PDA

View Full Version : R134a Conversion - what's involved? Links?

Adnan
11-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi,

Had the 535's system evacuated as a prelude to replacing the pressure switch and found that only 1.5 pounds of R12 came out, in a system of over 4 pounds capacity.

Maybe this is a good time to switch over to R134a. Is there a faq that explains what items need to be replaced? Will I also need a different pressure switch and so should return the one I just bought?

Any ideas why I lost so much R12 over a six year span? Normal?

Input most welcome.

Thanks,
Adnan

Bill R.
11-13-2004, 01:22 AM
normal leakage. Heres the document and the parts numbers for a conversion kit from bmw (http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/r12retrofit.pdf)

On my own car i would use freeze12 though. its 9.95 a can and is compatible with the existing seals and oil in the system, no changeover needed other than empyting all the r12 out and changing fittings to identify the type of refrigerant you'll be using.

Hi,

Had the 535's system evacuated as a prelude to replacing the pressure switch and found that only 1.5 pounds of R12 came out, in a system of over 4 pounds capacity.

Maybe this is a good time to switch over to R134a. Is there a faq that explains what items need to be replaced? Will I also need a different pressure switch and so should return the one I just bought?

Any ideas why I lost so much R12 over a six year span? Normal?

Input most welcome.

Thanks,
Adnan

Adnan
11-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Hi Bill,

Thanks a bunch. I'll look into this freeze12 suggestion, as it sounds pretty good.

BTW, I had the thrust arms retorqued at load height.

Regards,
Adnan