PDA

View Full Version : NICKELSIL enchanced???

grease
11-09-2004, 08:06 PM
I am new to this forum, as you probably can tell. I wonder what does nickelsil enchanced mean. I see people state it when describing there car.
????

DueyT
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
:D

It's a bit of humour used by some of us with original M60 V8 engines. The 1994 and 1995 V8's were cast with a Nikasil alloy...primarily aluminum but with a high nickel content in the metal. A problem was noted with gasoline that had high sulphur content...the combustion process created sulphuric acid that corroded the upper portion of the cylinder bore and caused lack of compression and poor running.

Most folks think of it as a North American M60 V8 problem but there were also problems in the UK and other European countries, as well as some Euro versions of the M52 engine.

BMW replaced faulty/affected engines..most with a new "Alusil" alloy engine block (although some early replacements were actually another Nikasil engine).

A "leakdown check" will help determine if the engine is affected with the internal corrosion problem. Several of us (Jeff (632 Regal) and I in particular) have original Nikasil motors in v.good shape and we're quite happy with them.

Being informed about the issue and having a potential purchase vehicle with an M60 V8 leakdown tested should determine whether a vehicle is worth purchasing or potentially a candidate for an expensive engine replacement.

Here's a good read on the issue: http://www.lestac.co.uk/bmw/nikasil.htm

Cheers,
Duey

infinity5
11-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Nikasil was an attempt at a nickle/alluminim/sillicone engine alloy. the high sulfer content U.S. gas used to have reacted with the nickle(?).. and made them fail. I can't find the link, but there was a good one with a good explination. if your car has a good deal of miles on it and it's still fine then its doubtful you'll need to worry.. lets see.. oh and it was only for the V-8 engines (m60) on the 540/40... i'm not entirely sure there's anything particulary enchancing about having a nikasil block.. heh... are they lighter?

correct me if i'm wrong (woohoo look i contributed somehting besides a newbie question!!!)

I am new to this forum, as you probably can tell. I wonder what does nickelsil enchanced mean. I see people state it when describing there car.
????

infinity5
11-09-2004, 08:58 PM
:(

scott540
11-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Duey and Jeff, as far as I know I too am Nickasil enhanced. I've tried finding the casting number on the block but can't seem to. Part of me really doesn't want to know so I haven't tried real hard. So is it on the passenger side or drivers side? Do you need to take his belly cover off or can you see up to the numbers with it on? Brett Anderson's web site says on the right side but that gets confusing for me when I'm upside down underneath the car. :p

winfred
11-09-2004, 09:06 PM
they had a 6 cylinder that did it in europe also so it wasn't just yankee gas, they didn't find the fix till around 96-97 so at first they were replacing them with motors that could and would screw up just as bad. i don't think they ever figured out that went wrong with the coating, nic is not inherently bad as it's been used for dozens of years on a wide range of motors with great success even by bmw

winfred
11-09-2004, 09:07 PM
by the starter

Duey and Jeff, as far as I know I too am Nickasil enhanced. I've tried finding the casting number on the block but can't seem to. Part of me really doesn't want to know so I haven't tried real hard. So is it on the passenger side or drivers side? Do you need to take his belly cover off or can you see up to the numbers with it on? Brett Anderson's web site says on the right side but that gets confusing for me when I'm upside down underneath the car. :p

632 Regal
11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
displaces about 1.5 hp per cc more than an identical Alusil block. While the displacement is the same the pistons and rings are different resulting in almost "turbo" style of acceleration especially with a worthy engine management chip. You of course with a chip or without have the mandatory fixture of extra fuel prices because throughout the Nikasil future. Nikasil isnt acclimated to high sulpher fuels or low octane so you must use that rule or you can have a relapse and have to invest in the lower output and expensive Alusil V8 option. You cannot use the Nikasil pistons or rings in an alusil block as that would be an automatid referral to the copyright infringement act and your car will immediately be taken to the impound in the sky.

all that said, Deweys post was more relivent.

JayBMW535
11-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Was it also common to the late e32's and early e38's with the V-8 engines? I have been thinking of purchasing an e32.

632 Regal
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
slide under from the front and look directly above the starter just to the front of it, write the numbers down, count your blessings and be a proud owner.

winfred
11-09-2004, 09:20 PM
yep

Was it also common to the late e32's and early e38's with the V-8 engines? I have been thinking of purchasing an e32.

winfred
11-09-2004, 09:21 PM
all that said, Deweys post was more relivent.

DueyT
11-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Ya think?:D

Jeff must have Nikatosis! *LOL*

Cheers
Duey

Tiger
11-09-2004, 11:18 PM
It is blocked by the two hoses/pipes from the bottom... you really gotta try to see past it. Passenger side. Use flashlight to aim at it.

wengenstein
11-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Last weekend I finally got around to checking it out once and for all, I found that I am in fact a member of the club :). Aside from Jeff and I, who else here's got a nikasil enhanced e34?

JonE
11-10-2004, 12:09 PM
"Nikasil is not only lighter but...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

displaces about 1.5 hp per cc more than an identical Alusil block."

Jeff,
How did you figure this out? Don't you have a 3liter engine? That's alot of CC's! That thing must fly!

DueyT
11-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Last weekend I finally got around to checking it out once and for all, I found that I am in fact a member of the club :). Aside from Jeff and I, who else here's got a nikasil enhanced e34?
This one's got it!:D
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540F1-Lg.JPG

632 Regal
11-10-2004, 10:36 PM
and the BMW logo isnt straight up on the drivers side wheel.

damn sweet **** tho!

chamilun
11-10-2004, 11:03 PM
lets put out a call for anyone who has had their personal V8 affected by the nikasil problem. not heard about, or had a friend, but actually had their vehicle have compression failure and need block replacement.

SharkmanBMW
11-11-2004, 12:42 PM
I am pretty sure I still have the nikasil, and it idles smooth and the car rips when I put the hammer down!

Messerschmitt
11-11-2004, 06:17 PM
1994 530ia
181,000 miles
Nikasil block and original Tranny

632 Regal
11-11-2004, 07:19 PM
like I did to Winfreds posts. only 20k to catch up...hmmm