PDA

View Full Version : Wipers and fan only work at high speed, what's wrong?

Beau
11-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey guys, new member, with '92 525i (160k miles).

Two unrelated issues

#1 My wipers recently stopped working except for the ultra high speed. The spray function doesn't work either. It happened suddenly, I was curious if you thought it was the switch in the column or the relay. Which is more common? I was assuming it was the switch. It has the built in phone function if that means anything (but the phone isn't installed).

#2 The climate control fan also only works on high, has been like that since I bought it. I tried to get to the back of the panel but had poor luck. Before I go head first into it, I was wondering if you thought it was the in dash switch, or the motor (hopefully not).

Thanks for any comments or suggestions, even if it's just about testing them. I own an '88 M3, so I'm familiar with BMW's of this era, but new to 5er's...

peks
11-10-2004, 12:37 PM
#2 The climate control fan also only works on high, has been like that since I bought it. I tried to get to the back of the panel but had poor luck. Before I go head first into it, I was wondering if you thought it was the in dash switch, or the motor (hopefully not).

Blower series resistor. cheap easy fix. check out brunos site
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/sword.htm

PhilipJCaputo
11-10-2004, 02:52 PM
So thats what the "sword" is :)

MickeyD
11-10-2004, 08:46 PM
With the wiper problem, I had similar issue in that wipers worked sometimes and sometimes just stopped. After consulting with two local shops who worked on BMW, not "stealers", I was told by both the issue is the wiper moter has a chip that controls wiper and entire moter needs replacement. I had it done and problem was fixed.
91 525.

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 09:21 PM
I read it was in the motor also but was waiting for a rebuttal first befor posting. You should check the wiper bushings at the base of the wiper and the arm linkaged under the cowel before investing. A little grease can go a long way and the bushings do wear out.

Scott E
11-10-2004, 10:46 PM
If you need to replace the SWORD in your e34 (fan only working on 4) then you should contact David at the following email address

ameristar@comcast.net

He sells rebuilt units for far less than BMA

Blower series resistor. cheap easy fix. check out brunos site
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/sword.htm

Beau
11-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks guys.

Since it's a 92, from what I understand I don't even have a "sword" right? I'll have to check it out to be sure though. But at the very least, you're say it's unlikely that the in dash dial is the culprit, right?

As for the wipers, they ALWAYS work in ultra-high speed... it was only recently that I suddenly lost the lower speeds and the washerfluid function. It wasn't that they were working during a drive and then quit either, I just started the car and wanted to clear dew from the windscreen and got nothing but superspeed. Since I lost the fluid function too, I have a hard time imagining that it's the wiper motor... hmmm

ryan roopnarine
11-11-2004, 01:35 AM
re: wipers....i'd try this

open the underseat back seat electrical modules up (unscrew and remove the cover)
hit each part of it with light force with the palm of your hand
wait 10 minutes

try it out.....

my wipers on occasion will die or stick in superfast, and this is what usually clears it up. i'm thinking there's a wiper speed control relay back there that is getting intermittent that the palm strike is "helping" along.

Paul in NZ
11-11-2004, 01:43 AM
that there is a module back there that controls the wiper speed.along with the light delay etc......is it called the general module or something like that?

JonE
11-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Beau,
You're probably right about the blower resistor pack, you likely have the cheaper, easier resistor replacement. If by some strange twist you don't find it under that panel above your knees, then certainly call David in ScottE's post for sword repair. He did mine and I'm completely happy with it. Good price too. But, I think you have the resistor pack...

Beau
12-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Digging up my old thread...

Just wanted to let you guys know the the climate control fan randomly decided to start working.

The wipers... well... they are still only hyperactive, other speeds not functional. I'm continuing to investigate, I'm avoiding replacing the motor...

talltorontoguy
12-02-2004, 11:56 PM
In my 92 I had the resistor pack above the knees. If I recall, it was about $50 from the dealer (CDN$). Installation was easy, hard part was getting access... 30 minute job.