PDA

View Full Version : radiator quote

chamilun
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
local import shop quoted me $800 for an OE radiator, and $500 for an "after-market".

this was just for the part. anyone else get such high quotes???

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
try
www.radiator.com
or
www.radiators.com

even BMA is A LOT lower than that!

Jr ///M5
11-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Mr. Chamilun, please note what type of car you have with engine size and transmission type (manual or automatic).

Someone on the board might be able to help you in your search, I've got an old radiator from my '89 535iA that could be shipped out to someone in need.

Jr

chamilun
11-10-2004, 06:25 PM
thanks for the help, but i wasnt really asking where to find them. i was wondering why local places would be so high. i told the guy these radiators can be found easily for around $200, and he seemed shocked. according to him (truth unknown), his cost was over $600 for the OE radiator, and over $400 for the aftermarket.

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 06:28 PM
thanks for the help, but i wasnt really asking where to find them. i was wondering why local places would be so high. i told the guy these radiators can be found easily for around $200, and he seemed shocked. according to him (truth unknown), his cost was over $600 for the OE radiator, and over $400 for the aftermarket.

chamilun
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
he also really talked up how bad the leak was, and that all the coolant had leaked out overnight.

then the mechanic that actually fixed my leaking PS problem came in, and said it passed the pressure test, but then started "seeping" out under pressure, at the lower hose to the left of the radiator. i asked him to fill it with fluid and see how low it was. ended up being about 1/2 a gallon.

id been losing about half a gallon a week, mostly because i had a cracked expansion tank. new tank, but small leak in front.

probably end up replacing radiator myself, if in fact its bad. i checked it after driving home, and no leak around the hose he had talked about.

Mobius
11-10-2004, 11:04 PM
try
www.radiator.com
or
www.radiators.com

even BMA is A LOT lower than that!
BMA was by far the cheapest quote I got for my radiator a couple months ago. It only broke $200 once shipping was added.

The short answer as to why they charge so much for a radiator? Because people pay it.

JonE
11-11-2004, 12:10 PM
So, will you keep us informed about what happens, just expansion tank leak or radiator too?

chamilun
11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
ill update saturday

l8apex
11-11-2004, 07:20 PM
high-capacity, all aluminum radiator for my 1994 540i for about $900. You could probably order one from them cheaper than that, since they used measurements from my stock radiator to generate the CAD drawings used to make the new one. I had been having overheating problems driving on the track in summer, and I have now deleted the engine-driven fan with no cooling problems.
Dave B.

Robin-535im
11-11-2004, 07:54 PM
high-capacity, all aluminum radiator for my 1994 540i for about $900. You could probably order one from them cheaper than that, since they used measurements from my stock radiator to generate the CAD drawings used to make the new one. I had been having overheating problems driving on the track in summer, and I have now deleted the engine-driven fan with no cooling problems.
Dave B.
So your water pump has no fan attached? Is that a daily driver? I have never heard of that before. Sure would add back some parasitic power though. Your electric aux fan kicks on to pick up the extra load at idle I assume. Neat idea.

632 Regal
11-11-2004, 08:24 PM
So your water pump has no fan attached? Is that a daily driver? I have never heard of that before. Sure would add back some parasitic power though. Your electric aux fan kicks on to pick up the extra load at idle I assume. Neat idea.

PhilipJCaputo
11-11-2004, 10:04 PM
call up BMA.... 200 dollars for the radiator that patrick suggested for my car. I ordered it wednesday and it came friday or saturday (I forget, but I do live in ohio)

chamilun
11-16-2004, 04:11 PM
quick update.

radiator was indeed bad, although leak is intermittant. doesnt make sense, because it is physically cracked, and leaks LESS when driven, more when just sitting.

ordered from BMA for $255.

for everyones info: ask for Patrick, hell give you better prices!

94 530ia