PDA

View Full Version : 540i Air Induction Kit

kentish
11-11-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi to everyone,

Whats the best mod for air induction for the 540i? K&N

I think dinan sells a direct air induction kit? Is it worth it or can it be done DIY.

Or should I stay with the stock air filter?

Kentish
540iA 1994

632 Regal
11-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I would stay with the stock unit, it already is cold air induction and very low restriction. The K&N lets in way too much dirt and heat which will make the car slower but the new noise when you stop on it will be cool.

wengenstein
11-11-2004, 01:22 PM
The only thing related to induction you'll find from Dinan for your 540i is a supercharger.

I think dinan sells a direct air induction kit? Is it worth it or can it be done DIY.

632 Regal
11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Zooooooooom

:D

wengenstein
11-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Ignoring the cost? I'd say nothing :)

632 Regal
11-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Ignoring the cost? I'd say nothing :)

mholbrook
11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Dinan used to make an air box piece that looks like a stovepipe about six inches long with a flair on one end that replaces the "silencer" in the stock air box. It does give the motor a chance to roar a little bit, picks up air from the same cold air location behind the headlight and increases the intake "bore" size from about 2" to 3 1/2". I have one that I'm currently using on my 535 with some modification that I used on my previous 5er. Cost is about 60 bucks from your local Dinan BMW Dealer. I think the Dinan claim was it was good for about 2 hp or less. You could make practically the same thing from a piece of large PVC tubing from Home Depot for about a buck. Certainly not worth the 60 or more you will pay. I also tried the BAV Auto "tube" and while it made a lot of nice noise, I don't think it made any more HP. I have one of those tubes for my 535 and without a shield, it makes noticeably less HP once engine is up to temp. Someday I'm going to gin up some sort of shield and try it again but for now, I'm using a stock air box with the Dinan stovepipe intake attached and silencer removed with stock filter. Works fine for me.

wengenstein
11-12-2004, 05:40 PM
I remember that! :D I was reminded by it again when I first saw this thread. I immediatly went to Dinan's website and tried to look it up but apparently they don't sell them anymore. I almost bought one a while back. :)

Dinan used to make an air box piece that looks like a stovepipe

632 Regal
11-12-2004, 07:20 PM
flows more air or at least with less turbulance than the straight stovepipe resul;ting in NO gains for some glorified Dinan points, that badge costs a LOT of points!