PDA

View Full Version : God help me I'm thinking about a Mustang

PatrickPGH
11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Saw a brand new Mustang in a parking garage over the weekend. This is the first new car in quite some time that is talking to that little voice in my head. The one that says ignore your bills and the huge amount of snow that is coming and buy this car now.

Is anyone else equally in love with this car? Or have I been inhaling gasoline fumes again?

Patrick

Craig
11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
As a former Mustang owner, I can say that Ford appears to have finally gotten the car done right. However, I'd wait as the dealers no doubt are jacking up the price quite a bit. Maybe get an early '06 next summer or at least a later '05 in the Spring.

First year models are always plagued with issues it seems.

George Davis
11-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I had a '96 Mustang GT for a while, 17 inch wheels, it was fast and pretty nice except...it rode like a rock and road noise was amazingly bad. After a while I just couldn't take it any more. OK, I'm middle aged and younger fellers might not mind the ride, but still, the 525i is SO much nicer. I do like the new design and Ford finally improved the rear suspension a little bit, but I'm not running to a Ford dealer any time soon.

silverz06vette
11-15-2004, 07:32 PM
You might be able to get a used 01 Z06 for the price of a new GT or cobra. :)

DueyT
11-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Patrick, at least Ford got the Mustang right...how'd you like to own an older Charger and see the piece of crap, 4-door Magnum sedan they're going to call Charger? Oye! :(

Duey

Brian C.
11-15-2004, 09:04 PM
I went to the Auto Show in Miami Beach this past weekend and the Mustang was getting a lot of lustful looks from most every 30-50ish guy who walked past. It is very nice looking. Very clean lines with no extra crap hanging down to break off on speed bumps. I guess they used the '67 as a retro model and did a nice job. Relatively cheap too. Stock was about $23k and the GT was about $30k. I'd think that your best bet would be to go to Hertz or Avis or whatever. They'll have tons of them as rentals real soon.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./DSC00505.jpg

I kinda like this little retro-Bronco. Like a Hummer's studly little brother. Very much reminiscent of the "original" Bronco from around '74 or so.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./DSC00507.jpg

It had the look of being carved out of a solid block of aluminum. It was silver paint, but I though it would look very cool if it was all a brushed nickle metallic looking finish. I wouldn't want to replace those tires anytime soon. ($$$)

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./DSC00506.jpg

Funny though.....with all the different models, Bimmers, Benz's, and Bentley's oh my......I still thought that this baby was the prettiest one I saw.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./DSC00531.jpg

Just something about a 911...........

Brian C.
;)
...and then I woke up!

632 Regal
11-15-2004, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Brian C.][center]I went to the Auto Show in Miami Beach this past weekend and the Mustang was getting a lot of lustful looks from most every 30-50ish guy who walked past. It is very nice looking. Very clean lines with no extra crap hanging down to break off on speed bumps. I guess they used the '67 as a retro model and did a nice job. Relatively cheap too. Stock was about $23k and the GT was about $30k. I'd think that your best bet would be to go to Hertz or Avis or whatever. They'll have tons of them as rentals real soon.

1000_eyez
11-15-2004, 09:21 PM
yeah the new fastback looking mustangs are nice...I sold my 66 V8 mustang to buy the 89 535i I have now LOL :D

CrimsonBrian
11-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Funny though.....with all the different models, Bimmers, Benz's, and Bentley's oh my......I still thought that this baby was the prettiest one I saw.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./DSC00531.jpg

Just something about a 911...........

...and then I woke up!

I could not agree more! I would absolutely die if I ever had the chance to own a 911. They are about as impractical as you can get, but damn thats a sweet car. I need to start playing the lottery...

632 Regal
11-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I could not agree more! I would absolutely die if I ever had the chance to own a 911. They are about as impractical as you can get, but damn thats a sweet car. I need to start playing the lottery...

BCOOK2
11-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Have We Forgotten About The Bmw? Find A Ford Chat Site And Chat It Out.

Russell
11-16-2004, 12:48 AM
This was the "large valve" boss 302/351 style 4 barrel engine with an automatic, 3.0 diff with posi-traction, air conditioning, stereo with 8 track, black deluxe interior with wood trim, competition suspension, front air dam, no paint stripes, medium metallic blue exterior, painted 15 inch wheels with "dog dish" hub caps and wide radial tires Would run low 14s in a quarter, top end around 140 and 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds. Cornered fairly well.

Loved it! Rust, high compression 11:1 with limited preminum fuel availability and 8 mpg in town made me get rid of it for my first BMW, a new 1976 Jade green 2002 4 speed, ac, w sunroof which I drove daily for 15 years utill I bought a well used 83 e28 5 speed 528e in 1991. I bought my 95 e-34 in 2003.

BTW, the e28 was the cheapest car to own/maintain I have ever had. The e34 cost a bunch more to own/maintain. I think my standards are higher as well :). I suspect the e39 and e60 would be even more expensive to own and maintain!

Saw a brand new Mustang in a parking garage over the weekend. This is the first new car in quite some time that is talking to that little voice in my head. The one that says ignore your bills and the huge amount of snow that is coming and buy this car now.

Is anyone else equally in love with this car? Or have I been inhaling gasoline fumes again?

