PDA

View Full Version : Is VW Esso semi-synthetic "lifetime" ATF the same as

Dick Schneiders
11-10-2004, 10:45 PM
the Esso LT71141 used in the BMW "lifetime" auto transmissions? I am going to buy a 1999 740i tomorrow and want to drop the tranny pan and replace the fluid and filter. It uses the Esso LT71141 fluid that is so expensive at BMW dealers, but I have heard rumors that the same fluid can be purchased at VW dealers for less than half the price. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that is what I have heard.

Also, is there any way to get the fluid out of the torque converters of these 5HP24 ZF transmissions? The GM trannys on my 525i's have a separate fluid pan for the converter and so I can get more of the fluid out by dropping both pans. There is about 3.5 liters of fluid in the torque converter and I would like to replace all of the fluid. Probably isn't all that important as getting the filter changed and any metal shavings out of the pan magnets, but if possible I would like to do it.

I think that the E34 540's have the same issues, so hopefully somebody here will have some suggestions for me. Buying a bimmer from an entirely different era and platform is a bit scary to me, as I was just getting used to the issues on my 525i's.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 10:52 PM
lets look at the fluid differences...
http://www.zf-group.com/pdf/OilReferenceGuide.pdf

OK 71141 would equate to 71141 in whatever it goes into.

I would just drain what comes out (appx 4 qts) and refill a couple times and then change the filter, or at least 1 cycle before changing the filter to get the trans acclimated to the fresh fluid. Save the shock syndrome that kills them.

my 2¢

Tiger
11-11-2004, 09:50 AM
It appears to be so that VW Esso and BMW Esso is same thing... According to a simple search on Yahoo. I am getting a bit lazy at reading in full... Look like you are gettin a dang nice E38!

charlie
11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
the Esso LT71141 used in the BMW "lifetime" auto transmissions? I am going to buy a 1999 740i tomorrow and want to drop the tranny pan and replace the fluid and filter. It uses the Esso LT71141 fluid that is so expensive at BMW dealers, but I have heard rumors that the same fluid can be purchased at VW dealers for less than half the price. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that is what I have heard.

Also, is there any way to get the fluid out of the torque converters of these 5HP24 ZF transmissions? The GM trannys on my 525i's have a separate fluid pan for the converter and so I can get more of the fluid out by dropping both pans. There is about 3.5 liters of fluid in the torque converter and I would like to replace all of the fluid. Probably isn't all that important as getting the filter changed and any metal shavings out of the pan magnets, but if possible I would like to do it.

I think that the E34 540's have the same issues, so hopefully somebody here will have some suggestions for me. Buying a bimmer from an entirely different era and platform is a bit scary to me, as I was just getting used to the issues on my 525i's.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

how do you know it doesn't use the shell LA 2634?
or does this chart imply that you can use either?

Bill R.
11-11-2004, 06:02 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/zftransfluid-1.jpg

how do you know it doesn't use the shell LA 2634?
or does this chart imply that you can use either?

Tiger
11-11-2004, 06:54 PM
All E38 are Esso fluid.. only on 540 of E34 is Shell.

Dick Schneiders
11-11-2004, 11:23 PM
conversation with the parts manager in a Wichita KS BMW dealership. I called today to see what parts they had in stock that I needed to change the auto tranny filter and fluid, and also the oil pan gasket kit to check on the oil pump bolts. When I asked for the tranny filter for the 1999 740i, he told me that there was no need to change the filter and fluid on these cars. After I patiently explained to him that I knew what the official BMW stance is and that I still wanted to do it, he then said that they did have the filter and Esso fluid in stock. I asked him, if there was no need to change the filter and fluid, then why did they stock replacements? He stuttered and stammered a bit, and said something like "well, just in case there is a problem with the tranny and they had to drop the pan". I told him that I certainly didn't want to wait until there was a "problem" before doing it.

I hope that when I get the parts they don't charge me double!

Bill R.
11-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Here (http://www.peterschmid.com/)

and Here f (http://www.jie.com/)or prices on that transmission fluid... one of them had it much cheaper...

conversation with the parts manager in a Wichita KS BMW dealership. I called today to see what parts they had in stock that I needed to change the auto tranny filter and fluid, and also the oil pan gasket kit to check on the oil pump bolts. When I asked for the tranny filter for the 1999 740i, he told me that there was no need to change the filter and fluid on these cars. After I patiently explained to him that I knew what the official BMW stance is and that I still wanted to do it, he then said that they did have the filter and Esso fluid in stock. I asked him, if there was no need to change the filter and fluid, then why did they stock replacements? He stuttered and stammered a bit, and said something like "well, just in case there is a problem with the tranny and they had to drop the pan". I told him that I certainly didn't want to wait until there was a "problem" before doing it.

I hope that when I get the parts they don't charge me double!

