PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel alignment - 89 535

pomko
11-11-2004, 12:24 PM
I previously asked about excessive wear on the inside of the right rear tire (255/40 ZR17) and whether the alignment can be adjusted. The answer was no.
The wheel is toed out rather than in. Could worn Pitman arms be the cause?
Thanks
Roman

Mobius
11-11-2004, 10:40 PM
There is no adjustment whatsoever for rear alignment on the E34 - with the exception of the M5.

If your rear toe is out of spec, the car has either been in a wreck and was not repaired properly, or you have some trailing arm bushings that are in severe need of replacement.

It's possible a previous owner installed adjustable trailing arm bushings, and they've since been knocked out of spec.

moots
11-11-2004, 10:47 PM
If toe in/out alignment,then not adjustable.If camber too -ve,possibility worn pitman arms(track control arms) the cause,allowing too much -ve camber at heavy loads.

Asamaan
11-11-2004, 11:48 PM
I have replaced both pitman arms(dog bones), but didn't fix my problem. This causes tire wear for me and then the shakes. Would just replacing the trailing arm bushing take care of it, or do I need to get the adjustables ones. Or if I buy bruno's Subframe Delrin inserts that would somehow fix the problem. I have been looking for the answer for while and haven't gotten a solution yet. I have bought a set of trailing arm bushings but haven't installed them yet. Also as mentioned this problem is only the rear right tire the left side alighnment is fine.

Thanks
Al
91 535iA 125K

Bill R.
11-12-2004, 12:01 AM
toe settings.

I previously asked about excessive wear on the inside of the right rear tire (255/40 ZR17) and whether the alignment can be adjusted. The answer was no.
The wheel is toed out rather than in. Could worn Pitman arms be the cause?
Thanks
Roman