PDA

View Full Version : Question about Strut Housings...and removing the rear seat backs

Kalevera
11-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi everyone.

Well, I'm still rebuilding this neglected 1990 535i (8/89 build date).

When I removed the strut housings, springs, and shocks, I discovered that the shocks were dead (figured that would be the case), and the strut housing caps (or whatever you call the thing that keeps the strut insert inside the housing) on both sides had stripped threading everywhere and were completely loose.

I'm going to replace the strut housings completely...My question is: can I use ANY e34 strut housing, or do I have to get a specific year/part number?

Second question: I'm not sure how to remove the seat backs to get at the rear strut towers. Haven't seen anything on this on Bruno's site...any advice?

thanks...thanks very much...

lowell

MicahO
11-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi everyone.

Well, I'm still rebuilding this neglected 1990 535i (8/89 build date).

When I removed the strut housings, springs, and shocks, I discovered that the shocks were dead (figured that would be the case), and the strut housing caps (or whatever you call the thing that keeps the strut insert inside the housing) on both sides had stripped threading everywhere and were completely loose.

I'm going to replace the strut housings completely...My question is: can I use ANY e34 strut housing, or do I have to get a specific year/part number?

Second question: I'm not sure how to remove the seat backs to get at the rear strut towers. Haven't seen anything on this on Bruno's site...any advice?

thanks...thanks very much...

lowell

I know the strut inserts changed from year to year and car to car, though I'm quite sure the change was only the top mount and the strut rod. The 535 had the same strut and insert throughout, so if you stick with a 535 of any vintage, you'll be okay. Winfred here in the forum can get you good used parts like that, he helped me out with a complete trailing arm set once upon a moon.

The back seat comes out pretty easy - when the bottom (where your butt goes) is off, there are a bunch of screws across the bottom of the seat-back. Remove the plastic covers that feed the seatbelts over the seatback (they are old and brittle at this point, do this when they are warm), and IIRC the seatback will lift up and away when the screws at the bottom are taken out. If I'm remembering wrong, someone please correct me!

You will probably not NEED new top mounts (bearings) at the front, but may want to replace them anyhow. You will need them at the back. Stick with Lemforder here, there have been many folks who've had to do the rear again and again after low-quality top mounts failed.

The Bentley book will be an invaluable investment if you don't already have it! Also, print out everything from www.bmwe34.net that pertains to the days work.

mikemaster
11-13-2004, 09:07 AM
The back of the seat is really easy to take out. Just 4 plastic nuts to remove, then the seatbelt guides, then push up.

Kalevera
11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes, I've printed everything out on Bruno's site. Still haven't gotten the Bentley manual, but it's on the way. Shortly after posting, I ran into the procedure for removing the seatback on Bruno's site, so that's good. Still not sure if there's a difference in struthousings between the years.

lowell