PDA

View Full Version : Anything to look out for on a 91 525 ?

Torque
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Well, my dad is most likely going to pick up a 91 525i (m50b25) that he's had his eyes set on for a few weeks now...

i havent seen the car yet, but he says it looks great in and out and that it needs no work... he's a mechanic so i believe him -- even though i tend to not believe anyone when it comes to cars.

so my question to you guys: is there anything in particular to look out for ? i already know about thrust arms, sway bar links and all that suspension stuff from personal experience :D

632 Regal
11-11-2004, 09:35 PM
do your sig pic with the air cond. on and the lights will be brighter. LOL basics are what is needed when buying a used car BMW or likewise. you know the basics on thrust arms and stuff, and if it runs well you should be OK if you replace wearing parts. We are here for you when you have problems you havent experienced before.

Torque
11-11-2004, 09:39 PM
i know that it all comes down to basics, but i was just wondering if there is anything in particular such as the plastic impeller on the water pump of m20s and such.

thanks for your reply :)

btw. how does air con. make lights brighter ?

632 Regal
11-11-2004, 10:33 PM
no one knows who replaced the water pump, if it was replaced, or what was put back in. Its all maintenance with these, do them and you wont be seen on the side of the road in a BMW.

Dick Schneiders
11-11-2004, 11:33 PM
unless it was already replaced with one with a metal one - no way to tell. If the car still has the original plastic thermostat housing, then you should replace it with a metal one - very inexpensive and easy to do. Other than that, the typical front end stuff that you mentioned is about it. There are several sensors - coolant, oil pressure, oil level, etc. that tend to go bad over time, but they aren't crucial or much of a problem. The auto tranny can be a big issue, if not maintained properly, but then it can also go for several hundred thousand miles too.

Great car with a bullet proof engine. I had two of these until yesterday when I traded one off on a 1999 740i. I already miss the 1991 525i, but I think the 740i will eventually win me over. :-)

i know that it all comes down to basics, but i was just wondering if there is anything in particular such as the plastic impeller on the water pump of m20s and such.

thanks for your reply :)

btw. how does air con. make lights brighter ?

Torque
11-12-2004, 06:34 AM
the car has 110k miles and from what we know it's been maintained very well. will post pics later today.

thx for reply

Mr Project
11-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Hey, you bought the 740i! Congrats! I really want to drive one of those some time...maybe I'll call next time I'm in KS. :)

JonE
11-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey Dick,
Will you have pics to show off the 740? Good luck with the "big one"!

Dick Schneiders
11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
However, it really doesn't have any special cosmetic features on it, not even wheels-at least, not yet. It is a plain jane, oxford green 740i, though in mint condition.

I could take a close-up picture of the headlight washer jets - those are something I don't see every day. :-)

Hey Dick,
Will you have pics to show off the 740? Good luck with the "big one"!

Dick Schneiders
11-12-2004, 11:31 AM
It is for my wife, and she has taken to it in a big way. I might have to drive it during the night when she is asleep. It is a fast car, much qucker than I would have ever imagined for a big beast. I would have preferred the sport for the beefed up suspension, but this one handles really well already.

Hey, you bought the 740i! Congrats! I really want to drive one of those some time...maybe I'll call next time I'm in KS. :)