PDA

View Full Version : BF Goodrich Traction T/A vs. Michelin Pilot XGTV4

rockyfeller
11-10-2004, 12:31 AM
I want a set of V rated rubber for my stock 225/60/15s. I originally was set on getting a set of Michelin Pilot XGTV4s but I am turned off knowing there is no treadwear warranty (That is ridiculous! They should offer at least 25k warranty) They are sooo expensive but I like the tread design and the dry performance looks promising. The wet/snow performance seems to have mixed opinions. Lately I have been swayed to the BF Goodrich Traction T/As. They amazingly offer a 60k warranty (unheard of in a V rated tire!), are much cheaper and seem to offer better wet/snow performance. I'd like to hear any feedback from anyone having either of these tires or anyone else who recommends a better tire with superior all-weather performance, good treadwear and warranty.

Sweetwater
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
I want a set of V rated rubber for my stock 225/60/15s. I originally was set on getting a set of Michelin Pilot XGTV4s but I am turned off knowing there is no treadwear warranty (That is ridiculous! They should offer at least 25k warranty) They are sooo expensive but I like the tread design and the dry performance looks promising. The wet/snow performance seems to have mixed opinions. Lately I have been swayed to the BF Goodrich Traction T/As. They amazingly offer a 60k warranty (unheard of in a V rated tire!), are much cheaper and seem to offer better wet/snow performance. I'd like to hear any feedback from anyone having either of these tires or anyone else who recommends a better tire with superior all-weather performance, good treadwear and warranty.

I'm running a set since April. The first 5K miles have been great on dry and wet pavement. I will not run them in the snow. Here in Utah, a rear wheel drive car needs serious dedicated snow tires with studs IMHO. If you only see and inch or less, slush or rain, I might be tempted to try to get by. I'll revert to the 4wd pickup for snow and skiing expeditions. New carb on the snowblower as of last night, hope the 6 year drought is over.

rockyfeller
11-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Which set are you running Sweetwater? And how are they specifically in rain? My Pirelli HP's are like skating on ice when it's just raining. You can imagine how dangerous they are in snow. (NYC area) I have thought of getting Blizzaks too, but if I can get by on just all-seasons I'd be happy.

Bellicose Right Winger
11-10-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm approaching 50k on a set of 225/60-15 BFG Touring TA VR4's. This is a V-rated all season tire. Not exactly the same tire, but may be representative. Mine are likely good for another 5-10k. Not bad for a $75 tire from Costco. Tire pressure is a big factor in tread life, I run 36psi front, 32psi rear. These pressures really help equalize wear across the tread, for my driving style anyway. I also have a pair of mounted snows I put on at the first snowfall.

Paul Shovestul

rockyfeller
11-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Wow I run 41 psi rear, as that's what the manual recommends. Installers will always say otherwise, I don't think their data is as accurate as BMW's. So you were happy with the Touring T/As? The Traction T/As really are a different animal. The tread design is different and the Traction T/A are much stiffer/heavier. How was Costco's service? I wanted to buy from them but they don't seem to sell Traction T/As in this size for some reason.

Sweetwater
11-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Which set are you running Sweetwater? And how are they specifically in rain? My Pirelli HP's are like skating on ice when it's just raining. You can imagine how dangerous they are in snow. (NYC area) I have thought of getting Blizzaks too, but if I can get by on just all-seasons I'd be happy.

I thought the question was about the BFG Traction TA's and that's what I'm running. So far, I like 'em. Haven't felt skitish in the rain at all, but then, I still have essentially full tread.

Gooch
11-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Very happy with my investment. What's nice about the tire is it has a stiff side wall. The 225s are not low profile so the stiff side wall helps cornering and the ride. The tires are rated at 35 psi max. I like to keep them at 30-32 for a softer ride and that sidewall helps. Traction has been great in the rain. The rubber is not soft hence the 60K mile warranty but I didn't want soft especially in NE. I've had them about 4K miles with hardly any wear.

callen
11-10-2004, 01:52 PM
On third set of Michelin's. They wear really good....twice that of what I experienced with Yoko's. Also good grip and smooth. I now have them on both my 535 and 530i. Highly recommend. My 535i had shimmy at 55 but no more. Worth the expense.

Callen

Tiger
11-10-2004, 08:27 PM
41PSI is fully loaded and high speed meaning over 120MPH... Boy! That must be rough in NYC.

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 09:25 PM
can feel cigarette butts as you roll over them.

rockyfeller
11-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Well it sounds high to me as well but on the last page of the owner's manual for the 1994 530i/540i with 225/60/15s they recommend 41psi rear not necessarily at full load. Going 120mph would be silly as that would be just 10mph shy of my H-rated limit. Less psi for the rear is required for the 525i/535i.

rockyfeller
11-11-2004, 02:09 AM
Do you have the H rated on V rated version? Physically the tire seems robust and heavy. The tires have special steel belts into the shoulders. Stiff sidewalls are good for 2 things: Hard-edged handling and strength to prevent curbing. Michelins classically have soft sidewalls (for a better finish/better ride) so can get curb-ripped/bubbles easily.

Bellicose Right Winger
11-11-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm a fan of high tire pressure up to the point it causes center wear. 41 psi would cause excessive center wear on my E34's. It might be OK if car was fully loaded. What pressure is shown on the B-pillar sticker? I've got zero complaints with the Touring TA's. Costco did a good job and rebalancing is free. Looks like BFG has dropped the Touring TA, they don't mention it on their web site. I can't help but wonder if the Traction TA is the replacement. You might ask Costco if they can order the Traction TA, they seem to have access to many more tires then they keep in stock. They had to order my 225/60-15's.

Paul Shovestul

Wow I run 41 psi rear, as that's what the manual recommends. Installers will always say otherwise, I don't think their data is as accurate as BMW's. So you were happy with the Touring T/As? The Traction T/As really are a different animal. The tread design is different and the Traction T/A are much stiffer/heavier. How was Costco's service? I wanted to buy from them but they don't seem to sell Traction T/As in this size for some reason.

Gooch
11-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Yup, stiff sidewalls are needed for this size tire. I went with the H's because I'm cheap and didn't think I'd be driving at V rated speeds anway. I had Dunlops from the previous owner. They tramlined horribly. The BFGs don't tramline.

rockyfeller
11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Nice! So I guess I'll pick BF, it just seems logical, better all-weather performance/warranty/value. The Michelins defintely look more cool, have better brand image and probably have better dry grip but cost a lot and have no warranty.

rockyfeller
11-11-2004, 11:07 AM
The Traction T/A really is a different animal than the other types BF has even if their names sound close. The sticker on my car asks for 41psi, for real! Good advice is a tire is always better off slightly overinflated rather than underinflated. Undissipating heat in an underinflated tire can increase the chances of premature failure. The tire has a Max psi, no one should go by this. That is the maximum psi the TIRE can handle. This same size tire can be used on different vehicles. BMW gives the specific pressure for the model/wheel package. I wish Costco posted a price, I plan to get a price match from a local installer I'd rather deal with. Anyone know a place to get the best possible price? (even with installation/road hazzard)