PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a CDX M30...

Dan in NZ
11-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Got it from an online auction, only NZD$50 (=usd$30). I have the old Alpine infra-red slot, which is only compatible with impossible to find archaic changers, hence the cdx m30. I now just need to get either a Alpine CM5901, or Pioneer KE91zbm, and wire in the radio herness connecter, fit the data cable (I'm not pre-wired).... Then it should work! A wrecker should be able to supply the head unit, data cable, and harness.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Alpine CM5901 or Pioneer KE91zbm? It seems there are a lot of CM5901's around.

The bmw-pio adapter could be the only hitch, I know they are available in the USA, but not sure about here.

Can I wire power for the cd changer by splicing the power for the antenna adapter???

winfred
11-13-2004, 11:05 PM
i like the pioneer's sound quality better, if the ke91 is the one i think it is the cdx-m30 data cable plugs right into the radio with no adaptor, i can't find a pic on the web so ill take one tomorrow of mine to see if it's the one you're thinking about

Jr ///M5
11-14-2004, 09:39 AM
The KE-83 is a plug and play with the CDX-M30. You will need to run the 13 pin cable back to the trunk, unless of course it's prewired...=)

Jr

Dan in NZ
11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
What's a KE-83??? If that's the one that was in 89-91ish E30's, I don't want it. I'm assuming it's plug'n'play with a cdx-m30 cable, since the bmw cable doesn't fit the changer. Hopefully Winfred is right abut the cdx-m30 cable plugging straight into the ke91, because that would be great. Of course I don't have any cd changer cable at all, but it seems the only way I could get a bmw-pio adapter is to have one sent over from the usa.

winfred
11-14-2004, 08:34 PM
the cdx-m30 and cdx-m6 plug right into this bmw radio with the supplyed cable (like my 90 325ism and mom's 90 325isa)
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/325%20radio.JPG
this radio needs the bmw data cable and the changer end of the data cable needs a adaptor (i am running a cdx-091 which is a factory bmw/pioneer changer that is plug and play)
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/535%20radio.JPG

Jr ///M5
11-14-2004, 09:10 PM
The KE-83 is the one in the first picture that Winfred posted. You will not need an adapter to make the CDX-M30 work.

Look behind the left wheel cover in your trunk and see if you have a factory amplifier connected to your system. It will be mounted near the top on the inside of the left fender. My old 535 had one and the CDX-M30 sounded great through the stock 10 speaker system. Good luck with your installation, there used to be a website that Gordon had that showed a route for the 13 pin cable. While you are installing the cable, you can pick up a hot wire from your battery area or relay area under the rear seat. I just tapped into the hot wire for the trunk lights when I installed the changer in the 535.

Good luck with it, it's going to sound great!

Jr

winfred
11-14-2004, 09:22 PM
but the stock bmw cable won't plug into the cdx-m30 without a adaptor, however the cdx-m30 cable will plug into the early radio

The KE-83 is the one in the first picture that Winfred posted. You will not need an adapter to make the CDX-M30 work.

Look behind the left wheel cover in your trunk and see if you have a factory amplifier connected to your system. It will be mounted near the top on the inside of the left fender. My old 535 had one and the CDX-M30 sounded great through the stock 10 speaker system. Good luck with your installation, there used to be a website that Gordon had that showed a route for the 13 pin cable. While you are installing the cable, you can pick up a hot wire from your battery area or relay area under the rear seat. I just tapped into the hot wire for the trunk lights when I installed the changer in the 535.

Good luck with it, it's going to sound great!

Jr

Dan in NZ
11-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm. I don't want the early radio, I like the later Pioneer one much more. Looks like I need a radio and bmw cable from a wrecker (shouldn't be hard), and a bmwpio adapter..... Finding the adapter will be very hard. I see the usa based manufactures do overseas shipping, for a price, getting the adapter would end up costing a lot more than the cd changer. I wonder if the pioneer plugs are available, and if I could just cut (!) the bmw cable off, then solder on the pioneer one.

I don't have an amp in my trunk, I have the other system... Dash mid-range, kick panel bass-driver, and parcel shelf speakers, no door tweeters. From the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, I see that in this system the speakers are wired directly to the head unit.

I'm going to be an expert solderer by the time I've soldered in the radio harness, and possibly a plug onto the bmw data cable...

Time to call a wrecker and have a radio and cable sent down...

Dan in NZ
11-15-2004, 11:49 PM
I just got an e-mail back from a wrecker..... NZD$175 + tax for a CM5901, $30 for a changer cable, and $20 for the radio connector..... He can't be serious! The cd changer only cost $50

uscharalph
05-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I have the KE-83. The first owner had a Kenwood KCA-603 hooked up thru an FM modulator, with the little controller placed in the ash tray. Currently the cd changer is experiencing problems with disc recognition. I'm pretty sure it needs to be cleaned and aligned at probably a cost of about $100-150. So according to this thread, I can hook up a CDX-M30 or CDX-M6 changer to it, gaining back my ash tray. Also, does anyone have the manual for this headunit? I've been trying to locate one.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2005, 04:21 PM
The original BMW control/data cable running from the head unit to the trunk won't hook up the the CDX-M30.

You will need the one that comes with the CDX-M30. Make sure you get this cable with the CDX, or you will go nuts sorting it out.

This is the biggest trick to getting the whole thing working , the KE-83 will accept the CDX-M30 only with the CDX's data cable running into the back of the KE-83 from the CDX.

I did this last year, and it worked without a hitch.

JonE
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi Ralph,
If your head unit is just like the first pic in Winfred's post above, then a CDX-M30 changer will likely work, with a CDX-M30 data cable. It won't work with a factory installed BMW CD changer cable. Ask me how I know...Well, I bought one on Ebay with no cable thinking that my factory cable would work, it didn't fit right, rectangular plug vs. round plug. Anyway, I bought a cd changer that did fit CDX-M61 with the factory cable and all is well. In the meantime I found a cable to purchase for the CDX-M30, tested it out and it also works. So, now I have an extra CD changer (the CDX-M30) for back-up or for sale.

uscharalph
05-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Does the CDX-M30 get its power from the data cable or is the the 3-pin have to be wired? I'm sorting out options, but I might be interested in your spare CDX-M30

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Most of them are pre wired for all kinds of toys. Look for the stickers on the trunk lid arm.

The upper left hand back corner as you face the trunk opening, should have the factory Data cable (no good for CDX-M30) and the two wire power supply for the CD changer (fits the CDX-M30).

JonE
05-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, as Bob pointed out, if you have the factory CD wiring it will include a power cable that somehow will fit the power plug for the CDX-m30. Otherwise you'll just have to track down a 12v power source and wire that to the changer.

uscharalph
08-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Wow! A couple months later and the CDX-M30 is installed. What a great improvement over the Kenwood CD changer through an FM modulator the original owner had installed.

winfred
08-02-2005, 08:26 AM
yea with a modulator your sound is only as good as the tuner and the connections to it

Wow! A couple months later and the CDX-M30 is installed. What a great improvement over the Kenwood CD changer through an FM modulator the original owner had installed.