PDA

View Full Version : $3200 for a performance M30 short block?

Jeff N.
11-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Trying to do a bit of the math to see if this is a reasonable deal. End result is a 3.7l 10:1 balanced short block.

Here's my quick math with menu prices off the top of my head - how does this shake out?

Wiseco 10:1 pistons with Malhe rings ~ $1000 - $1100
Rebuilt Rods including new bushes ~ $450
Dip and pressure test the block ~$150
Magnaflux and polish crank ~$150
Overbore and hone block ~ $200 ?
Misc bearings and bolts ~ $200
Assembly and balance ~ $300
New oil pump ~ $175
Gaskets and seals ~ $50

Sooo...that's about $2625 or thereabouts. Seems like that's what I could do the job for if I piecemeal the work out. Feels like I have about a $600 premium for delivering the engine to this guy and having him call me to say "It's done". He has a good reputation. I like the idea of having one guy deal with it all and having solid experience with these motors vs. the local machine shop.

Thoughts anyone?

Jeff

632 Regal
11-15-2004, 06:17 PM
be applied to the cylinders after honing?

Robin-535im
11-15-2004, 06:59 PM
If it were me, I'd do the work myself just for fun.

Sounds like a blast - drinking beer in the garage putting together a shiny new engine. You can take the time to make sure it's all torqued and polished just right, and know exactly what was done and why.

Plus - I still think if you video it all you can sell the video CD to the rest of us knuckleheads for $50 a pop when our engines go south.

bahnstormer
11-15-2004, 07:36 PM
hahah

are u talking about metric mechanic?
or a local guy?

also what's the point of all these mods?
are u trying to get more power? how much
power can u expect from these?

depending on the motor you may need to upgrade
the injectors, the computer, and many other things
like the diff and tranny...why not take that 3200 and
put away for a turbo?

Martin in Bellevue
11-15-2004, 08:30 PM
There is plenty o' smoke.

Jeff N.
11-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Assembley tolerances are in the .001 area... I don't think I can get it right. Too much cash and sweat equity at stake. Wanna fly up and help us stuff it in? I have about 400,000 Alaska Air miles in the bank..I'm sure that has to cover a ticket from NM. :)

Jeff

If it were me, I'd do the work myself just for fun.

Sounds like a blast - drinking beer in the garage putting together a shiny new engine. You can take the time to make sure it's all torqued and polished just right, and know exactly what was done and why.

Plus - I still think if you video it all you can sell the video CD to the rest of us knuckleheads for $50 a pop when our engines go south.

Robin-535im
11-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Assembley tolerances are in the .001 area... I don't think I can get it right. Too much cash and sweat equity at stake. Wanna fly up and help us stuff it in? I have about 400,000 Alaska Air miles in the bank..I'm sure that has to cover a ticket from NM. :)

Jeff

You know, we've been thinking about cities to move to and Bellevue is actually high on the list.

If I could spin it right... and line up a babysitter for a week... I'd have to find something for her to do to... do they have week-long whale watching cruizes this time of year?

Tell you what. You and Martin and your families can drive down to Phoenix for the holidays with the parts in the trunk. I'll drive out there to meet up, and if we get stuck on something, we can call up Bill in Tucson for advice. Wives and kids can enjoy the city together, and in a week we'll have that new engine back in your car and you ready to zip home. Phoenix in the winter is an easy sell.