Patrick

PatrickPGH
11-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm hoping to get another year or two out of my 530 with about $1500.00 in parts and much, much more in wrenching time before moving on.

You're right about the first year issues, maybe even be able to pick up a relatively new, fully loaded GT that someone couldn't make the payments on for a nice discount.

I've also been looking at 99-2000 528i s. Saw one in the paper for $16,900; 5 speed, black on black, xenons. But the articles coming from Consumer Reports et al about the declining reliability of European cars is making me nervous about staying within the BMW family. Anyway, this is all in a year or two, save for an accident.

Patrick
fix it till it's broke...

As a former Mustang owner, I can say that Ford appears to have finally gotten the car done right. However, I'd wait as the dealers no doubt are jacking up the price quite a bit. Maybe get an early '06 next summer or at least a later '05 in the Spring.

First year models are always plagued with issues it seems.

Bruno
11-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Have We Forgotten About The Bmw? Find A Ford Chat Site And Chat It Out.

C'mon lighten up, we all are car guys and I haveto admit that for once Ford didn't do a crappy looking car.

It looks sexy, and the way BMW reliability is going down the drain...

Kamil
11-16-2004, 07:06 PM
A friend of mine got a '04 Carrera 40th anniversary edition. Sometime after that we went to a Porsche concours event. Some pics... I love the 997 BTW. :)
...one day, maybe.
http://www.kamilphoto.com/albums/album01/DSC_0165.sized.jpg

3.6L turbo (one of my fav's)
http://www.kamilphoto.com/albums/album01/DSC_0170.sized.jpg

Go here to see the rest of the pics:
http://www.kamilphoto.com/gallery/album01

My all-time favorite Porsche was missing tho, an early '90's RS America. :)

Kamil
11-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Oh yea, the new Mustang... I dunno, it's like the Infinity G35 Coupe; it looks very pretty but only from certain angles. :)

The Mustang still needs to have a few things polished up, and I don't know wthe they were thinking w/ regards to the interior, it sucked in the '60's, so why would it be any bettwr now? They should have went with the present tense on the interior.
...and LIVE AXLE!!!???? WTF!!!????

On the other hand, I love the C6 Corvette, Ford should have taken some clues from them. :)

scott540
11-16-2004, 07:14 PM
I was watching motor trend last night and they were showing the new carrera. Just beautiful.

Brian C.
11-16-2004, 09:19 PM
...although it didn't thrill too many people that I noticed.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./DSC00528.jpg

Until they saw the price tag that is! I don't really know anything about it, but if I was going to pay $440k for a car, I'd want Cami Diaz and a house in Malibu to come with it! :p

Brian C.
:D

Mobius
11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Saw a brand new Mustang in a parking garage over the weekend. This is the first new car in quite some time that is talking to that little voice in my head. The one that says ignore your bills and the huge amount of snow that is coming and buy this car now.Don't worry - that will all disappear when you see how fantastically shitty the interior is.

winfred
11-16-2004, 09:59 PM
i pay that kinda money i want to roll the bitch around in a cart infront of me blowing me all day

but if I was going to pay $440k for a car, I'd want Cami Diaz and a house in Malibu to come with it! :p

Brian C.
:D [/center]

Incantation
11-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Craig.. how are you getting 282 RWHP? Please tell me your secret.. I need more power out of my engine...

Craig
11-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Craig.. how are you getting 282 RWHP? Please tell me your secret.. I need more power out of my engine...

:D

http://www.535i.net/random/BMW/turbo/DSCN1338.JPG

There should be a thread on here about it if you search for my name and turbo.

Sweetwater
11-17-2004, 09:48 AM
College car = 1966 Mustang, V8 - 289 cid - 3 spd on the floor, Michelin radials, gas shocks, folding bucket seats, painted it Mercedes beige to prevent the rusting but the paint was not thinned enough so it had a bit of a rough finish. One of the least expensive cars I've owned with some nice performance and fun times in it.

Those were the days - until the friggin gas prices went to a buck and you couldn't buy gas on Sundays out West. But that's the best time to be in college because everybody was poor as **** anyway. Ever notice how people tend to treat each other much better when everything's in the shitter?

You think this interior is shitty? Is it all made of metal like the '66....BTW, my dash never cracked and I sold the car for the same price I bought it after 5 years of good times.

PatrickPGH
11-17-2004, 10:19 AM
I believe the Cobra version comes with an independent rear suspension. The live axle does make for some wheel spinning fun though ;)

I agree about the G35 coupe. Higher horsepower 350Z with a rear seat/cargo area is attractive though.

Oh yea, the new Mustang... I dunno, it's like the Infinity G35 Coupe; it looks very pretty but only from certain angles. :)

The Mustang still needs to have a few things polished up, and I don't know wthe they were thinking w/ regards to the interior, it sucked in the '60's, so why would it be any bettwr now? They should have went with the present tense on the interior.
...and LIVE AXLE!!!???? WTF!!!????

On the other hand, I love the C6 Corvette, Ford should have taken some clues from them. :)

Craig
11-17-2004, 11:05 AM
The live axle is not as bad as most people think, this time at least. They are using a three link rather than the old "quadra-link" they had on the previous generation.

A live axle and less sophisticated interior keeps the costs down- how many 300hp BMWs (or any other brand) can you buy brand new for $24,995? ;)