PDA

View Full Version : What's in oil additives (ie Duralube or Slick 50)

chapmanw
11-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys know what's in those oil additives. In addition, their effects on the engine.

I took an auto class where the instructor praised the benefits of Duralube. He said they used to tear down motors that used the stuff and there was no wear. I'm just too afraid to pour that stuff in my e34. I have also heard that it may thin out the oil so it won't lubricate.

any thoughts guys?

thanks,

Bill R.
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
from the ftc regarding duralube
Check here
(http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/05/duralub2.htm)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys know what's in those oil additives. In addition, their effects on the engine.

I took an auto class where the instructor praised the benefits of Duralube. He said they used to tear down motors that used the stuff and there was no wear. I'm just too afraid to pour that stuff in my e34. I have also heard that it may thin out the oil so it won't lubricate.

any thoughts guys?

thanks,

Hector
11-12-2004, 05:42 PM
of a garage with another clown used to sell this stuff called Petromoly. They would used this stuff in their race cars. They advertised the product with the typical before and after pictures, and the fast-talking sell's pitch to convince people to buy into it. The after pics were impressive. The before pic was the usual image of a piston top loaded with carbon deposits. The after image was the piston top, mirror-like cleaned, after a while of usage. At the time I was a bit gullible and bought into the stuff, and sure enough it cleaned the piston tops along with everything else of my Honda civic engine. About 3 weeks later, the car severely begins to smoke as a result of the super cleaned cylinders, as my guess. Learned a lesson and haven't bought additives since.

chapmanw
11-12-2004, 07:00 PM
good link. i'm not putting that stuff in anything

from the ftc regarding duralube
Check here
(http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/05/duralub2.htm)

632 Regal
11-12-2004, 07:18 PM
smoke and mirrors...some of that stuff used to gum up the small oil galleys and starve the engine of oil resulting in catastrophic failures. Synthetic oil is the only alternative to conventional oil and cant be beaten as of yet with or without additives. I drove my first Ex wifes truck with 40k on 5w30 (ex wife, I wasnt changin it) mobile because it overheated, cracked head all the way home for repairs, over 40 miles with NO water (wouldnt hold it) The exhaust manifolds cooled to be a shade of purple, all the hoses and wires burnt after it was shut off, starter fried etc etc. Replaced the head and not a tick or anything, no rodknock. I was completely convinced at that point in my life that you simply cant beat synthetic oil.

blah blah blah.

Anton CH.
11-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Yup, go only with synthetic. 1000 miles since I switched to Mobil 1 and the hydrolic tappet noise that used to show up in the mornings is now gone.