Dick Schneiders
11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
today and the prices, per liter, of the Esso stuff wasn't as different as I had read about. The BMW dealer said $26 a liter, and the VW dealer said $20. The big differece, though, is that the BMW dealer said it could only be purchased in a 20 liter drum, while the VW dealer had it available in single liter bottles! Now I really don't think I am going to need 20 liters of the stuff - heck it is supposed to last a "lifetime", right? Maybe I could put it into my will!

It appears to be so that VW Esso and BMW Esso is same thing... According to a simple search on Yahoo. I am getting a bit lazy at reading in full... Look like you are gettin a dang nice E38!

Dick Schneiders
11-12-2004, 12:12 AM
the 740 out on the highway, and the 90 mile trip to Wichita and back should be a nice little jaunt for me to get acquainted with her. Besides, I need to get another master key for the car, and the dealer is the only place to do this, I believe. Should take me about 60 minutes each way, I figure! :-)

Here (http://www.peterschmid.com/)

and Here f (http://www.jie.com/)or prices on that transmission fluid... one of them had it much cheaper...

liquidtiger720
11-12-2004, 12:31 AM
what fluid should be used in the 95 525iA? i dont see it on the chart anywhere.

im pretty sure i have dextron 3 in there right now.

Bill R.
11-12-2004, 12:41 AM
this chart instead for GM transmissions.. strassbourg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transfluid1.jpg

what fluid should be used in the 95 525iA? i dont see it on the chart anywhere.

im pretty sure i have dextron 3 in there right now.

charlie
11-12-2004, 09:34 AM

got ya. so on the E34 540 you have to use the Shell LA not the esso. any idea how much this stuff is? anywhere cheaper to buy it than the dealer?

Bill R.
11-12-2004, 09:50 AM
got ya. so on the E34 540 you have to use the Shell LA not the esso. any idea how much this stuff is? anywhere cheaper to buy it than the dealer?

Tiger
11-12-2004, 10:04 AM
No cheapie with Shell... $31 a quart.

Tiger
11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
I recall about $17 a quart from Kirt.

charlie
11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
No cheapie with Shell... $31 a quart.

$31 a qt. for the Shell from who?

MicahO
11-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Bill - wondering about a similar chart for manual trannies?

Specifically I'm wondering about fluids for trannies that call for BMW MTL-LT1.

Thanks in advance--

Tiger
11-12-2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.jie.com/ or Stealer

Bill R.
11-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Bill - wondering about a similar chart for manual trannies?

Specifically I'm wondering about fluids for trannies that call for BMW MTL-LT1.

Thanks in advance--

Hector
11-13-2004, 11:41 AM
see it on the chart. Also, I'm about to change the tranny fluid but never thought about changing the torque converter fluid. I'd like to know if the my car has the option to change this fluid as it looks as though it's dirty as I can see it slowly dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing one drop at a time. I guess I could get under the car and check but would rather save me the trouble from doing so.

Hector
11-14-2004, 11:52 AM
see it on the chart. Also, I'm about to change the tranny fluid but never thought about changing the torque converter fluid. I'd like to know if the my car has the option to change this fluid as it looks as though it's dirty as I can see it slowly dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing one drop at a time. I guess I could get under the car and check but would rather save me the trouble from doing so.

Bill R.
11-14-2004, 11:53 PM
torque converter goes, don't worry about it. Just change the fluid like you would on a normal change and then repeat it in a few days and you'll flush as much as is really needed. When you pull the pan and change the filter screen you'll end up using just a little over 3 quarts. If you then just drain the fluid again in a couple of days you'll end up replacing most of the fluid anyway. total volume of the transmission including the torque converter on the 535 is 7.5 liters, each fluid change will replace a little over 3 liters, so 2 changes in a week and you'll get most of it, or enough that i wouldn't worry about it. I change mine every time i do my engine oil. Its cheap for the fluid and dexron III/mercon is a semi synthetic fluid anyway. About every 20k i replace the pan gasket and screen the rest of the time i just change the fluid. Mine alway comes out looking clean.

Hector
11-15-2004, 05:23 PM
torque converter goes, don't worry about it. Just change the fluid like you would on a normal change and then repeat it in a few days and you'll flush as much as is really needed. When you pull the pan and change the filter screen you'll end up using just a little over 3 quarts. If you then just drain the fluid again in a couple of days you'll end up replacing most of the fluid anyway. total volume of the transmission including the torque converter on the 535 is 7.5 liters, each fluid change will replace a little over 3 liters, so 2 changes in a week and you'll get most of it, or enough that i wouldn't worry about it. I change mine every time i do my engine oil. Its cheap for the fluid and dexron III/mercon is a semi synthetic fluid anyway. About every 20k i replace the pan gasket and screen the rest of the time i just change the fluid. Mine alway comes out looking clean.