PDA

View Full Version : Rear Window Shelf Removal

dternst
11-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm having difficulty removing the rear window shelf from my '95 530i (continuing with the interior restoration project). Anyone care to offer their expertise/experience?Has anyone documented removal/installtion?

Thanks in advance,

David

Mr Project
11-10-2004, 12:42 PM
IIRC, I just remove the seatback, pulled out the plastic pins that hold the shelf in, and then pulled firmly but carefully toward the front of the car. There are a couple of spring clips back by the rear window that hold the back of the shelf in.

It's been a few months, but I don't think there was any big trick to it.

Mr Project
11-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Oh, and I had mine covered in flexible automotive carpeting by a local upholstery shop. Very happy with the appearance, and it's quieter, too. I think it was $25. I really think it's the way to go if you aren't concerned with originality.

StuartB
11-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Yup.. should just pull out, you might have to bend it carefully to get it over the rear seatbelt mountings.

Jr ///M5
11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
With the rear seat back removed, (4 nuts on threaded studs, two in center by rear armrest two outboard on ends) Remove the pin clips along where the top of the rear seat meets the parcel shelf.

I don't remember if you remove the speaker grill or not, (it's hell getting old)

Gently lift the parcel shelf in the middle and pull toward you at the same time. There are 3 or 4 clips that are attached at the rear of the shelf. Just give it a good tug forward. It will take a little coaxing, dealing with the rear roof angle, but it will come out just fine.

Good luck David, it's going to look good when it's all done!

Jr

Hey! It's been a year since I've been to Texas! =)

dternst
11-10-2004, 06:41 PM
I was looking at the pictures just the other day. Ain't it funny how time flies?