW had to do this. In other parts of the world, such extended warranty usually costs money. Lately, they have "added" it into the finance package, if you take finance from their accredited banks for the loan. I guess the consumers pay in the end anyways. It is good though to have longer warranties and especially good to have local dealers who can provide decent service. The local part of this deal seems to be the weakest!.

CrimsonBrian
11-16-2004, 11:22 AM
I guess I never even thought that I would have to haggle with the dealer to get obvious problems fixed. Although, I figure even if I have to yell for two hours, I still save money on a $700 brake job.

JonE
11-16-2004, 12:00 PM
My wife's Mini Cooper has this warranty plan, she bought the car with less than 5K on it and we've taken advantage of the warranty stuff a couple of times already. I have to admit it sure is nice having stuff done on a car, for a change. Winfred is right, oil change interval is longer, but it is synthetic. We had a few rattles, squeaks, oil/filter changed, brake fluid flushed, steering assembly replaced, alignment done, fluids topped up, and the car is clean when they're done. I also like the fancy coffees they serve in the waiting room, not to mention the free loaner vehicle they gave me while the steering assembly was replaced (don't like the Nissan Exterra though). Nothing like a little peace of mind for one of the cars anyway!

shragon
11-16-2004, 12:59 PM
my father bought a 2001 525i new. it had the free maintenance.